Over Reving - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-11, 07:14 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Over Reving

Good Morning All,

Will driving over the week-end noticed the following:

Pulling away in first and change to second at about 4, 500rpm, the revs will climbed and not fall back while changing gears. Changing from second to third and upwards will be normal with the revs falling while changing gears. Is this normal?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Gerhard.
Advertisement

Old 07-05-11, 06:05 PM   #2
Inactive User

No this isnt normal, mine did the same thing too and i believe the clutch is at fault here, someone on another forum had this fault too and took it to the dealers who wanted 400 quid to repair it so im assuming its a new clutch.

with mine i sold it on before i could rectify it
dazwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-11, 07:20 PM   #3
jmkent

Thats definitely a different driving style to majority of drivers I know.... up to 4500rpm in 1st before changing... can't be getting very good fuel economy at that rate. Take it the car isn't a diesel??
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-11, 06:29 AM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazwalsh View Post
No this isnt normal, mine did the same thing too and i believe the clutch is at fault here, someone on another forum had this fault too and took it to the dealers who wanted 400 quid to repair it so im assuming its a new clutch.

Oh dear!!
Old 09-05-11, 06:31 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
Thats definitely a different driving style to majority of drivers I know.... up to 4500rpm in 1st before changing... can't be getting very good fuel economy at that rate. Take it the car isn't a diesel??
Hi,

No it is a petrol. Normally I will change at much lower revs. But I was in a hurry.
Old 09-05-11, 11:28 AM   #6
chopper1192

Quote:

Why buy a car if you can't afford/are unwilling to maintain or repair it when it goes wrong?

I always titter when people buy a big, complicated car, and then complain when they get big, complicated bills. Sounds like your wallet was punching above it's weight when you bought it.
Old 09-05-11, 07:17 PM   #7
jmkent

Quote:

I doubt it was the clutch - a dealer wouldn't change a clutch on a 407 for 400.... no chance!
Old 09-05-11, 07:53 PM   #8
chopper1192

The clutch can be bought from 100-160, depending who you buy it from and the make - remember, the petrol engine clutch is simplicity itself.

Add a couple of hours labour, slap on some VAT and you're around the 400 mark.
Old 09-05-11, 07:58 PM   #9
jmkent

The petrol engine must be a lot simpler and easier to work on than the 2.0HDI then... the clutch for mine was in excess of 200 from various motor factors, and dealer price nearer 300.... plus the labour on mine was booked at 7-8hrs, either by the dealer or local independent... I know its said that diesels cost more for parts, etc, but that is a massive difference.
Old 10-05-11, 07:58 PM   #10
chopper1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
The petrol engine must be a lot simpler and easier to work on than the 2.0HDI then...
One helluva lot.

One the HDi's the clutch arrangement is different, and if you're unlucky you're looking at DMF too. Bang goes any cash saved on fewell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in