noob with a few problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-12-18, 06:08 PM   #1

Default noob with a few problems

Hi guys. Noob here.

A little background before I launch into my problems! I'm not entirely new to peugeots, having hd a 306 1.9td years ago. I normally drive an Audi A8 4.2 TDi but a couple of weeks ago one of the timing chains snapped and wrecked the engine - which I'm hoping to fix still... I still have three years left to pay for the thing!

As I live out in the Scottish highlands and travel 30 odd miles to work every day I needed another car to tide me over until I have fixed the Audi, which will likely take me months and months to do. So I bought myself a 2005 407 2.0HDi saloon. Body work is in excellent condition as is the interior although the electrics are typically french.

The day after I bought it, the screen started working and showed a DPF additive low fault. So 100ish notes lighter I got the fluid and filled it up (although the message still needs cleared). The heater is stuck on "temperature of the sun" and cant be turned down (set to 14 degrees).

Six days after buying it I went round a bend at 60mph and suddenly started spinning all over the place amid a shower of sparks and flew into a field. the fornt drivers side suspension had completely collapsed. The PO had replaced the hub but the garage hadn't put a nut on the bolt that attaches everything to the bottom link and it had worked its way out.

Luckily I was relatively close to home so stuck a chain on the tow bar and dragged it to a place I could work on it in relatively shallow mud compared to where it came to a rest! The top link of the suspension was twisted, the drive shaft had been pulled out and the ball/roller things in the inner joint were spread about the countryside. Anti roll bar link was snapped and the track rod end was bent.

Eventually I managed to get the suspension kind on back together but because of the twist in the top link I couldnt get both holes to line up in the bottom link. As a temporary measure I managed to hammer in a piece of metal into one hole. the inner joint went back together minus the innards but still drove so i was able to get it home driving very very slowly.

I bought a whole new top link/alloy casting, new nut and bolt for the bottom, new ARB link and new TRE and a new driveshaft.

As soon as I started working on it, it started blowing a blizzard! Got the top bits all changed over but I can't get the inner section of the driveshaft out. I have removed the c shaped bearing retainer but I cant get it to budge. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I did try to lever it with a crowbar but discovered that there was a plastic flange attaching a coolant hose to the block. I discovered it when all the coolant dropped onto the drive! Does anyone have a picture or part number for this flange? Its a plastic bit that bolts on to the block behind and slightly above the crank pulley to the rear of the engine just above the bracket that holds the bearing for the driveshaft.

It's looking like another week of taking the bus. Not too much of a problem except the nearest bus stop is a four mile walk down a 1:4 snow covered hill!

If you made it this far well done and thanks for reading!

Gill
Gibbo likes this.
erubus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-12-18, 06:21 PM   #2

[quote=erubus;2218376]Hi guys. Noob here.

A little background before I launch into my problems! I'm not entirely new to peugeots, having hd a 306 1.9td years ago. I normally drive an Audi A8 4.2 TDi but a couple of weeks ago one of the timing chains snapped and wrecked the engine - which I'm hoping to fix still... I still have three years left to pay for the thing!

As I live out in the Scottish highlands and travel 30 odd miles to work every day I needed another car to tide me over until I have fixed the Audi, which will likely take me months and months to do. So I bought myself a 2005 407 2.0HDi saloon. Body work is in excellent condition as is the interior although the electrics are typically french.

The day after I bought it, the screen started working and showed a DPF additive low fault. So 100ish notes lighter I got the fluid and filled it up (although the message still needs cleared). The heater is stuck on "temperature of the sun" and cant be turned down (set to 14 degrees).

Six days after buying it I went round a bend at 60mph and suddenly started spinning all over the place amid a shower of sparks and flew into a field. the fornt drivers side suspension had completely collapsed. The PO had replaced the hub but the garage hadn't put a nut on the bolt that attaches everything to the bottom link and it had worked its way out.

Luckily I was relatively close to home so stuck a chain on the tow bar and dragged it to a place I could work on it in relatively shallow mud compared to where it came to a rest! The top link of the suspension was twisted, the drive shaft had been pulled out and the ball/roller things in the inner joint were spread about the countryside. Anti roll bar link was snapped and the track rod end was bent.

Eventually I managed to get the suspension kind on back together but because of the twist in the top link I couldnt get both holes to line up in the bottom link. As a temporary measure I managed to hammer in a piece of metal into one hole. the inner joint went back together minus the innards but still drove so i was able to get it home driving very very slowly.

I bought a whole new top link/alloy casting, new nut and bolt for the bottom, new ARB link and new TRE and a new driveshaft.

As soon as I started working on it, it started blowing a blizzard! Got the top bits all changed over but I can't get the inner section of the driveshaft out. I have removed the c shaped bearing retainer but I cant get it to budge. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I did try to lever it with a crowbar but discovered that there was a plastic flange attaching a coolant hose to the block. I discovered it when all the coolant dropped onto the drive! Does anyone have a picture or part number for this flange? Its a plastic bit that bolts on to the block behind and slightly above the crank pulley to the rear of the engine just above the bracket that holds the bearing for the driveshaft.

It's looking like another week of taking the bus. Not too much of a problem except the nearest bus stop is a four mile walk down a 1:4 snow covered hill.

407s 110 1.6 HDI retrofitted cruise+limiter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sterion75; 16-12-18 at 06:27 PM.
sterion75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-12-18, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll give it a bash (no pun intended). Wish I'd thought to do it before I put all the suspension back in. I was trying to save the jobs where I'd be lying in the snow till last!

Old 16-12-18, 09:50 PM   #4

People might moan at me, but tbh, you are best avoiding ANY PSA product between 2001-2006/7 ish.

After this, the electrics are generally fine, along with the rest of the car. Almost like PSA didn't nail down the CAN Bus networks, while trying to introduce DPF's, and it just didn't work too well and this is when PSA ruined their reputation.

The heater issue is the well known "heater flap" issue, search for that and you'll get the required information.

DPF issues.... ahhhh.... really need it plugging into Peugeot Planet (the dealer software) to tell you what it think's is wrong before trying to fix it!
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-12-18, 05:50 PM   #5

Haha, I generally avoid all french cars full stop. joking aside, I love old citroens. Growing up we had a string of dyanes, gsa's, and cx estates. we also had a bx briefly although it never got used. My dad bought it off a woman for 30 after she filled it with oil and it wouldnt turn over - she filled it to the brim! Also had a peugeot 104. My dad still loves his citroens and has three c5s currently, and a xantia before those, as well as a synergie for a while. We also had a string of renaults while i was young, mostly 25's.

I googled the heater flap thing. might try the cut a hole in the side bmethod. im certainly not replacing the whole unit!

The DPF additive thing was definitely that as the tank was empty. Mivght explain why the car is so gutless although it's hard to tell as my last daily drive was 385bhp.

I have taken a couple of pics of the offending broken coolant flange thing to see if anyone can identify it. I cant find it online at all using many different searches, I think that it might be going to the EGR cooler but its impossible to see down the back of the engine and its raining heavily! I'll need to try to figure out how to post pics off my computer first though
Old 17-12-18, 05:55 PM   #6

hopefully should be pics here. Can anyone identify this part?
Attached Thumbnails
coolant-flange1.jpg   coolant-flange2.jpg  
Old 17-12-18, 07:14 PM   #7

Sign yourself up for free to Service Box

And find out all the part numbers for anything and everything you might need. It will also give you prices too. Unless you know where that pipe goes, it's hard to pinpoint. Also green coolant? Pretty sure all pugs used the red type!

Actually I remember now, yes you need the dealer software (or similar, generic OBD tools won't work) to tell the car it is now full of DPF fluid.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-12-18, 09:54 PM   #8

Oh cool, thanks i'll check that out. I think it might be related to the egr cooler by looking at pics online. I think the green colour is the plastic, the coolant was yellowy brown and smelled like oldschhool ethylene glycol.... probably still the wrong stuff still.

bloody pain re: the dpf fluid.
Old 18-12-18, 06:03 PM   #9

The pipe housing you have cracked is just a coolant connection its nothing to do with EGR etc it feeds the coolant to/from the block to the water housing on the end of the head.

The shaft will come out with a good whack its vert tight

The car needs TOLD it has DPF fluid filling it makes no difference it still thinks its empty you may also need to wash out the filter and tell it it has a new one of them too.
Old 19-12-18, 09:52 PM   #10

I tried removing the broken flange tonight. The actual flange part itself came off with some difficulty..... Access is very tight! The main part of it stayed put though. After crawling underneath, I could see that the plastic flange with the rubber hose actually has a plastic pipe on the far side of it which joins on to a metal pipe. God only knows how it comes off, I'm hoping it's just a push fit but I could only barely see it. The replacement part I've ordered is made of metal apparently. Hopefully it's the right part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in