Peugeot Forums banner

Persistent oil leak after repair

5K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  sonichedgehog 
#1 ·
Does the following story seem familiar? (2000 petrol, EW10 engine)

My garage rebuilt cylinder head & valves about 8 months ago, corrected various noises and poor running/economy. Runs like new. But there has been an oil leak, might have started then but not sure. The oil ends up at the back of the engine behind the belt cover, then runs onto the bottom cover. Mucky but no serious amount lost, so could live with it.

2 weeks ago, the garage renewed the exhaust camshaft oil seal, along with other work, and took some money off the bill for the earlier job. Still leaking and they are going to do the seal again at their own expense, but would have liked to check the crank oil seal, unable to get the pulley off to check. Like most garages, they rely on the power tools, I am sure that bracing the pulley with reinforced jubilee clip will deal with it (has worked before). Their comment is that they often have Pugs in with oil leaks due to design faults..?

Their theory is, the belt is moving the oil up into the back of the belt cover, so it might not be the exhaust cam seal after all; and it only happens under normal driving, so when they checked with engine idling it doesn't happen.

I've used this garage for years, I think they're good. I'll probably have to put up with the leak. But before the engine gets reassembled (tomorrow) I'd welcome any comments about the possible causes- and the amount of work involved in doing the crank oil seal, bearing in mind that the timing belt is off anyway?

See less See more
#4 ·
Head gasket seems OK. The exhaust (rear) cam carrier seal is leaking again, garage are going to replace it- its now the 3rd new one on 8 months so I'd expect a problem with the camshaft. Worse, there's a slight leak around the crank oil seal area and the garage can't undo the bolt. Last time the belt was replaced I took it off myself, it was a war, so I can understand the garage not wanting to risk damage to the crankshaft.

Car worth £1500 (80000m, 2004, worn) & next time there's a problem requiring belt removal it's impossible to fix. Good money after bad?:nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.