My new 407 - a few small faults... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-02-13, 07:39 PM   #1
Inactive User

Smile My new 407 - a few small faults...

Hi guys,

I've had my 2005 2ltr hdi for nearly a week, & i'm loving it so far.
there are a couple of minor things (as you expect when you buy a used car) which i wanted to ask your advice about:

1) the oil temp guage doesnt move from stone cold, & the coolant temp guage rarely move above the 1st notch...is it just a faulty thermostat?

2) theres a slight judder when i put the steering on full lock. is this the ball joints?

I'm going to be buying a usb box. any advice on a good one to get? I'll get the stereo enabled at the same time as i get the new screen which i'm going to buy configured...

anything else i should do?

cheers guys
Moley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-02-13, 07:44 PM   #2
Inactive User

Default Re: My new 407 - a few small faults...

For the steerin issue check your power steerin fluid level, its a common issue. But it could be bottom ball joints too, but there easy to do.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 25-02-13, 09:18 PM   #3
Inactive User

i see from digging through the service history that it had a new thermostat & ecu temp sensor in Jan...so now im stumped

Old 26-02-13, 06:48 AM   #4
Inactive User

Default Re: My new 407 - a few small faults...

Check the plugs and wirin to them. They may be dirty or have a break in wirin

Sent from my GT-I8160 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 26-02-13, 07:02 AM   #5

What has the temperatures been the days you had temperature problems?

My car has an additional Webasto diesel heater to get the coolant up to temp.

It will turn off eventually, but it actually takes a fair amount of time and driving before engine is starting to get "proper" warm. I would say about 20 minutes, of course depending of type of driving. If hight speed motorway driving it probably would go quite a bit faster.

If you put your hand onto the radiator surface and/or outlet hose from thermostat housing you will get an indication if the thermostat is closing or not. At least radiator should not be hot at all if thermostat is closed.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-02-13, 05:32 PM   #6
Inactive User

The warmest its been outside is about 4C, and the coolest is about -2C. I've not seen the oil temp gauge move from the bottom at all, and the highest i've seen the coolant gauge move is about 80C (on the warmer days). The day I bought it it was driven from Glastonbury to Brighton with no issues (my dad drove it down to me most of the way, & he said it was fine).

Im going to service it this weekend, so I'll get a chance to have a good poke around under the bonnet then.

Where are the plugs for these sensors? I've not learned my way around this engine yet...
Old 05-03-13, 04:27 PM   #7
Inactive User

ok, so since the temperature has picked up (its now a balmy 10C outside) I have noticed the coolant temp go up to 90C (though it doesnt stay there for long once i get to some town driving) and i think i saw the oil temp gauge rise the tiniest bit from the bottom. Is there a separate oil temp sensor? if so where? i'll give that plug a clean as well.

I did try to service it at the weekend but i couldnt get the bastard oil filter to undo (whose idea was it to make it out of plastic & stick it where you cant get to it?! )

I tipped the new oil in anyway, but i'm going to have to book it in for a full service at a garage. prob not the pug dealer as im not feeling that rich right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in