Lower ball joint warning grrrr - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 407XJR
  • 1 Post By fhmboy
  • 1 Post By mouleetfrite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-13, 07:34 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Lower ball joint warning grrrr

Hi all as the regulars will probably know I'm tight!!

I therefore removed my offside lower ball joint (following Trems very useful guide here https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...acement-13760/ ) yesterday with the intention of replacing the bearing with a shiny stainless steel bearing.

Please note that YES it is alot easier to remove the driveshaft nut and shaft than it is to struggle to remove the ball joint while its still attached to driveshaft, not too sure how the driveshaft now goes back into the engine!!

And further, regarding the discussions about replacing just the bearing, is it as I have previously posted a 6205 2RS (25mm bore, 52mm od, 15mm deep) ball bearing in the cheaper ones of ebay/motorfactors etc BUT please note you will need a 6205 2RS 27MM bore bearing. as I have [email protected]*$&%g discovered tonight after pressing a standard 62052RS into my old housing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhh!

If I ever meet the dickwad at Peugeot design who thought I know 'We'll make it as difficult as possible to work on this car including making the hub shaft 27mm' I'll stick a 62052RS up his arse.

Anyway rant over as a side note my droplinks were also shagged so I will be replacing those tomorrow night as well.
fhmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-02-13, 08:21 PM   #2
Inactive User

im guessin with your knowledge on bearings you work for some one like bsl brammer??
Old 18-02-13, 09:51 PM   #3
Inactive User

No I work for Bearings Impex, we are one of the UK's leading importer and exporter of random/old/obsolete bearings and associated bits, hence the bearing knowledge it's just unfortunate I assumed that a bearing stamped 6205 would actually be a 6205 and not the 27mm bored beastie it actually was!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 19-02-13, 03:01 PM   #4
Inactive User

as an apprentice i was always told to never assume anything.

So how much would it cost for two bearings plus postage then??
fhmboy likes this.
Old 19-02-13, 03:17 PM   #5
Inactive User

Unfortunately I'm a hotel manager by trade! Kind of fell into this job and still here 8 years later, as it stands only skf and ntn list the 27mm bearing, and they have none in the uk. I've had a standard 6205 bored out this afternoon to 27mm and it wouldn't be a problem to do more, but were quite expensive even doing mates rates for people on here you'd be looking at 25 a side, the only advantage to to that would be knowing it had been done right. However you can pick standard skf 6205 up from eBay for about 4-5 quid and any competent engineering firm should be able to open the bore up. I'll post some pics in a bit with a bit of a step by step

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
trem1 likes this.
Old 21-02-13, 02:21 PM   #6
Inactive User

Default Bearing Ref

I have just looked at the reference number on the bearings I have removed and the number I have is SKF BSC-2052V/C3 This did appear in the SKF list in China... I suppose Peugeot pick a ****ard size as a matter of course.
fhmboy likes this.
mouleetfrite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in