Newbie to the forum - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-10, 09:07 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Newbie to the forum

Hi to all on this forum. I am glad as hell that there are places like this to come to for advice. I have recently bought a 2006 (55) 407 2.0 hdi SW with 60k on the clock from that wonderful land of cars "Car Giant". I dont know what drew me to this beast of a car, but it kind of whispered "buy me" and I couldnt get away.

Anyhow, I am now £800 lighter due to my stupidity as the car was ready for a service and Car Giant dont do that sort of thing. Peugeot gladly took my money for the lower ball joint replacment, aircon regas, brake fluid change, drivers door seal replacement and they tried to get me to replace the tyres which was a bit suspect as they are all pretty new and with loads of tread depth on them.

But hey, why am I complaining? I have never had a Peugeot before so I am kind of enjoying the ride at the moment. I worried a bit at first because there was a message popping up every so often about bulb faults and stop lights. I searched this forum for advice and realised it's a bogus message, decided to pop the clusters out and give them a go over with some WD40 on the connectors and the earthing points. The messages have stopped for now.

All in all, I am relatively happy with my purchase so far (6 days in). I am giving the car a run out tomorrow up the country (M1) to see what it will do and hopefully it will be fine.

I will drop another note on the forum to let you know how it has gone.

All the best to everyone out there who drives one of these things.

Wish me luck.

Shiner.
shiner3lima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-10, 11:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Good luck with your motor but I feel I should inform you that you have been screwed over a bit! By law a dealer has to give you a 3 month warranty which should cover some of the problems you described above. If I were you I'd kick up a bit of a fuss!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-10, 11:58 PM   #3
Inactive User

Your rights when buying from a dealer

When buying from a dealer, the law says a car must be:

Of satisfactory quality. It must meet the standard a reasonable person would regard as acceptable, bearing in mind the way it was described, how much it cost, the age and the mileage on the vehicle. Amongst other things, this covers the appearance and finish of the car, its safety and its durability. The car must be free from defects, except when they were pointed out to you by the seller.

As described. If the advert states “air conditioning and CD player” then the car should come with these features and they should be working.
Reasonably fit for any normal purpose. It should get you from A to B.
Reasonably fit for any other purpose you specify to the seller. For example, towing a caravan.

These rights are not affected by any mechanical breakdown insurance (which is often sold by dealers if the manufacturer's warranty has run out), guarantee or warranty giving additional protection. Once a trader gives a warranty it becomes an agreement on its own, but it is not your legal right to demand a warranty from the trader.

If you inspect the car, or someone does so for you, the dealer may not be liable for any faults which should have been uncovered by the inspection. It's a good idea to get a description of the vehicle's condition from the dealer: ask whether there is a pre-sale inspection checklist.

If you purchased with finance your position is even stronger, I would not have accepted an £800 bill so quickly.
steve m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-10, 09:38 AM   #4
chopper1192

Having worked in the trade I can confirm the pre-inspectioin checklist is often a work of fiction!

Why didn't you spot the aircons wasn't working when you test drove it?

Why didn't you invest in an AA/RAC check?

Ball joints tend only to fail on harder driven cars. Aircon tends only to need regassig if its not been regularly blasted. Neither are hardly the cars fault. My 407 is a year older than yours and has been completely faultless for half a decade, so don't assume they're all dogs just because yours is..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-10, 09:45 AM   #5
chopper1192

I'm currently researching a nagazine article for a large pug club, and of the 32 owners that have so far responded nearly 2/3 have rated their 407 as 'faultless' or 'above average', so the clear majority of us are happy campers.

Unfortunately, you've let them sell you a pub, but all is not lost:

The LAW says the dealer MUST rectify any fault that occurs within 28 days of purchase.

The Dealer also MUST rectify any fault that appears witin 6 months that was likely to be present or developing when the vehicle was sold. It is the responsibility of the dealer to PROVE IT WAS NOT, not your responsibility to prove it was.

Phrases like 'sold as seen' are legally meaningless. Provided you paid reasonale market value, and the car was not expressly sold as spares, the law is on your side. Now go sort iit out with them, and next time you buy check the vehicle more thoroughly.
Old 09-05-10, 09:48 AM   #6
chopper1192

PS. Sorry for the appalling typing. I'm on my Blackberry today. I must sound like the English copper in 'allo 'allo!
Old 09-05-10, 11:40 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192
PS. Sorry for the appalling typing. I'm on my Blackberry today. I must sound like the English copper in 'allo 'allo!
Officer Crabtree: Good Moaning, there is obviously no piss for the wicked

@ shiner3lima

Unfortunately, now that the repair work has been done you have accepted the car & the fault that came with it, there is very little if not any recourse that you can take. You could possibly write to them explaining the faults that were inherent with the car, a copy of the repair invoice and ask if they would be willing to contribute towards the costs of repair as the car was quite clearly not fit for purpose. Like I said before though, if they make any good will gesture you will be very fortunate.
steve m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-10, 11:53 AM   #8
Super Moderator

There was a guy near me who had problems with a car he bought. He had the local graphics guy put a list of the problems on the side of the car then parked it near the gate of the dealer! The problem was quickly resolved!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-10, 12:39 PM   #9
Inactive User

Default Newbie 407 owner

Thanks for all the replies. I took the car out for its first long run up the M1 yesterday and it's a very nice drive. Very smooth.

Re the initial expense. If I put a positive spin on it, the outlay has been worth it to ensure that the car is in good condition.

Thanks again for all of your responses and I look forward to using this site in the future.

Cheers.
shiner3lima is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-10, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192
still showing off then chopper

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in