peugeot 407 road noise/rumble - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-16, 10:14 AM   #1
Inactive User

Angry peugeot 407 road noise/rumble

needed a bit of work done on my 2010 407 2.0 hdi . 2 x cv boots, 1 x cv joint, 2 x skf frip/ bottom ball joints. topped gearbox oil with 1 litre 75w/80 . all sorted and back on the road. new tyres( goodyear) with noise rating of 68. jobs all done at the same time. now I have a noisy car when driving. on some roads it is quieter than on other roads. front end seems tight enough with steering spot on. doesn't seem like wheel bearings as noise doesn't alter when cornering. suspension seems a bit noisy on rough tarmac. tried swapping tyres from rear, they made it worse. cannot get my head around it. different people telling me different things. bottom hub bush, intermediate driveshaft bearing etc. help please, its doing my head in.
robbie77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-01-16, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive User

flew through its m.o.t. yesterday but noise and rumble still there. going to try the bottom hub bushes next, if I can work out how to make a bush puller. steering is great, suspension feels a bit bumpy. Ah well, see how it gets on.
Old 19-01-16, 07:50 PM   #3
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Hi,
I've had a similar situation.
Changed a FRIP joint and wheel bearings (both were buggered) and the driveshaft bearing but still I'm sure it's noisier than it should be.

However, I hit a brand new piece of tarmac on the M5 and it was perfectly silent! It seems that some surfaces really upset it. Drop links are next on my agenda.
rwb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-01-16, 10:28 PM   #4
Inactive User

Done the drop links, what a job. Both sides needed me to get the grinder out. 3 hours in total. Aching all the next day. Changed loads of these on previous cars but this one, nightmare. One minute I am plumping for bearings, next day I am thinking of something else. On new Tarmac it is quiet but it also seems that there is something suspension related. May plump for new hubs if I can't get it right. Turning not a money pit.
Old 20-01-16, 06:36 AM   #5

Why bother if its passed its MOT?
Old 20-01-16, 07:07 AM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolmd View Post
Why bother if its passed its MOT?
Because to me it's still not right. I like to know how things work and to trust that it is not making things worse.
Old 20-01-16, 07:16 AM   #7
Inactive User

Had a similar problem on a Ford Focus estate a few years ago. All the symptoms the same. Changed the wishbones and the car was great again. Different suspension set up though. The bottom ball joint on the focus, which was part of the wishbone was the culprit then. I don't like the set up on the Peugeot with the frip joint. A blind man could tell that it is a weak point. Worked on cars for over 35 years doing my own repairs and also picking the brains of others but this one is pissing me off.
Old 20-01-16, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie77 View Post
Because to me it's still not right. I like to know how things work and to trust that it is not making things worse.
Mine rattles most of the time. Got a rattle at the rear at minute, which has been there for over a year.
It gets fixed if it fails its MOT.
Malcolm.
Old 20-01-16, 11:41 AM   #9
Inactive User

This rumbling noise seems to afflict the 5008 as well!
See https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-noise-192066/

I am following your experiments with interest.

WR
warmrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-01-16, 08:11 AM   #10
Inactive User

Funny thing happened yesterday. Working in the car, it's a taxi, and decided to give it a bit of welly going over a few bumps. Thought it would help me decide which way to go with the car. Been thinking all day about the problem. Hey presto, no rough ride, hardly any road noise. Car smooth again. Now I knew what it was. The middle bush on the wishbone had moved in its mount causing the wishbone to move about. It couldn't pop right out as it is bolted in but enough movement to give me the problems. Later on after going over yet more speed bumps. The noise reappeared and went and reappeared again. Not messing about with a new bush though. Going to get a pair of wishbones, good oe ones and fit them. Seems like a big weight shifted now. Let you know when I have done the job and the results but I am convinced that I have cracked it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in