Which oil, really? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-18, 02:45 PM   #1

Default Which oil, really?

So I know that Ineo 5w30 ECS is the recommended oil for 1.6hdi but what's the difference really?

I mean if I use another compatible oil what will happen? I assume it'd be fine, but what's the difference between the a compatible oil from a different company? eg, Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 C2..

Also, I was in my local auto parts shop last week and I asked if they had Ineo ECS, but they said "No, but we have Ineo MCM, which is our own type" What does this even mean?

Would that be fine too? I've never even heard of it..

I'll probably get the ECS when it's time to change, but I'm just curious..
Advertisement

Old 06-05-18, 06:31 PM   #2
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

AFAIK 5W-30 C2 is the specification and you should only use oil (any oil) that meets that specification.

That's certainly what I've been doing -- although I have actually been using Total Quartz Ineo ECS recently.
rwb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-18, 04:17 PM   #3

Most oil companies make oils compatible for the requirements of mainstream cars.
Any reputable motor factor should have suitable oil for your engine, albeit not necessarily the make recommended by the vehicle makers.

Roger.

Old 08-05-18, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post
AFAIK 5W-30 C2 is the specification and you should only use oil (any oil) that meets that specification.

That's certainly what I've been doing -- although I have actually been using Total Quartz Ineo ECS recently.
I've got a 5L of Ineo coming in the post soon, said I might as well check it out, see if I'll notice any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
Most oil companies make oils compatible for the requirements of mainstream cars.
Any reputable motor factor should have suitable oil for your engine, albeit not necessarily the make recommended by the vehicle makers.

Roger.
Indeed. I'd trust stuff from the motor factors alright, in a pinch, I suppose. Maybe not the cheapest no-name stuff on eBay though! I don't know enough about the ins and outs of it to be taking a chance..
Old 16-05-18, 08:28 PM   #5

C2 is the important bit of information, any cheap oil with that grading is what you need - viscosity rating is your choice but as mentioned 5W-30 is the standard. ebay is your friend!
icooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-05-18, 08:43 PM   #6

I would avoid ebay bargains for car parts, including oil.
If it's not up to the right standard, or (unfortunately far from unknown) fake, good luck getting redress.
The right oil for your engine will cost around £30-40, how much will you spend on fuel between services, to put it in perspective?.

Roger.
Old 17-05-18, 08:51 PM   #7

Default engine oil type

Hiya - go onto any motor factor website like OPIE oils.com ....enter your reg. number and it will show you the selection of popular oils for your vehicle...most well known ones are listed....
hope that helps
richok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-05-18, 08:56 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm not suggesting cheap knock offs from some unknown place, I usually get Shell options on my oil at a fraction the price shops/motor factors sell it for, it's just being efficient with how and where you buy from, oil is expensive - but doesn't have to be a rip off, that's all I was really getting at, I certainly wouldn't condone some of the cheap rubbish out there as you are right you don't know what you are actually getting.
icooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-05-18, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
If it's not up to the right standard, or (unfortunately far from unknown) fake, good luck getting redress.
The right oil for your engine will cost around £30-40, how much will you spend on fuel between services, to put it in perspective?.

Roger.
Yea, it would be a bit silly to save Ä10 by buying cheap oil alright, since I spend about Ä40-50 a week on diesel! My Ineo ECS arrived last week from MisterAuto, but they posted the oil filter separately and it still hasn't arrived! ffs..
I did throw in almost a litre of the Ineo though, since it was a bit low on oil. I'm thinking it'll soak up some crap in the engine while it's sloshing around in there for a few days.
The 4l (and a bit) should do me fine for the change.. 3.5l plus a bit for the filter if I remember correctly.

I cheaped-out last year alright, and bought a Ä10 abs sensor alright from ebay, it died on me within a year, probably 7-8 months. lol.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in