Loose subframe? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By reliable406
  • 2 Post By willholmania
  • 1 Post By willholmania
  • 1 Post By Reiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-19, 09:19 AM   #1

Default Loose subframe?

I've only had my 407 Coupé for a few weeks. It's always had a strange clonk that sometimes happens when coming on and off the gas. I've been waiting to get it up to a mate with a ramp's place but the situation has taken a drastic turn for the worse.

Yesterday when I braked the steering wheel shot an eighth of a turn to the right and the front of the car felt like it was on ice. Very scary. I limped it home and it does a similar thing all the time now, although he clonk has gone.

It seems both front wheels are moving in unison and there doesn't appear to be any play when jacking up the car and grabbing the wheels. My thoughts are that either the steering rack is loose in the subframe, or the subframe itself is loose. The latter is my best guess, looking at how the steering rack is mounted.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I'm hoping get the car on a ramp tomorrow afternoon to investigate.

Last edited by willholmania; 25-07-19 at 09:43 AM.
willholmania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-19, 09:29 AM   #2

Hi..check the lower swivels/frip joints for play as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-07-19, 11:42 AM   #3

lower joint bolts have come out it happens when people tighten them too much and damage the threads
trem1 and mooi1uk like this.

Old 25-07-19, 01:07 PM   #4

Thanks. It has a balljoint fitted just before I bought it.
Old 25-07-19, 05:41 PM   #5

You are absolutely spot on, sir! I just took the near side wheel off and the balljoint, which looks recent, has only got one bolt left in it. Thank you - very much appreciated indeed!
trem1 and michaelk like this.
Old 26-07-19, 11:46 AM   #6

Check the threads are ok if yes put a little thread locking fluid on the bolts and dont overtighten them.
Old 26-07-19, 05:31 PM   #7

The centre bolt had sheared in the joint and I was unable to drill it out in situ, so I put a new joint with new bolts on it. I used threadlock.
trem1 likes this.
Old 26-07-19, 10:57 PM   #8

The loss of these bolts happened to me some time ago with my 2ltr SW.
I had an inkling as to what was wrong because I could feel and hear a "clunk" when going from drive to overrun and back again.
I guessed that the offside front bottom end was loose somewhere and found, on the swivel joint, one bolt absent and the other two loose. I strongly dissaproved of this since I was towing a caravan at the time. I remembered something rattling under the car but had not seen anything on the road. The rattle was clearly the missing bolt.
I was at Oban at the time and found that the nearest Peugeot dealer was probably in Glasgow or Inverness. The bolts are a "dealer only" part. I `phoned the "lad" who then lived in Leeds.
He posted replacement bolts at 5 PM and, much to my amazement, I picked them up at the caravan site office at 9.30 the next morning.
I have read of one or two cases of complete collapse of the front suspension if these bolts are lost so I have the unused bolts from that new set in the boot as a precaution.
Beware the sound and feel of the "clunk". It is quite distinctive.

Reiver.
trem1 likes this.
Reiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in