Mysterious knock in rattly engine - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-10, 06:37 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Mysterious knock in rattly engine

Hi to everyone.

I am really hoping that some of you on this site can help me with the problems I am having with my 407 2.0HDi. Please excuse any vagueness as I am not a mechanic just a frustrated 407 owner who desperately needs help.

All my problems started when I had to have the diesel additive topped up at about 98,000 miles. My car is a taxi and I cover high mileage. Each day I have off work with problems costs me a fortune.

Basically the engine started to knock which I initially thought was tappets and rockers. However after a Peugeot technician friend put the car on the Planet software it was discovered that the flow corrections on the injectors were incorrect. The car was then taken to John Hoggs in Sheffield where they tested the injectors and found them to be working correctly. However when refitted and coded the knocking had disappeared. So I thought it was a bit of dirt in the nozzles and everything was now ok. However after a few days the knocking came back. At this point I was advised to contact Feather Diesels in Elland near Halifax. They put all four injectors through a series of about 200 tests on their diagnostic equipment. Each injector failed and it was decided they needed to be rebuilt at a cost of 875.00.

Once again everything was fine for about 3 or 4 days when the mysterious knocking came back. So it was off back to Feather Diesels to call in the guarantee. However when removed and tested the injectors were found to be faultless. But once installed and re-coded the knocking had disappeared again. Once again the car was fine for 3 or 4 days and the knocking re-appeared. However the knocking is now accompanied by rattly lifters and rockers.

When the engine is cold the lifters and rockers do not rattle, I think this is due to the oil being thicker when cold. However as soon as it gets hot the lifters and rockers rattle along with the ever present mysterious diesel knock.

My train of thought is that the EGR valve has become coked up with carbon and this has somehow found its way into the valve train and injection system causing the lifters and rockers to become somehow dislodged. The injectors work correctly for a few days after removal, testing, refitting and coding because they are cleaned while out. They then become contaminated again after a few days and start to cause incorrect fueling which causes the diesel knock.

If it helps any the ECU and injection system is Delphi and not Siemens or Bosch.

Any help/advice with this matter would be greatly appreciated as I am pulling my hair out and the downtime is costing me a fortune in lost earnings.

Regards,

Jason
jazzym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-10, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive User

Sorry, forgot to mention that on the odd occasion the engine hunts to about 1300rpm and I have to turn the ignition off and start the car again which seems to reset it for a while. Could this be unburnt fuel getting back into the cylinders somehow?

Regards,

Jason
Old 01-11-10, 10:54 AM   #3
Inactive User

After reading other threads I am pretty sure for the last couple of times my mechanic has been putting semi synthetic oil in instead of fully synthetic. Could this be contributing towards my problems?

Regards,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in