Peugeot Forums banner

Main dealer issues advice needed

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Limara 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 1.6 SE sw 407, at under 200 miles on the clock already had issues with the car, it had a new dual mass flywheel, new roof I complained about the awful fuel consumption and it was supposed to have a new ECU and was remapped. I was fobbed off with the fuel consumption with them saying it would need to do at least 2000 miles to see true fuel figures.
I feel I have not got the car I so carefully researched for economy.
14 days ago it went in for its first service and I asked them to look at both headlights that mist up, the screen on the Nav screen that has lines running through it sometimes which is obviously a loose connection and again the fuel economy I am getting 31 to 34 round town and on the perfect long trip 220 miles of no starts and stops it only managed 44 which is the figure I should be getting round town.
When I went back to collect the car they have managed to get the service cd stuck and after another day on the phone to peugeot they have had to order the part I have patiently waited for the last 12 days with no car,today it was supposed to be delivered and I have now found they have not got the part, its not in stock discontinued and there is no eta for it.
This is the final straw They have offered me a courtsey car which is so small its no good to me for anything I have a handicapped daughter and her walking fram only just fits my 407, and also I dont like the terms of their insurance with a 500 quid excess and dont see why I should have to be liable for that when its their fault I dont have a car!
They say I can have my car back I dont want to do that either as NOTHING that works from the centre console is working, ok I can live without the sat nav its so useless its not worth using any way, no music or radio also means no local traffic information I could also live without that if I have to, I really dont want to live without the rear parking sensors as the car only just fits on my drive and more important the air con/heater so if we get rain and the screen mists up I have no way of clearing it I cant even reach the screen from the drivers side!
Any suggestions what I should do about this I cant be without a car any longer

See less See more
#2 ·
Phone them in the morning and tell them they have till the end of the day to sort you with a suitable courtesy car F.O.C. until your car is properly fixed or the next contact you have with them will be through your solicitor.

Or a guy near us parked his faulty car at the gate of a local dealer with the list of things wrong with it on the side!

Don't be scared to put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Remember this. You are right. Even when you're wrong.

#3 ·
I have really had enough of this i did have a go yesterday and threatened them with watchdog the result well they have now decided today that I DO have the air con and the blower working even though 13 days ago they told me I wouldnt have anything working from that unit at all and I asked if the air con would work and they said it wouldnt ( the main reason I refused to take it out) A black car parked in full sun on my drive unbearable in the heat and when it rains the car mists up so badly I cant physically reach the screen to wipe it clear so basically I have been without it for the last 12 days for nothing!
Now the fuel issues I am so fed up with being fobbed off its just getting silly, the car went back a few weeks after I bought it with several issues the fuel consumption being one of them 31mpg around town i carefully researched this car for economy and its supposed to do 44 around town. On the perfect run 220 mile round trip no stops and starts steady 56 all the way only managed the around town figure! it was remapped and the ecu replaced.
First they blamed it needed running in now get this today they have said it should make a difference having a service I very much doubt this as it didnt seed a service when i bought it and the car has only done 3000 miles so nothing should have been at the end of the life and even if it was I cant see it would make 14 mpg difference!
Also they have said they have added a fuel additive why on the earth would I want to have to add that as well as the diesel all I want is a car that will achieve the advertised fuel economy!
I have been told to keep an eye on it well thats what I have been doing ever since I had the car and gave them the fuel receipts and mileage figures ever since I did the first fill up, the price of diesel now I really dont want to have to do this all again and dont see why I should have to now they have put in the additive I am going to have to run it right to empty and shes currently on around half a tank then fill and start all over again by the time I have done that the car will probably be out of warranty
The last time I did complain to peugeot head office and that got me no where at all they were doing was talking up their wonderful warranty for when things go wrong and was quite proud they had just authorised a new engine in a car,I really dont think the answer is to sell rubish and have a warranty in place to fix it!
This car was going to go back with a letter of rejection 3 months after I bought it, unfourtantly the day before we were taking it back my mum was in a serious crash and her fight for life ( which she lost 16 days later)was far more important than my car problems and I couldnt actually be without a car so it wasnt as easy as parking it back on the forecourt and handing the letter over.
by the time dealing with this was over it was then far too late for the rejection route!
Any advise what to do would be appreciated, I am picking up my car later dont have any of the electronic goodies no parking sensors, no radio, sat nav no phone and have no idea when they might decide they can get the part in!

G
#4 ·
Without being offensive, if you have only driven 3000 miles in 2yrs, then is fuel economy really that important... I wouldn't have bought a car for fuel economy if only driving that little.

It would sound like you have a very bad Peugeot dealer, they aren't all bad, but there are some... same as any other manufacturer. I don't believe the parts are obsolete, I would say you are being fobbed off there, a 2yr old car, which they are still manufacturing, shouldn't have any obsolete parts.

#8 ·
Without being offensive, if you have only driven 3000 miles in 2yrs, then is fuel economy really that important... I wouldn't have bought a car for fuel economy if only driving that little.
yes the fuel economy is very important if I was only going to get 30 to the gallon then I would have purchased a petrol car and paid a lot less for a gallon of petrol to the diesel! The reason it hasnt done many miles is the awful consumption we have a ford galaxy that ws going to be sold when I got this 2 years down the road and 31 mpg from the peugeot and a min of 45 mpg from the galaxy we have kept the gal and use that more than the other

#5 ·
There are many variables when it comes to measuring fuel consumption, the driving style of the individual being the main cause of most lesser effecient results.

Fuel efficiency is based on exacting conditions at a specific distance, if you drove anywhere as near to those standards you would maybe get close to those results.

#9 ·
yes its a sw, The car went back to the dealer within a couple of months of having it, one of the complaints then was the fuel consumption they fitted ( or told me they had) a new ecu and remapped it, fuel consumption exactly the same since.

#7 ·
Short and sweet of it, if it was me, I'd shove it back down their throat, until them damn well do something about it.

For comments about fuel economy, I don't agree entirely about all this 'variables' rubbish, yes it does make a difference, but that much?

Before my car started being a tosser and drinking fuel like it was going out of fashion, around town with a nasty right foot I'd still get 40ish. Now I drive like a complete granny, and unable to obtain more than about 32, that's with coasting like a bitch, and braking for nothing! As for what's causing it? Your guess is as good as mine, but it's not right.

He's certainly not the first person to report terrible fuel economy from these engines for seemingly inexplicable reasons.

Phil

#10 ·
Well I picked the car up tonight when i asked about the work i had requested to be done under warranty, the Head Lights that both mist up have not been sorted because they havent seen them do it well seeing that they do it late at night or very early in the morning they are not likely to see them do it ever!
They were supposed to have been satisfied with the fuel consumption on the test run now I find that really strange because they have actually done less than half a mile since I left the car!
I have also said that the cars computer has never been right, even the mechanic flagged that one up on the cars first check on the full tank it was showing a span of 222 miles. so during that half a mile they shouldnt have gone by what the computer says.
Even more unphappy now the Display is showing the peugeot splash screen very brightly and it turned itself off and on constantly all the way home thats really annoying even in in daylight
back on the phone to them again tomorrow this is getting really silly now.

G
#11 ·
Well if it was planned to be the main car then that is different.

I think you've been more than patient, maybe a little to so..... I bet they don't get many customers who will let it go on 2yrs with the same problems, probably hoping you will get fed up and not bother. Would seem to me you need some external advice & support, solicitor, trading standards? they obviously aren't going to listen to you alone it would seem.

#13 ·
thanks for the suggestions, dont really know how to go about rejecting it now and I would think I wont have a leg to stand on after 2 years I phoned them today to tell them I wasnt happy with the screen rebooting every 10 seconds and they were aware of that they are saying conversations about whats been said hasnt been said at all, and they never said the air con wouldnt work lol must be dreaming about the stupid car as well now then, and that the fuel consumption issue is ongoing although thats not what I was told yesterday. Next time I go there I think a mp3 player on record is necessary
I ended up giving then 7 days and I will be contacting Watchog and instructing a solicitor, I am also doing everything in writing as there is no doubt they will be changing this conversation as well!
if it wasnt such a terrible area to leave the car it would be parked outside this weekend with reasons not to buy a peugeot plastered all over it!
crazy isnt it all this from going to the main dealer for its first service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.