Oh, Those Particulate Filters! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-05-11, 10:38 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Oh, Those Particulate Filters!

Just spent the best part of a day cleaning out the particulate filter on my 140k 05 plate 407 SW 2.0hdi using Zooanki's 307 guide as a basis (thanks!). What an epic! Ended up splitting the filter from the cat. under the car and couldn't disconnect the rear pressure sensor pipe which is now slightly loose in the fitting and the nut almost rounded off. The filter had a layer of black soot on the end which had virtually blocked it. After cleaning and reassembly and a couple of short journeys, the filter blocked warning symbol is coming on and the car is running lumpy. I suspect the first bit of advice will be, "Rip it out!", but other than start spending too much money, any suggestions about what might be going on?
Ali.G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-11, 12:38 PM   #2

Did you tell the car it had a new filter with pp2000?
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-11, 03:53 PM   #3

i can plug in and check what is up if you can get to me this week, I charge a tenner to cover the cost of my gear but planet may give you the answer!

Old 30-05-11, 03:53 PM   #4
Inactive User

My friendly local workshop man reset the fault codes with his generic code reader before I took it home and started work on it. Car just died on my son half a mile down the road but can't tow it back 'cause it's an auto. I'm just off to try to limp it home. Friendly local man also gave me a litre of fuel additive and the kit to refill the reservoir on a sale or return basis. If the reservoir is empty, could this cause the filter to soot up this quickly?
Old 30-05-11, 03:57 PM   #5

no fluid will mean the filter blocks quickly, resetting is not enough in this case. System needs to know fluid is present (assuming it is empty). Also system needs to think a new FAP is fitted and this is something generic readers will not do from my experience.
Old 30-05-11, 03:58 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooankski View Post
i can plug in and check what is up if you can get to me this week, I charge a tenner to cover the cost of my gear but planet may give you the answer!
Whereabouts are you? Do you want to send me a PM to advise. Given recent developments, I might no make it even if you live in the next village!
Old 30-05-11, 04:01 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooankski View Post
no fluid will mean the filter blocks quickly, resetting is not enough in this case. System needs to know fluid is present (assuming it is empty). Also system needs to think a new FAP is fitted and this is something generic readers will not do from my experience.
Looks like a fluid check and top up then. I've seen the photo instructions on the site, but where exactly is the reservoir located?
Old 30-05-11, 05:03 PM   #8
Afo
Inactive User

the reservoir is located in front of the N/S rear wheel - you need to get under the car to get to it... EDIT: oops, see you have a 407...it might not be in the same place as the 307...sorry!

Just remove the DPF - money well spent in my opinion (am still in the process of removing it from my 307) and you've probably spent nearly the same anyway assuming you paid about 25 for the litre of fluid!?

Last edited by Afo; 30-05-11 at 05:04 PM. Reason: possible mistake
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-11, 05:25 PM   #9
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afo View Post
the reservoir is located in front of the N/S rear wheel - you need to get under the car to get to it... EDIT: oops, see you have a 407...it might not be in the same place as the 307...sorry!
Nope, you're spot on.... in just the same place on the 407
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-05-11, 06:15 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afo View Post

Just remove the DPF - money well spent in my opinion (am still in the process of removing it from my 307) and you've probably spent nearly the same anyway assuming you paid about 25 for the litre of fluid!?
Yep, found it and just topped up the reservoir, even tho' it was a third to half full. Still hunting on tickover and stalling at every opportunity. If I go down the replacement route, do I keep the cat. and replace the filter with a suitably shaped exhaust piece?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in