MAF or EGR - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-11, 04:52 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default MAF or EGR, neither, loose turbo exhaust clamp

After cleaning my DPF, fitting new glow plugs and cleaning MAF my mpg has dropped to 32mpg on my 1.6HDI. Also get a fair amount of smoke at times under 2000rpm and think loss of power too.
I have read that the MAF is a flap type and not a hot wire, is this true.
Erom looking backn through posts and speeking to a mate, think its possibly the EGR valve.
Seems there are 2 long bolts that hold it to the back of the block, but how dose the pipe that goes to the inlet undo from the valve.
Dose it work on vacume or is it controlled electronicly, and is there a way for me to test it once its off.
Whats the procedure for cleaning it our, just spraying with carb/brake cleaner.

Also, I havnt told the system it has a new DPF yet, could this be the cause?

Last edited by bryan407sw; 11-12-11 at 02:19 PM. Reason: resolved
bryan407sw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-11, 05:43 PM   #2
Inactive User

These don't use the VAF's, they're old, and crap.

It's a conventional MAF.

The heat exchanger connecting to the EGR Valve usually has a dodgy clasp that pings apart, you'll probably need to replace it with a new EGR Clamp from peugeot for about 10.

The 407 is easier to work on with the EGR, you can take off the induction pipes, and then the bracket (3 bolts) holding the fuel filter in place can come off and if memory serves me well you can get to the 3 screws holding the solenoid to the valve off*.

That is where the bulk of the cleaning is required. Should you want to take the valve off too, it's quite easy from this point.

It's not worth taking the heat exchanger off, it's a complete wanker and a waste of time, if you REALLY want to clean it out you can disconnect the inlet manifold side, and bung the inlet manifold up and then use an airline to blow it out.

The EGR on the 1.6 is electronically driven, if you have PP2000 you can do an actuator test on it to see it in motion to make sure it's not sticking etc.

* The solenoid bolts on untouched EGR valves are usually tight and sheer really easily, also one of them is filled with a weird gum so you can't get a Torx drive in until it's been cleaned up. At this point it's best to take it off complete and stick it in a vice to work on the bolts. I used a mini pipe wrench on my old EGR to remove the bolts. On my new one, before I fitted it, I cut down the middle so I could get a meaty flat blade on them.

EGR <- a few pictures I took when doing mine this time around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
philkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-11, 05:44 PM   #3
jmkent

The MAF is a wire inside the plastic case.... you should see it after the air filter

The EGR has bolts holding each pipe on.
They are electronically controlled (plug on the side).
Once removed, give it a good clean with carb cleaner and check it moves freely.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-11, 05:47 PM   #4
Inactive User

On petrol the EGR doesn't have a pipe, just electric connection to the top and it bolts direct to engine block.
Undo both bolts, remove connection and remove EGR.
cleaning is mostly a case of carb cleaner, give it a real good dose and leave it to soak. Then give it another Good go.
No way I know of of testing off the car....on an Astra you can disconnect and test with little to no harm, but on one of these I think it automatically goes into limp mode and so you can't do that.
You could block off the outlet from the block but leave the egr connected ( you can buy blanking plates) this will throw the depolution warning up but might give you an idea of if the car runs better without the egr. Other people here will know for sure!
Maf sense on a petrol is at front on engine, held in with single screw and electric connection. About 50 quid for a new unit and two mins to swap. But that depends on your engine as well, again other will know more.
EGR swap/ clean is a five min job.
kirisute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-11, 05:48 PM   #5
jmkent

The EGR for the 1.6 looks quite a bit different to the internals on the 2.0 there Phil... amazed me really, would think they would work off the same principle.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-11, 05:51 PM   #6
Inactive User

Utterly different to 2litre petrol as well! Same cleaning routine though
kirisute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-11, 05:53 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
The EGR for the 1.6 looks quite a bit different to the internals on the 2.0 there Phil... amazed me really, would think they would work off the same principle.
Unfortunately the 1.6HDI EGR is a step up technology wise, and is also deeply integrated, so no tricking it! By the nature of it's design though, it seems to clog up pretty quickly even though it will be 'OK' for a while.

Elaborating slightly, it only takes around 5,000 miles for it to diminish overall performance after a good clean!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-11, 06:47 PM   #8
Inactive User

Thanks for all the posts.
Had my mates Snap On Solus Pro on it tonight, showing no fault on the EGR system, I will whip it off soon and give it a clean out anyway as its done 133,000 miles now.
Had a look through all the functions and it looks like the Solus Pro dose all that the PP2000/Lexia 3 can do, but at a much higher price!

Phil: looks like a bolt on clamp in the pictures, is that the newer 10 one?
Old 07-12-11, 08:01 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan407sw View Post
Thanks for all the posts.
Had my mates Snap On Solus Pro on it tonight, showing no fault on the EGR system, I will whip it off soon and give it a clean out anyway as its done 133,000 miles now.
Had a look through all the functions and it looks like the Solus Pro dose all that the PP2000/Lexia 3 can do, but at a much higher price!

Phil: looks like a bolt on clamp in the pictures, is that the newer 10 one?
Yeah, that's the new one, and they're fragile!

Also, there is no substitute for PP2000, honestly there just isn't.

Phil

Old 08-12-11, 08:37 AM   #10
Inactive User

I read through the past posts and found one on MAF that says unplug while the engine is running and it should cut out, mine keep running as normal. I've seen that Euro Car Parts do 2 types of MAF, either any good or would I be better getting a new one from main agent if I replace it. Any idea on price?
Engine Management Sensor | Engine Management Sensors for any car

My mpg has dropped a bit in the last year, and a fair bit after working on it this weekend. Im asuming that this is the only thing that the fuel stratagy and there are no O2 sensors like a petrol engine.

Last edited by bryan407sw; 08-12-11 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in