No Voltage To ABS Sensors - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-17, 08:28 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default No Voltage To ABS Sensors

Ok so ABS light on the dash

I've checked all four wheel sensors with a meter at all sensor connector plugs and there is no voltage getting to any sensor.

All fuses have been checked ok so I then took off the BIG connector at the ABS unit under the battery and found there is definitely voltage going into the unit.

There is also no voltage getting to the Brake Fluid Reservoir sensor.

Wires are good as I have buzzed out the loom to each of the above with a meter.

So opinions please, is the ABS unit under the battery caput ?
Is it something else ?

If I need a new unit will second hand be any good / need coding ?

Anyone repair the units and at what cost ?

Advice welcomed, thank you.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-02-17, 11:06 PM   #2
Inactive User

found this for you (Read the comments)

307 full wheel( you dont need to take it all apart to get the sensor out. unless magnetic ring is gone)

Go with the first test, per wheel till you find the wheel with the problem.

Last edited by PeugoetD; 20-02-17 at 11:12 PM.
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-02-17, 11:16 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks for that it looks interesting.

Will take a look in a day or two when the boy has a day off work.

Much obliged.

Old 20-02-17, 11:45 PM   #4

ABS wheel sensors send magnetically generated pulses to the ECU, they do not have voltage sent to them from the ABS pump/ECU. You can unplug and read the resistance of each wheel sensor individually, they should all be very close resistance-wise. Open circuit or a resistance that differs vastly from the others would normally indicate a faulty wheel sensor. But there are other faults which can occur like clogged up/damaged rings etc. Pumps do fail. Make sure the pump fuse is not blown.
Does the ABS light come on immediately and stay on, or does it only light up once you are moving?
The sensor in the brake fluid reservoir grounds when level is low which triggers the light, no + voltage is on the sensor wires.
You need to get your car scanned with PP2000/Diagbox, that will take the guesswork out of the whole process. Once you have read the faults, clear them and take it for a drive and recheck which faults return. Preferably, when taking the car for a drive, leave the PP2000/Diagbox connected and check live ABS readings on each wheel.
PeugoetD likes this.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-02-17, 04:09 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNZ View Post
ABS wheel sensors send magnetically generated pulses to the ECU, they do not have voltage sent to them from the ABS pump/ECU. You can unplug and read the resistance of each wheel sensor individually, they should all be very close resistance-wise. Open circuit or a resistance that differs vastly from the others would normally indicate a faulty wheel sensor. But there are other faults which can occur like clogged up/damaged rings etc. Pumps do fail. Make sure the pump fuse is not blown.
Does the ABS light come on immediately and stay on, or does it only light up once you are moving?
The sensor in the brake fluid reservoir grounds when level is low which triggers the light, no + voltage is on the sensor wires.
You need to get your car scanned with PP2000/Diagbox, that will take the guesswork out of the whole process. Once you have read the faults, clear them and take it for a drive and recheck which faults return. Preferably, when taking the car for a drive, leave the PP2000/Diagbox connected and check live ABS readings on each wheel.
correct, as said allot of electronics in the cars these days, measure "resistance" and dont operate on electrical volt. even injectors, though they do get voltage its the coil resistance you measure to see if its ok. and even that is a so so test.
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-02-17, 08:22 AM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks I didn't realise the sensors generated the voltage as thought it was the other way around so some progress perhaps.

1/ Will measure resistances of sensors,

2/ Will try the wheel spinning as shown in the video, presume I listen out for the beeping sound ?

3/ Yes the ABS light comes on immediately and stays on.

Thanks, will report back with my findings.
Old 21-02-17, 10:00 AM   #7

Can you get someone with a Lexia (PP2000) to diagnose? I think you have dead ABS sensor which is quite common, and since ABS light is on you wont be getting beep since car cant tell for sure if its moving (I know this because one of my sensors was giving false speed reading and car was beeping to lower the handbrake when stationary, when it finally showed ABS/ESP error, I could drive it with HB on and the car would not show a warning)

Here is a picture from 407 FB group

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by neecola; 21-02-17 at 02:18 PM.
neecola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-02-17, 05:23 PM   #8

As the light comes on immediately and stays on means there is a 'fatal' fault with the system. If it only came on when travelling, it would most likely be a fault with the hubs themselves [dirty toothed rings/wrong air gap etc]. Don't exclude problems on the hubs though..

Ideally you need to scan it, but checking resistances of sensors, fuses might help getting to the bottom of it.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-02-17, 05:32 PM   #9

As said these faults are best diagnosed using planet as it can read live data from wheel sensors etc but as above if light is on right away you have something other than wheel sensors faulty.

Incidently i had a 307 with ABS fault and the level sensor was faulty this was enough to put the light on and it seems this is a common issue.
Old 21-02-17, 06:08 PM   #10
Inactive User

I don't have access to PP/2000 so am currently trying to avoid going to the dealership but may have to in the end ...

so in addition to my list above ^^ I will add on :

1/ Using a meter on AC to check sensor voltage generation

2/ Visual check of sensors and rings - don't want to remove just yet in case of damage.

The brake fluid sensor I mentioned earlier and this puzzles me a lot !

Hoping to have the car to hand this Thursday so hope to report back with either more info or fingers crossed good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in