NSR Squeak - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bettyswollocks
  • 2 Post By jmkent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-12, 07:11 PM   #1
jmkent

Default NSR Squeak

For the last 18months, my 407 has had a squeak from the NSR wheel when driving at 20-30mph and going along a bumpy road. This doesn't need bumps as such to create the squeak, just an uneven road will do it, and speed bumps will only make it more pronounced. Increase in speed or level road and no noise is apparent. It will also squeak if parking on a hill, apply the handbrake, and then when releasing the foot brake and the handbrake takes over, i.e. the 'rise/fall' it will squeak then to, so put it down to suspension more than brakes.

I used to give all the suspension/brakes a good clean with the hose when washing the car, and this used to make the squeak stop, so thought it was due to some crap getting in somewhere, or maybe even something not lubricated properly. However, washing it doesn't make any difference now, and it is squeaking more than before. When I had 4 of us in the car the other night, no noises from it at all, but once back to just 1 or 2 in the car the squeak is back.

I also have a knocking from this area of the car too, although I thought this was something inside the car (parcel shelf, seats, spare wheel, etc) but I've had them all out and it still does it, so wondering if the squeak and the knock may be related.

Any ideas what it might be chaps?? Droplink or shock perhaps? Wouldn't imagine it to be anything too major as large bumps don't always make the noise, just the annoying uneven road makes the squeaking, and its starting to drive me mad
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-01-12, 10:38 PM   #2

Are you sure thats where its coming from , i had a squeak and by accident one day while trying to work out where it was i put my hand on the brake cable under passenger side near back wheel and it was the culprit , its holder had come lose and the cable was moving just enough to squeak and at this point i was about to remove shocks and whatever else it was doing my head in
jmkent likes this.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-12, 09:43 AM   #3
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyswollocks View Post
Are you sure thats where its coming from , i had a squeak and by accident one day while trying to work out where it was i put my hand on the brake cable under passenger side near back wheel and it was the culprit , its holder had come lose and the cable was moving just enough to squeak and at this point i was about to remove shocks and whatever else it was doing my head in
Top marks to Betty.... absolutely spot on!

It was the handbrake cable through the guides just in front of NSR wheel. Once getting hold of it and jiggling a little, the squeak was heard, and rattle it around in the guides and it was knocking against the underside of the floor. A couple of cable ties later (to hold it in place at the top of the guide rather than rubbing on the bottom) and the squeak and the knock have both gone

Obviously this is why washing helped as it would lubricate the cable in the guide for a while until more dirt got in there - could see the 1/4inch where it had been rubbing.

Something so simple, and cost nothing.... many thanks

Old 22-01-12, 09:51 AM   #4

bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-01-12, 10:19 AM   #5
jmkent

I can't do with knocks/rattles/squeaks.... if a new one starts, I've just got to track it down and sort it

And I'm annoyed I didn't ask earlier now instead of living with this unknown squeak/knock for 18 months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in