New 407 coupe owner with issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-04-13, 07:34 PM   #1

Default New 407 coupe owner with issues

Hey guys,

Just picked up an '06 407 coupe petrol V6 yesterday. Lovely car and drives well but 2hrs into the 6hr drive home the display lit up like a Christmas tree with faults

Firstly on the motorway we got ESP/ABS fault which stayed on until we stopped further up the road. After stopping and starting again the same errors popped up again and were joined by automatic headlight adjustment fault and auxiliary lighting fault (whatever aux lighting is?). All of these cycled one after the other until we stopped again.

After an hour we set off again and no faults appeared, until I was parking in the drive 45 mins later and ESP fault popped up again. Then today I just moved the car in the drive and immediately ABS fault.

Now I'm sure all of these things didn't suddenly go wrong simultaneously, I hope! I have read a fair bit on here and notice the ABS/ESP fault is common and often an ABS sensor. But all of them appearing at the same time, could something else be causing this? I have also read something about faulty earth connections, dodgy alternator or battery etc.

I did hope to last more than a day on here with the new car before needing advice. But any tips on where to start appreciated

Last edited by fifecoop; 16-04-13 at 10:21 PM.
fifecoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-04-13, 07:42 PM   #2
COLINELLIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifecoop View Post
Hey guys,

Firstly on the motorway we got ESP/ABS fault which stayed on until we stopped further up the road. After stopping and starting again the same errors popped up again and were joined by automatic headlight adjustment fault and auxiliary lighting fault (whatever aux lighting is?). All of these cycled one after the other until we stopped again.

After an hour we set off again and no faults appeared, until I was parking in the drive 45 mins later and ESP fault popped up again. Then today I just moved the car in the drive and immediately ABS fault.

Now I'm sure all of these things didn't suddenly go wrong simultaneously, I hope! I have read a fair bit on here and notice the ABS/ESP fault is common and often an ABS sensor. But all of them appearing at the same time, could something else be causing this? I have also read something about faulty earth connections, dodgy alternator or battery etc.

I did hope to last more than a day on here with the new car before needing advice But any tips on where to start appreciated
ABS ESP faults sound like a sensor to me lighting issues could be caused by a dodgy earth etc id say check the PP Map and get a full diagnostic done hopefully that will point you in the right direction
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-04-13, 10:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I have messaged a couple of PP owners

Assuming I do need an ABS sensor, is that something a DIYer can do? I don't mind getting the spanners out if it's not too technical, and as long as I can't break something more expensive in the process
fifecoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 17-04-13, 03:59 AM   #4
CAB

They aren't too bad to do, front usually need drilling out and rear need the fuel tank lowering slightly to route new one to connection.
Could also be as mentioned a bad earth but also consider it maybe a dodgy fuse box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-04-13, 06:20 PM   #5
Inactive User

ESP/ASR system faulty is usually a dodgy clutch switch or bad earth on the battery. Same goes for the auxilarry lighting fault. Remove the battery terminals on the battery and give them a good clean with some cotton wire then spray with lubricant & connect. Ensure no aftermarket bits are connected to the battery as this can cause issues.
Doing that sorted the warnings that came up on one of my 407's
Old 18-04-13, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave828 View Post
ESP/ASR system faulty is usually a dodgy clutch switch or bad earth on the battery. Same goes for the auxilarry lighting fault. Remove the battery terminals on the battery and give them a good clean with some cotton wire then spray with lubricant & connect. Ensure no aftermarket bits are connected to the battery as this can cause issues.
Doing that sorted the warnings that came up on one of my 407's
Cheers Dave, yeah ASR was another one. Will check and clean terminals etc first and I've also had replies from a couple of members with PP. When i used the car yesterday nothing came up, so it's just intermittent, which is what makes me think something else may be causing all the separate faults.

Other than that the car drives lovely
Old 18-04-13, 09:52 PM   #7

Read this in the other thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave828 View Post
Got 2 407 coupes sat on the drive at the moment. One black, the other silver.
Being a salesman i change cars everyday but in my opinion i think the coupe looks better in silver.

SW id say looks better in black as with the saloon.
You still have them both then, which do you prefer petrol or diesel? I spoke to you a few months back when I first started looking for a coupe. We decided on a silver GT with red interior
Old 18-04-13, 10:04 PM   #8
Inactive User

I think the coupe is nice in the silver , the black hides its lines too much.
Old 19-04-13, 03:49 PM   #9

Quick question before disconnecting the battery...

Will I need a code for radio or anything else when I reconnect? I know on my 406 I had to reset time/date etc but that was it.

Just checking
Old 21-04-13, 06:05 PM   #10
Inactive User

Fifecoop, you wont need a code for the battery. Simply open the bonnet, close all doors & windows...Wait 3 minutes with the bonnet up (dont lock the car or open it during this time) then disconnect. After reconnecting wait 30 seconds before doing anything then you should be fine.

& silver is a great choice! Especially with the red interior! As said silver really shows the cars lines
Also forgot to add, the 2.7 engine is brilliant, i just love the torque...Its a shame Peugeot never turbo
charged any of its petrol engines.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-4-.jpg  

Last edited by dave828; 21-04-13 at 06:17 PM.
dave828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in