Poor Running - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-10-10, 11:17 AM   #1
jmkent

Default Poor Running

My 407 (2.0HDI 2005) isn't running all that well at times - it tends to hesitate on acceleration between 1500-1700rpm for a second, and then continues on as normal. This is normally after a gear change, then acceleration. The hesitation is only for a second, but I feel the car lurch and then go on, a bit like its being choked and then goes as normal. The problem has been around for the last few months, and although its been into Peugeot for service etc, they have found no fault as there are no error codes generated
Now I've been reading around, but I can only assume its something to do with the air intake in some how (numerous causes I believe). Can anyone give any way of testing if the following are working correctly:
- MAF sensor
- air manifold inlet temp
- MAP sensor (wherever it maybe?)
- EGR valve (again, wherever this is located?)
I'm not sure which of the above could be causing the symptons I'm experiencing, but its really starting to annoy me that its still there! I'm convinced that whatever it maybe is also causing more fuel to be used - average mpg is only 36, which I think is pretty poor for this car.
Any help appreciated - don't think I'll get anywhere back with Peugeot as no error code means no fault!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-10-10, 11:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent
My 407 (2.0HDI 2005) isn't running all that well at times - it tends to hesitate on acceleration between 1500-1700rpm for a second, and then continues on as normal. This is normally after a gear change, then acceleration. The hesitation is only for a second, but I feel the car lurch and then go on, a bit like its being choked and then goes as normal. The problem has been around for the last few months, and although its been into Peugeot for service etc, they have found no fault as there are no error codes generated
Now I've been reading around, but I can only assume its something to do with the air intake in some how (numerous causes I believe). Can anyone give any way of testing if the following are working correctly:
- MAF sensor
- air manifold inlet temp
- MAP sensor (wherever it maybe?)
- EGR valve (again, wherever this is located?)
I'm not sure which of the above could be causing the symptons I'm experiencing, but its really starting to annoy me that its still there! I'm convinced that whatever it maybe is also causing more fuel to be used - average mpg is only 36, which I think is pretty poor for this car.
Any help appreciated - don't think I'll get anywhere back with Peugeot as no error code means no fault!
to me its sounds like the fuel not getting to the engine properly (clean/replace the Bosch Fuel Filter Assembly??) or Injectors ?? without plugging into Planet its very hard to tell..

Out of the above possible problems you have highlighted above, I suspect it could be the EGR too.. Its very easy to clean. PM me your Chasis number I should be able to get some diagrams for you..

cheers

Never post your VIN on the thread, if you need help please PM your VIN to one of the MODs
Share the knowledge and help your fellow forum members
Scotcruz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-10-10, 05:28 PM   #3
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotcruz
to me its sounds like the fuel not getting to the engine properly (clean/replace the Bosch Fuel Filter Assembly??) or Injectors ?? without plugging into Planet its very hard to tell..

Out of the above possible problems you have highlighted above, I suspect it could be the EGR too.. Its very easy to clean. PM me your Chasis number I should be able to get some diagrams for you..

cheers
Thanks - PM sent.
Fuel filter all replaced - air in the diesel, thought that may be a problem, but hasn't made any difference.
The more websites I read, the more it sounds like the egr valve. As there is no error code for it when on diag. does this mean cleaning could solve it rather than replacing? Save plenty if so
The egr was on their mind when I've asked Pug to look at it, but as there is no error code he wouldn't replace @ 200 in case it wasn't.

Old 31-10-10, 12:04 PM   #4
jmkent

Removing the egr valve - what an absolute nightmare job!
Wherever I read that said it could be done in half an hour obviously hasn't done one before. There is absolutely no room to work, can't get socket & ratchet on anything, even spanners can only just work on some. How would it even come out - from behind and below I presume, can't be from the top without removing all the air intake pipework.
In summary, couldn't get the 8mm bolts undone so cannot remove to clean - going to have to pay to have it done at the garage
Has anyone actually managed to get theirs off?
Old 01-11-10, 07:48 PM   #5
jmkent

Why won't they just take my advice - afterall, I've probably done part of their job for them anyhow... but yet again, all Peugeot want to do is 'run a diagnostic' .... can't they understand that they've done it before, it said no fault, they said no fault.... I know there IS a fault... but that damn computer doesn't think there is... something to be said for good old diagnosis

Anyway, rant over
Old 01-11-10, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent
Why won't they just take my advice - afterall, I've probably done part of their job for them anyhow... but yet again, all Peugeot want to do is 'run a diagnostic' .... can't they understand that they've done it before, it said no fault, they said no fault.... I know there IS a fault... but that damn computer doesn't think there is... something to be said for good old diagnosis

Anyway, rant over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdjCb4LwQY
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-10, 03:58 PM   #7
jmkent

Sums it up perfectly

And I thought it was going to be a video to help with my problem

Fallen out with Peugeot today - don't think they liked it because I refused to pay another 49.99 diag. charge when they've done one before and said no fault. Why is it that all they can do is plug in the laptop, what happened to the old way of fault finding?
Old 03-11-10, 09:13 AM   #8
jmkent

Bought some more tools and attempted to remove egr again, this time successfully. Cleaned out what I could (can't really get inside it properly to clean). All put back together on the car, and so far there isn't any change with the lurching on acceleration - fuel economy seems to be a little better at the minute, but still early days.

Last edited by jmkent; 03-11-10 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 02:26 PM   #9
jmkent

Touch wood, it would seem that my fault is finally cured. I'd removed and cleaned the EGR valve twice, but to no avail, the problem remained. Took it in to Peugeot who hooked it up and said that nothing was showing a fault. Their technician went through the "book of problems" that they have from Peugeot, and as I'd thought myself, all the symptoms point to a faulty EGR valve, yet mine wasn't showing a fault. The technician believed a software update might be the cure, but couldn't do this as I still had the original EGR valve on the car, which isn't compatible with the new software... most apparently were replaced under warranty as they tended to fail - mine the exception! Peugeot didn't recommend replacing EGR and update software because the EGR wasn't showing a fault - leave it until it does fail, then they'll know for sure.
However, its been driving me crazy for months now, so I bit the bullet and had the EGR replaced (upgraded to latest version) and the software updated... and so far, so good. Touch wood, this was all it needed... albeit whether it was the EGR or the software, we'll never know
Old 10-01-11, 09:46 AM   #10
Inactive User

Scot, could you tell me where my chasis number is so I can PM it to you? I dont have much time in work so I want to go right to it when looking for it.

I think I have a similar problem but don't want to rip my car apart unnecesseraly. Any info you could give me would be much appreciated.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in