Knock whilst turning - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-12-11, 01:12 PM   #1
jmkent

Default Knock whilst turning

My 407 has had this problem/fault for the past 6 months, but the garage is unable to find the root cause of it so far.

The problem.... A knock can be heard, and felt through the steering wheel, at times whilst on a fairly hard lock (not always full lock). It does it each time when reversing off my driveway, and it comes off the pavement on to the road. It will also do it when manoeuvring in car parks, i.e. hard lock one way, then way go to reverse and turn the wheel the other way, I get this knock and feel it through the steering wheel. I have tried to replicate it by just going from lock to lock, but it doesn't do it, it will only do it when moving at the same time, albeit only when at low speed/tighter turning.

Whether it is connected or not, who knows, but I also have a fair amount of vibration whilst driving - all wheels have been balanced more than once, and hasn't improved. Now it feels like this is also the front o/s, same as where the knock feels to be coming from, but that could be my mind linking the two together. The vibration is particularly prominent when driving at 40-50mph, but nothing felt at town driving, or when putting your foot down on the dual carriageway.

It sounds like the noise I had when the ball joints were gone last year, but as they were only done 18months ago and 15k miles, it definitely shouldn't be these, particularly as this problem started at least 6 months ago.

I've had the garage look for the cause.... and they have reported that everything is tight, no play in any of the suspension or steering. Not being mechanically minded, I don't really know where to look next. I'm not all that sure/confident driving with it until I know what is causing it... don't want anything to break whilst on the move!

I've got it booked back in with them to investigate further, but beforehand have you any suggestions guys??
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-12-11, 01:26 PM   #2
Inactive User

ah shites, well i had somewhat of a similar problem twice, and by that i mean the way it manifests itself.

first time, it was when the driveshaft was knackered, or to be more precise, the joint on the driveshaft, one closer to the gearbox, not the CV. it was caused by the broken engine suspension, the rubbery part holding the engine on its right side. its a bit tricky to get to as the air filter has to go off. get that checked, before you end up with broken driveshaft like me

and 2nd time, it was caused by... gasp... lack of oil in power steering pump. :| yeah, i didnt believe it myself. i had a tiny leak on power steering pump and the oil was slowly dripping for months, at one point i started having exactly the same symptoms, i checked the oil, but it looked normal, except bit bubbly. that was right after i turned the engine off, but after half an hour, and oil having settled, i could see that it was way below the min. level.

so i suggest check the 2nd one first, easier. and then the first one. good luck
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-11, 01:38 PM   #3
jmkent

Just been out and checked power steering level - well above the maximum, and car hasn't moved for 2 days so well settled. Power steering was one of the things the mechanic mentioned he had checked.

I too have asked about driveshaft/CV joint, but he reckons if it was the CV joint then it would be clicking, and not just this knock now and then.

I've asked them to check the driveshafts to be sure, because as you say, I don't want them broken.

Old 29-12-11, 01:52 PM   #4
Inactive User

Its not actually driveshaft problem itself, but the engine mounting bracket gives up which puts additional strain on the inner side joint of driveshaft.

Mine had the left bracket give way, but it can be either really. So its worth checking them, being that im not really good with the mechanical terms, heres a picture.

So i guess both left and right side should be checked, in red. One way you could check is open the bonnet, take a step back, and look at the engine, does it look tilted either left or right? even a slightly bit. thats the first thing i noticed, but i had no idea what was broken, and even if that might be normal. only once they took out the driveshaft to replace it and once new one was in, knocking sound was back as the actual cause of the problem was not solved.
Attached Thumbnails
whatwhat.jpg  
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-11, 02:23 PM   #5
jmkent

The engine looks level.... tried to check with a spirit level, but such slight movements affects it

Will be one of the things I'll ask them to check

I've topped up the power steering fluid (out of curiosity) - it was above the max before, but now its a good inch above - the tried and tested Peugeot way for electric power steering I can't quite see the relationship between power steering and the knock, but will see if it makes any difference

Last edited by jmkent; 29-12-11 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Extra detail
Old 29-12-11, 07:44 PM   #6
Inactive User

OR PROBLEM WITH PRESURRE valve in PIPE
Old 29-12-11, 07:48 PM   #7
jmkent

How could the power steering create a knock as I've described?
Old 30-03-12, 04:24 PM   #8
Inactive User

Default Any resolution?

Hi,

I wonder, did you ever get to the bottom of this?.

I recently brought a 407 SW 2.0 HDI Estate and have just noticed a knock that happens in very similar circumstances that were mentioned in the OP.

To add though, I have noticed mine happen sometimes when the car comes to a standstill as I'm approaching the end of a road I need to stop at before pulling away or traffic lightsm certainly not everytime though.

I had a good look last weekend to see if I could find anything loose, by getting the fronts up on Axle stands but couldnt spot anything.
Mike1507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-03-12, 07:39 PM   #9

Droplinks JM? frip joints or upper ball joints. I would look at these even though you had new frip joints not so long ago. Also roll bar clamp bushes

sterion75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-03-12, 07:45 PM   #10
jmkent

The dealer never really found what the cause was, however, after being back in with them again (costs covered 100% by them) it seems to be 99% OK. I have heard it perhaps once or twice in the last 2 months, so nowhere near what it was like.

When in with them, they checked everything to do with suspension, steering and driveshafts. There was absolutely no play in any of it, including all the suspension joints... which the lower ball joint was my first suspicion after the noises I had experienced before. However, they checked the torques on the upper ball joints, and did something to the subframe... not 100% sure what, but something to do with adding washers somewhere, lubricating and torquing it up. Whatever they did, it is now 99% fine and vastly improved from before, even though no parts were ever replaced. They experienced the knock, but after referring to Peugeot's known faults, the washers and torquing of the bolts was the only possible things to try (based on the fact there wasn't any play in any of the parts they checked).

Sorry it might not be a definitive answer, but it seems to have worked.

Davidireland on here, also Paugeot tech, also recommended to me that it could be the subframe creaking and would be ok by undoing and redoing the bolts... perhaps this is what they did that helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in