Help my 407 is sailing like a boat in the rear - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-11-15, 07:36 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Help my 407 is sailing like a boat in the rear

Hi guys, im having trouble finding out what is the problem with my 407sw it feels like im driving a boat.
I had it up in the air and checked all suspension parts in the rear and the only thing i find is the trailing arm that stop front and back movement that got some play all the rest is good i also checked tire pressure.
I wonder if anyone have experienced the same the problem startet a couple of week after i changed to winter tires but i got new rims and tires.

When i say it feels like a boat i mean it moves over in that back when i sway from side to side or sharp cornering especially in the right rear wheel, i have never experienced this much swaying since i drove an 30 old year Saab 900 a couple of years ago.
Since im a mechanic that does MOT i must say i have never feelt such movement without finding the part causing it.
Also both the springs and shock absorbers in the rear are new, please tell me if anyone got a clue i cant feel the play when car is lifted up.
Pug407sw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-11-15, 06:08 PM   #2

Try swapping the wheels front to back, or put the old ones back on and see if that makes a difference.

Roger.
Old 23-11-15, 05:44 AM   #3
Inactive User

The rims & tire are brand new, im trying to find parts for the trailing arm that stops movement front to back on the rear axle but they are hard to find.

Old 24-11-15, 05:29 PM   #4

Even though the rims and tyres are new it doesn't rule them out from being faulty. You say the problem started when you put new wheels and tyres on. It's the first place I would look.

Roger.
Old 24-11-15, 08:00 PM   #5

I asume the wheels are correct fitment for the hubs and if so sitting square on the hub.
bravocars1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-11-15, 03:55 PM   #6
Inactive User

Hi thanks for the answers.
The hub was cleaned and they are only 5 months old, the new rims are balanced and they have the plastic ring inside so it fits perfect on the hub.

Also i removed the wheels to check it better but i cant find anything, i orderd new oem bushes to the arm track arm stopping it from moving front to back but i cant see how that could make l this moving.

I have thought about the tires a bit, the have the same profile and size as the old summer tires but winter tires are softer but its just to much to be just tires.

I will report back after i change bushes in the rear, the swaying did not happen after i changed tires but a week or two after and i tested the tires good the first week and it was not swaying like it do now.
Im starting to think there is a bush that is bad but i cant find it when the car is lifted up making me think its only hen the bush get pressed.
Old 26-11-15, 08:22 AM   #7

Can probably be one of the bushes of the main A arm?
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-11-15, 11:58 PM   #8
Inactive User

Hi i ill check the bushes in the A arm again but they are hard to get at, i got the new bushes so i will change them on monday.
Old 18-12-15, 02:09 PM   #9
Inactive User

Just for some orientation.

Stock 19s come with 235/40/19.
By that logic 20s will go as 235/35/20

I'm running 245/40/18 atm on stock 18s and they fit good.
I had 255/40/18 too, so don't worry about rubbing.

I was honestly tired of listening to "you must run 235/45/18 bla bla or it will rub" from mechanics. 2 years so far, no problems.
xyl44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-12-15, 02:11 PM   #10
Inactive User

Damn it, sry wrong reply.. I really need to sleep.
xyl44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in