Large hissing noise from engine and no power. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-13, 09:43 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Large hissing noise from engine and no power.

Hi everyone,

For about a month or so ive been experiencing juddering from my 407 2.0 hid when maintaining a constant speed. It was fine when accelerating. I thought it was my Air Mass sensor so i unplugged it to see. It ran fine for a few hours then the engine management light came on and i lost all my power.

I plugged the mass sensor back in but still no power or turbo. Takes ages to build speed up to a max of 30mph. I drove it to a friend who has a diagnostic machine and it came up with the following codes P2408 and P1118.

My friend suggested getting the fluid topped up that helps clean your DPF he said the tank is empty. Half the way back home there was a large pop and now there is a large hissing noise coming from my engine. I have checked all pipes and all look to be ok i just cant find exactly where the noise is coming from. Any ideas.
dfswayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-13, 11:39 AM   #2
CAB

The juddering could be down to the egr valve.

But looking at the code P2408 you've a failed fuel cap sensor so it won't be regening. Topping up fluid without sorting this is pointless.

P1118 is manifold absolute temp sensor circuit low input.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster

Last edited by CAB; 08-10-13 at 11:41 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-13, 11:47 AM   #3
Inactive User

Hi CABB,

Thanks for the reply. I have removed and cleaned the EGR and looks to be working ok now. My main worry now is the large hissing noise or air noise coming from the engine. If i remove my erg the noise stops. Cant tell exactly where its coming from but sounds toward the back of my engine below the egr.

Old 08-10-13, 11:58 AM   #4
CAB

Just because egr looks to be working doesn't mean it won't cause issues.

If the dpf is blocked due to failed fuel cap sensor or lost magnets it could have built up enough pressure to blow something.
Old 08-10-13, 02:59 PM   #5
Inactive User

Found the burst pipe. No ideas what it is for. I think its coming from the exhaust and it runs up the back of the engine and got to something just under my windscreen. Ive sourced some new pipe and will try to fit later (if i can reach it) If it pops again then i think the DPF is definitely blocked.

Any ides what its for? Its the back box with the back/green electric wire coming from it. Just in front of the silver foil.

There is 2 rubber pipes coming from that back. One of witch is split. It goes down the back of the engine and leads to another pipe. That is where the noise is coming from. There is hot air spurting from it and its quit how. Also has fumes smell from it.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2972%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by dfswayne; 08-10-13 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 03:43 PM   #6

The two small approx 10mm diameter rubber pipes are the ones that comes from the DPF. One in front and one behind it to measure differential pressure. Entering the differential pressure sensor seen in your picture.

PS.. I suppose you did remove the crank-case ventilation pipe yourself as it is missing in the picture....? Going from the left of the camcover to the black plastic outlet on the airpipe coming from the turbo?
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-13, 04:07 PM   #7
Inactive User

Yes i removed it to try find out where the hissing was coming from. Ive managed to get my arm down to where the pipe split and it feels like the plastic connector the pipe goes to has exploded off. Im thinking of just having my DPF removed as i think its blocked hence loss of power. Can i have the DPF removed by an exhaust place without a remap to same money.
Old 08-10-13, 05:20 PM   #8

DPF removal is a two stage process - the physical removal part which your exhaust place should be able to handle, and car programming. The car has to be told there's no longer a DPF or it'll constantly throw up faults...
BigSlavey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-13, 05:30 PM   #9
Inactive User

Do you know anyone in Doncaster area that does removal and remap. Ive been quoted 300 but the guy is in Huddersfield.
Old 08-10-13, 05:52 PM   #10
CAB

You need it fault free first then consider removal.

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in