multi failures, STOP brake malfunction...etc - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-05-11, 11:50 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default multi failures, STOP brake malfunction...etc

Peugeot 407 2.0 diesel.

Hi Folks, I wonder if anyone can help me with a problem I've just started getting with my Peugeot 407? It has suddenly started to display multi failures including STOP brake malfunction, and Handbrake symbol on, Speedo not working, and the engine emissions light on.

I drove the car to work, and left it for the day. In the evening the car/battery was completely flat. So I called out the Breakdown service who got it running and diagnosed it as a Faulty Alternator because the voltage output from the battery was low.

I dropped it off at the garage where it was left for a couple of days, when the mechanics came to look at it, it started first time and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and wondered why I thought it was the alternator. So I picked it up, and once again drove to work, same problems as before. This time though when I got to work, I restarted my car, and there was no problem.

It has been fine for a couple of days......until now, where all the same problems have occurred. Although this time, I could here the Power steering pump constantly running, with engine off and keys removed, this may have explained why the battery went flat first time round.

So I am expecting another none starting Peugeot 407 in the morning.

One off the problems I haven't yet mentioned is that the ABS & ESP error warning lights are always on, but this has been like this for many many months without the above problems and having already fixed this issue once before in the past, I wouldn't have thought this to be related to the new problem (but I am by no means knowledgeable on this type of thing).

The trouble I have is if the mechanics plug in a diagnosis machine, when this intermittent problem isn't on, all they can tell me is that there isn't a fault, other than the ABS & ESP. Evidently there is.

I will as a matter of course get the ABS & ESP sensor fixed (AGAIN! (probably different wheel though to be fair)).

If anyone can make out my ramblings and please shed any light, as what I might focus on the problem being, it would be very much appreciated.

Tim

timraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-05-11, 04:20 AM   #2
Inactive User

if is 1.6 check maybe cooling fan because working to battery flat.if yes is software problem
Old 27-05-11, 04:47 PM   #3
Inactive User

update.....

Just got the car back from the garage, and after they got it started, they couldn't replicate the problems I was having, they ran there diagnosis machine through it, and didn't come back with any errors, other than 2 error codes for the ABS & ESP lights on the rear wheels. For the moment the car is running fine.

They spoke with Peugeot who had never heard of the problem before.

I have spoke with the Peugeot dealership who, (as I'm sure you all know) will charge me 70 for doing the same checks.

Or as a dealership will they defiantly be able to identify the problem after doing the check.

Old 07-06-11, 09:47 PM   #4
Inactive User

update..2

I have had the diagnosis done by a Peugeot, dealer. And they could only identify a problem with the Rear ABS sensors.

I have had these fixed, and so far not had the problem again. Seems strange that the rear sensors would cause problems to the powersteering pump, and dash board warning lights.

But I hope this post may be of help to anyone else that will have similar problems.

For the first time in 3 years my car isn't beeping at me for something.

Tomorrow is an other day though.
Old 07-06-11, 10:12 PM   #5

Did they check battery , the word sent down the line from Peugeot is , a weak battery can cause very strange problems , your dealer should know this and have checked the battery.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-06-11, 04:33 PM   #6
Inactive User

Hi, they did a full test on it, and didn't report anything wrong with the battery.

Still not had the problems since getting the sensors replaced. (fingers crossed).
Old 14-06-11, 04:55 PM   #7
Inactive User

i can remember when i had the abs fault on my 307..i left it for a few months an it started to develop a habit of telling me lies...like the speedo moving when stopped and the handbrake warning light when stopped and the engine wasnt reving but the speedo was bouncing.

this was down to the fact that the abs sensors do the speed aswell. or so i was told. anyways logically speaking these would be the same as the esp sensors. abs/esp/speed sensors all 1 thing. so if it get faulty data from one saying the wheel is spinning while the other is stopped...it could be trying to ESP the false power to the other wheel...hence the flat battery...

i hope this makes some sense.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-12, 01:31 PM   #8
Inactive User

I realise this is an old post now, but just thought I would add my experiences for those who may be encountering the same.

I purchased a 407 SW 2L HDI (08 plate with 60,000 on the clock) a couple of months ago. It had intermittent ABS/ESP warnings from day 1, eventually constant ABS/ESP warning at which point dealer replaced 1 rear ABS sensor. Problem cleared up for a few days then the full 'Braking Failure -STOP' warning, no speedo, no Cruise Control, no trip computer... Parked up and a few hours later the battery was flat.

RAC came out and jump started the car, ran a few diagnostics and cleared all the error codes. The engineer reckoned an intermittent alternator and an old battery (holding ~480 Amps of the 720 it should be). Anyway, all fine for just now - I have a horrible feeling it is only a matter of time before it all kicks off again though. Will update again if and when this saga continues...
oldsch00l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-12, 10:29 PM   #9
Inactive User

Having had all of the above happen on our 407sw and steering faults pop up too, I can confirm the ABS sensors are top suspect. They are not expensive and once you have fitted them all the faults disapear without the need to plug car into Diagnostics.
90driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-02-14, 10:47 AM   #10
Inactive User

Angry System faulty

I recently had my 407 2.2 sport cylinder head done ather it blew it few months ago, its say STOP brake malfunction - ABS/ESP, engine and handbreak icon on. now speedo metre stop working after one day not working.
Mabongand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in