How Long of Clutch life? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-13, 08:23 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default How Long of Clutch life?

Folks,
Just got car back from garage....new bottom n/side ball joint and wheel bearing and sensor!

Chap told me he could hear the "springs starting to rattle" in the clutch......advised me that not too far ahead, that I"d be looking at a new clutch etc.....at around 7-800 !!!

Car is 2.0 hdi sw.....85k on the clock !??

Driving fine at the present..not slipping or juddering...

thx,
Cliff
Cliff Mc Ilwee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-13, 08:31 PM   #2

Before i bought mine at 52k it had a clutch done at 42k , i presume it was just a plate , now on 134k , so thats 92k at present
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-13, 08:34 PM   #3

Mine had a new clutch/flywheel at 42k. 20k ago, Under warranty of course (a good enough reason to buy from a dealer for me). Bugger paying for it. I of course do everything to make the clutches life easy, out of gear when stopped, not balancing it on inclines etc.

Old 27-02-13, 08:35 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Mc Ilwee View Post
Folks,
Just got car back from garage....new bottom n/side ball joint and wheel bearing and sensor!

Chap told me he could hear the "springs starting to rattle" in the clutch......advised me that not too far ahead, that I"d be looking at a new clutch etc.....at around 7-800 !!!

Car is 2.0 hdi sw.....85k on the clock !??

Driving fine at the present..not slipping or juddering...

thx,
Cliff
To be fair it all depends on how it has been driven and treated over the years. When your clutch starts to "slip" that is a key indication of replacement. Other indications include noisey flywheels etc.

At your own risk you can do a quick check to see how your clutch fairs. Put your hand brake on fully, put your car in first gear and with the engine running, let out your clutch as if to drive off your car. (Like that of the official driving way when at the traffic lights)

Usually, if the car engine revs increase and the car does not move your clutch is sliping. Likewise if the car moves your hand brake may need looking at.

For 85k it is quite possible your clutch is due replacement, however I have known some last until 100k and beyond. It is as a matter of fact the clutch is a wear part though like your brakes needing replacement over time.
chopper1192 likes this.
Old 27-02-13, 09:39 PM   #5
Inactive User

Thanks for the swift feedback folks,
I drive a round trip of 40 miles to work...and no real big changing of gears at weekend etc...clutch acually gets very little use as opposed to the likes of taxi"s etc...
Also, i do try and be smooth and change gears wisley etc...

The only probs....better to sell now?.....or....after the last piece of work being done, [ and paying good money to fix]...drive away and wait for the inevitable?
Cliff Mc Ilwee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-13, 02:52 AM   #6
Inactive User

Default Clutches... of evil.

Not sure how to reconcile the clutches you guys in UK & Europe seem to go through, unless they are somehow different to what we get here in OZ.
My 2005 1.6hdi, 239500ks
Mates 2006 2.0hdi 262000ks
another one in my town, 178000ks
and no ones done a clutch yet?
I cannot see that the style/type of driving can be that different. Perhaps there is a different spec for OZ delivered cars?

David
david.elliot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-13, 06:34 AM   #7
chopper1192

UK clutches are the same, bit the standard of driving in general and clutch use in particular is terrible over here.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-02-13, 07:17 AM   #8

If there are springs starting to rattle in the clutch, your car need to be a petrol anyway.
The diesel has a solid clutch disc without any springs.

What your mechanic meant to tell you was that the springs in your dual mass flywheel is getting noisy, hence your flywheel might need to be changed in not too long time.

That said I wouldn't rely on that info unless you can hear some "strange" noises yourself, as he might just have been looking for more work. But I would say it is likely that a dual mass flywheel needs to be changed within 100k miles anyway, so he could have a point. Get someone else to listen to it also, but I think you'll notice when it really starts to go, and just get it fixed then.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-13, 04:31 PM   #9
Inactive User

I've seen clutches fail at 20k, i think your mechanic is just trying to get money out of you.
Forget it, and whenever you start having clutch issues that's when id worry!
Old 01-03-13, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.elliot View Post
Not sure how to reconcile the clutches you guys in UK & Europe seem to go through, unless they are somehow different to what we get here in OZ.
My 2005 1.6hdi, 239500ks
Mates 2006 2.0hdi 262000ks
another one in my town, 178000ks
and no ones done a clutch yet?
I cannot see that the style/type of driving can be that different. Perhaps there is a different spec for OZ delivered cars?

David
Don't know what the daily commute in Oz is like but in the UK, a lot of people are in very slow or stop / start traffic which requires a lot of clutch usage. Fortunately, my daily commute is around 15 miles normal roads and 105 miles on the motorway. Only heacy traffic I get is on my way home and that is only about 3 miles of normal roads, most of which is reasonable without too many gear changes.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in