My 407 (project probably) - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-03-13, 08:20 PM   #1

Default My 407 (project probably)

Ok so this weekend, hopefully I'll be getting myself a 56 plate 2.0 HDi 135 407 sw - SE model in Black metallic (probably Obsidian EXL - that's the common black met. from my experience).

I say it'll probably be a project because it's a Cat-D write off which I'm buying from a guy I know through work (he bought it to repair and sell on but he's happy to sell it to be as is which will save me a lump)

Car needs a new o/s headlamp, o/s wing and front bumper, and there is a repair to do on the o/s/f door (not caused by the original accident - caused by some muppet pushing the door open too far and going into the damaged wing). No suspension or airbag issues - car starts and drives just fine. There are a couple minor dents on the tailgate which I'll also be sorting out, and there's a small amount of moisture and a tiny crack in the o/s/r lamp so that'll also go on the to-do list.

On the plus side - the car is coming with all the parts needed included in the price - like I said, he was going to fix it himself.

Car will definitely need a VIC check and taxing, and probably an MOT. I already have everything I need except the actual paint for the repairs which I'll do the majority of myself with mates doing the little bits I can't.

So in summary, late 06 car, below 80k (76 I think) and I'm looking at 2350, plus 41 for the VIC, 30 for an MOT, 90 for the tax and 15 for some basecoat. OTR for 2.5k (instead of the 3k he was thinking for it fixed). Every car I've found of a similar spec on ebay or autotrader has been close to 4k - seems the mileage being below 100k is something of a rarity - not surprising with the RepMobile popularity of these SW's....

Aiming to have her on the road in time to tax at the start of next month, then I'll wave my 306 estate a farewell (probably after a quick MOT which will require a couple anti-roll bars and ball joints to get through)

Before I go dive into this, any thoughts/suggestions/ideas from you guys?

Last edited by BigSlavey; 15-03-13 at 08:29 PM.
BigSlavey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-03-13, 09:07 PM   #2

cat D does not need a vic test

I would keep the 306
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-03-13, 09:12 PM   #3

Not quite as simple as it used to be with the whole Cat D Cat C thing - now it comes down to the insurance company - if they inform the DVLA that a car has been written off, irrespective of category, the DVLA puts a VIC marker on it - after all, why not - it's 41 for as little as 5 minutes work - more road tax effectively.... I know it used to be a case of Cat D - no test, Cat C - sometimes a test etc but things they are a-changing (apparently)

I've already checked with the DVLA and it definitely needs a VIC test

As for the 306 - it's the 1.9D non-turbo and the lack of power is driving me nuts - recently had a new baby and when me, the wife, my 16 year old and the baby are in the car, along with a half-bootful, I'm ending up in 3rd on hills, never mind 4th...

Old 15-03-13, 09:22 PM   #4

WRONG only cat C needs vic test i put 2 back on road this month

1cat C 1 cat D

cat C vic marker vic test required

Cat D no vic marker but no v5 so you need to tax at dvla local office and pay for v5 25

If yours has a marker then its cat C

I would STILL keep the 306
Old 15-03-13, 10:16 PM   #5

What do you know - just threw 3 at mycarcheck and it IS Cat C. Doesn't really change anything from my personal point of view - I saw the car straight off of the transporter from the Salvage yard and to be honest I thought it was a joke that they wrote it off at all, and a big part of my job is insurance estimates at the body shop - seriously I'd have quoted 350 labour and 200 paint & materials for the job (and that's being a little greedy) - add maybe a grand for parts and the car would have been back on the road, fixed to a high standard for about 1600 (allowing a bit for misc etc) - the insurance company paid out 4400 for the car and I know the guy I'm buying it from paid about 1600 for it so someone make a mistake somewhere!

If I was buying the car to sell on I'd be a little more concerned about the value but I'm buying it to keep - need something I can semi-depend on to last me 4-5 years (which I'm almost certain the 02-02 306 won't do) till I move abroad.
Old 15-03-13, 10:35 PM   #6

I'm thinking the car spent 6 months with a hire company (only people I can think of who do 6 month leases then return the cars to the dealers) - then the next owner kept it till he crashed it. It's immaculate inside, all the toys work and it starts with no problems whatsoever so there's still a pretty good chance this'll be the daily driver come April
Old 15-03-13, 10:38 PM   #7
Inactive User

i would go for a 05-55reg top spec 407,for around 2500 least you know its a straight car,has you have to be careful there is no hidden underneath damage with these cars that have took a whack.
rilalf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-03-13, 10:43 PM   #8

People worry to much about write offs not all are wrecks

M 04 clio dci had a bashed door

my subaru had a scraped bumper none were wrecks by any means both cost less than 500 on the road both are reliable

more reliable than some of the newer stuff on here
Old 15-03-13, 10:47 PM   #9
Inactive User

write offs never run true like before,they were involved in a collision.all sorts off issues are apparent thats why they are sold cheaper
rilalf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-03-13, 10:54 PM   #10

I'm not too worried about the accident damage - I saw the car with the damaged parts removed and there's literally a half inch bend in the end of the front bumper reinforcer, and one of the wing brackets was bent (went back into shape by hand, almost no force).

Looking on autotrader, I can't find anything like what you suggest - 2.5k seems to either get you 100k+ miles or 04/54 plates at best. Course autotrader definitely isn't the only place to buy a car but it's usually a half-decent representation of prices/spec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in