Oil leak? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-17, 11:14 AM   #1

Default Oil leak?

Hi.
Noticed under the car oil coming from a pipe that joins from rubber to metal on the underside of the car. Which in turn puts a thin layer of oil onto the edge of the gear box.
I've been told it's an intercooler pipe. And it's nothing to worry about as it's not excessive. But oil is coming from somewhere it shouldn't be so would like it sorting. If you require pictures I might be able to get them tonight or later this week.

Any ideas where it could come from. The join is held together with a metal clip. Not very tight tho. Oil level never seems to go down. My water is going down a little but no leaks?
One thing after another. 2.2 hdi odd ball thing.
DavidB236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-17, 05:18 PM   #2

There's always a little bit of oil mist getting into the intake system on turbo engines, it originates from the turbo itself. A turbo spins up around 200000 rpm iirc and runs on a very thin oil film bearing. It's inevitable that a bit of oil then goes into the intake and like I said, completely normal. It's only an issue when there is too much oil going through - indicates a turbo replacement. However you have said you haven't noticed a drop in engine oil level, so you should be fine and you have to remember, the 2.2 hdi runs a twin turbo setup so there is more oil going into the intake.

I would look at getting the intercooler cleaned up and of course, replacing the clip that's causing the leak.

As to the water leak, it could be anything, pin prick hole on the radiator, cap that doesn't quite fit right... who knows.

Don't blame it on being a shitting peugeot though, these things happen to all cars lol
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-17, 05:25 PM   #3

Thanks for confirming what i was told.
Think I will get it cleaned up and a new clip to keep the oil in the pipe out of the way.
Is anyone else's airbox loose. As in can be lifted and jiggled as if it ain't fastened down by anything? The actual filter is sealed and can't get in without the screws being undone.

The 2.2 is good and I like the power of the 170 just want a remap too.
parts like cambelt waterpump etc cost a bomb. Can't get of the shelf and peugeot want 545 fitted all in and would check the chain as well on the cams

Thanks again

Old 09-01-17, 05:41 PM   #4

You also get oil in the intake system from the engine breather system as it is plumbed into the intake system before the turbo so oil mist gets sucked into the system.
Old 09-01-17, 05:45 PM   #5

Pondering here.
If i stop the oil from getting out the pipe where would it go. Would it pool up somewhere in the pipes?

Might take the pipes off and clean them before putting together and adding a new clip that's tighter
Old 09-01-17, 07:52 PM   #6

As Windy said, yes, you do get oil from the breather system too, known as Positive Crankcase Ventilation. You can get an oil catch can for this, however for the oil coming through the turbo system, it goes into the intake, the engine burns it as if it was diesel. It is why using the correct oil is imperative for maintaining DPF life.
Old 12-01-17, 01:25 PM   #7

I meant to add on, if I recall correctly, the 2.2 Hdi in a 407 is based on a 2.0 hdi, with a different turbo setup and different connecting rods to give it the extra capacity. (I wanted a 2.2 HDi Coupe... why on earth did Peugeot not offer that combination!?)

The rest is still the same, so check your part numbers!

The airbox should be securely fastened, car manufacturers don't like things which are loose because what's loose eventually snaps off.
Old 20-01-17, 02:30 PM   #8

Some info, dont know if helpful but it may as well be :-)

Stopping oil from getting into the intake manifold directly from the crankcase
The latest and greatest modification for getting rid of oil in our intake manifold, which is causing so many problems in the cylinder head and intake valves, comes from Peugeot themselves. I got the info from a close Greek friend who works in Peugeot.

The new RCZ and 308GTI with the THP200 engine have a small difference in their intake manifold compared to the older models.
While the manifold body is the same, there is a very small cap that closes the rear PCV hose in the THP200 engine, which does not exist on the THP150 and 175hp engines.

PCV is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, which forces blowby gases back (and a lot of oil coming with it) in the intake system.

This cap is very cheap and available from Peugeot (part code 0361S4 ), using it saves the trouble of having to clean your intake from oil and combustion residues.

Part number 8 is the cap that closes the PCV return hose from the engine to the intake manifold.
Installing the cap in THP150 / 175 engines
First remove the rear PCV return hose. Press the clip to release it from the engine cover.
Intake manifold side
Press the clip on the intake manifold to release the hose again.
The cap that solves the problem
Remove the hose from the engine bay.
Install the caps
Both caps installed, no more oil in the intake manifold.
Doub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-05-17, 03:32 PM   #9

Been a while.
Thanks for the advice so far, need some ramps or something to get the front off the ground and i can get under and sort the pipes out.

Further. engine light came on, will get codes later tonight hopefully.
Limp mode comes and goes as well.

When its not in limp mode but engine light is on it pulls and drives fine so i dont think its dpf related.

First limp mode was no errors or lights.
Im guessing i might have sensor issue/egr needing a clean/intercooler pipes or the cooler itself where ever that is?

Once i get the codes id love the help.
good car but its one thing after another and not even been 2 year yet and just passed 77k.

Oil filler looked like it had some slime in it but it wasnt white, when wiped it was a grey colour, only a tiny bit all gone.

coolant is back to where it was when i got the car as well but never anything on the floor.
off the air box near the back of the engine is a bit of pipe with soot on it. and im sure 2 pipes under the car have soot/oil coming from joins.

Always use the right oil 5/30 fully synthetic. dont really notice it losing any oil always seems to be at the same spot.

Its confusing as its one thing after another and it gets a weekly long distance drive every weekend as well over 2k rpm for a good 20-30mile once hot enough.

quick edit.
when turning off the car sometimes the engine judders.

Last edited by DavidB236; 22-05-17 at 03:33 PM. Reason: extra info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in