How hard to change timing belt on 1.6hdi - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-16, 04:51 PM   #1

Default How hard to change timing belt on 1.6hdi

So, this is my first post here.

I just bought a 2006 407 1.6hdi sw, on the cheap, (450) it's got a few problems, esp sensor, gearbox mount, etc, and the timing belt is due. The previous owner had the new belt and w/pump so he gave me those with it too.

My question is, how hard is it to change the belt? I'll usually have a whack off anything myself, within reason. In the past I've changed brakes, shocks, wheel bearings, wishbone etc on different cars.

I've been looking at the procedure on youtube for a few different cars and some look 'easy' while others look like a nightmare, removing engine mountings and jacking up the engine etc.

Is it worth giving it a go myself? Or am I better going to a mechanic? And any tips, if I do it myself, would be welcome..
gijoe50000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-16, 05:45 PM   #2

hi...plenty of guides on here about cam belts...follow any guide to the letter and all will be well..if in doubt ..farm it out..do it wrong and it can be catastrophic...good luck
ps change all the pulleys and water pump and the drive belt while youre there
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-16, 06:18 PM   #3

Yea, he gave me the new pulleys and a pump as well so I'll definitely change them too. I had a look through the forum but didn't come across any guides, I'll have another look though, now that I know they're there!

Old 09-11-16, 06:48 PM   #4

Main thing is to lock the cam(s) & crank before removing the belt and refitting. If there's a haynes manual for the 407 then it would help. I used haynes to help me replace the timing belts on a 1.6hdi 307 and a 1.4 petrol 207. It's a bit of a pig to do but can be done easily in a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-16, 07:25 PM   #5

ANY 1.6 hdi manual would do as the engine is almost the same in every vehicle its fitted to from peugeot to citroen ford volvo mazda etc
Old 09-11-16, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Main thing is to lock the cam(s) & crank before removing the belt and refitting. If there's a haynes manual for the 407 then it would help. I used haynes to help me replace the timing belts on a 1.6hdi 307 and a 1.4 petrol 207. It's a bit of a pig to do but can be done easily in a day.
Yea, I'll definitely lock the cam, crank etc. I've seen people do it by marking the positions. Might try using drill bits or something, but I've heard of them falling out! Maybe both methods together might work. The lock-kits seem to be very expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
ANY 1.6 hdi manual would do as the engine is almost the same in every vehicle its fitted to from peugeot to citroen ford volvo mazda etc
That's handy to know, thanks!
Been looking online for manuals but haven't found any yet. I just got in to Servicebox there now and I'm having a look around at their diagrams etc..
Old 10-11-16, 07:33 AM   #7

There is a Haynes for the 407 Diesel, 1.6 og 2.0 HDi ones.

Should be all you need. I did it on my missus 308 1.6 HDi, and it was really not a problem. Just used a bit of extra time as it was the first time on the 1.6 HDi.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-16, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ack__Mi16 View Post
There is a Haynes for the 407 Diesel, 1.6 og 2.0 HDi ones.

Should be all you need. I did it on my missus 308 1.6 HDi, and it was really not a problem. Just used a bit of extra time as it was the first time on the 1.6 HDi.
Nice one. I think I've watched enough videos on different models to have a general feel for it now. Did you use/need a torque wrench?
Old 17-11-16, 02:49 PM   #9

So I fitted the timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner and all went well.

My biggest fear was getting the crankshaft pulley off without an airgun, but just locking the flywheel and used a homemade cheater bar. That was probably the easiest thing about the whole job!

I was a bit scared too about removing the engine mount, as I had only one jack but I just put a block of wood under the engine and lowered the car down on to it, and moved it up and down as needed.

Probably the most awkward thing (in my case) was that I didn't have a shallow 15 socket or spanner (my spanner set went from 14-17, lol) for the tensioner on the fanbelt. I think manufacturers put some things in awkward places on purpose! I ended up taking it off by removing the cs pulley, and forced it back on by manually rotating the cs. I have a new fanbelt and 15 spanner in the post. :-)

I did screw up a little when putting in the locking pin for the fuel pump...
The Servicebox diagram I was using said the locking hole was at 12 o clock, but I don't think it was. I couldn't get anything in there when everything else was lined up. At that stage I was lazy and I had everything marked anyway, and the cs and wp were locked so I just went ahead and fitted the belt.

I Made sure everything was tensioned correctly. Then doubled checked the markings and done a few manual turns to make sure everything lined up.

Started first time.. :-)
Quite happy I saved myself a few hundred euros..
Old 17-11-16, 03:20 PM   #10

Pump has no timing hole as it does not need timed timing is done by the ecu pump is just a pump
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in