Hello. NEW ARRIVAL....help!!! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-19, 06:45 AM   #1

Default Hello. NEW ARRIVAL....help!!!

Hello
Since yesterday i own a P407sw 1.6 hdi. 146k Exterior and interior are VERY good.
But our relationship didnt star well......

Driving home from London...Guess DPF failure, limp mode, check engine light the entire party.
I manage to get to a shell gas station. Half tank and 15 min later start te car..well no more message on the nav display and check engine light was gone.....( i want to remove and clean the dfp valve...any tutorials?). I menage to drive home in Blandford so it was quite a long ride. Only thing was between 1800 and 2200 rpm there are some hesitations....Fuel filter?EGR? Pipes?
But she got home

I will take photos so you guys can help me.....

The engine is a mess there was a problem with injector 4 ( it was replaced so i have a `new`one there but the engine is full of crude or some kind of black gunk.
there is a oil leak on the right side of the engine from top to bottom i need to clean it all so i can be sure (are there any common leaks on this cars?)

The red seal on the turbo is a goner i already bought one should be here on Saturday

So far its my adventure.....Another thing the car doesn't smoke at all maybe a bit under hard acceleration , if i had the chance to pull to 2500 3000 rpm.

The lcd in the cluster is not working...i wonder if it was turned off so we could not see the BAD things ....anything i can try to do so i can revive it?

This was a 300 pound car it was from a friend. I will post photos the car looks really good. roof works perfect. the glass boot door is a bit temperamental but ..any ideias?

Many Thanks.
Any ideas advice things to check and to do.
P407sw16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-07-19, 11:48 AM   #2

People ALWAYS go straight to blame the DPF in most cases its not the DPF thats the cause its just a casualty.

DPF systems work fine if the system is maintained properly and the car is driven correctly

Your issues will more than likely be due to lack of maintainance in general with many possible things wrong not all need to cost a lot to fix it depends what route you decide to take.

Best thing to do is read LOTS of info on the forum this will give you an idea of some of the things to check/service.
Old 25-07-19, 06:33 PM   #3

I'd also recommend to pick up a Lexia cable, and install Peugeot Planet (or Diagbox) on a laptop and get a diagnostic set up up and running. Especially if there's a lot of work to do.
Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP2000-V4...MAAOSwsYpaH36O

Or you could just pay £70 to the dealer every time you want to see what the errors are all about! :-)
It was one of the best purchases I ever made. Same car as yours, and with a whole host of problems too.

In relation to the oil leak, I had this issue myself, because the intake manifold has two little plastic pins at the back, that the air filter housing sits on. Mine were broken off, and leaking oil from they holes left, so I picked up a new intake on eBay for about £30.

Limp mode and bad performance may very well be an EGR that's sticking open. Has this recently myself. Very hard to take off when exhaust gas is pouring into the intake, instead of fresh air.

Bodgit and Leggit has a video about changing a turbo on this engine, and he also takes off the DPF. It looks like a messy job, some bolts look very hard to get to.
I'd maybe start off giving the EGR a clean, or blocking it off.

With Peugeot Planet, mentioned above, you can get all the info you need to know if things are sticking, broken, intermittently working.. etc.

Old 25-07-19, 06:42 PM   #4
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Was it Aunty Pollution?
That's a generic message that's shown for dozens of different and unrelated reasons. You really need to get it onto the dealer diagnostics -- PeugeotPlanet2000 / Diagbox -- to find out what it's upset about. (Link in my signature to map of members who can do diagnostic for you.)

Indeed a lot of people assume that the EML means DPF and this is usually wrong.

While you're in the diagnostics you want to know the soot load in the DPF (percent), how much ash is in the DPF (grammes), and how much additive is left (millilitres).

A DPF regen is triggered when the soot counter reaches a certain threshold (65% in my 2.2, 70% in the 508 2.0 140 we had) (there is no sensor) but after a regen ash is left in the DPF and this eventually permenently blocks the DPF which must then be replaced.
Every time you add fuel the tank is dosed with additive. I have just had the low additive warning come up but Diagbox shows 700ml remaining so I'm not in a rush. (It seems to dose about 1ml per 10l fuel.)

If it's in limp mode then it won't rev over 3000rpm so I think that needs sorting before you can reliably say it's hesitant. Although 1800rpm rings a bell as the point at which the turbo becomes useful. Under/over boost or actuators reporting a position different to the requested position will cause EML+limp.

Frankly, needing a new turbo on a 1.6 isn't a big surpirse

Blank the EGR. Just do it.

On the instrument cluster: never heard of that before.
They're straightforward plug-and-play swap but note that the mileage after the swap will be the greater of the mileage on your car and the mileage on the car the clocks came from.
If you're replacing a 4-clock cluster with a 5-clock one then you may need Diagbox to tell the ECU to send the oil level data. Check carefully when shopping for a replacement because there are dozens of different clock combinations (petrol, diesel, auto, manual, and even different graduations on the speedo).

Good luck
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-07-19, 08:00 PM   #5

Hello and thanks you for the reply....
I have Diagbox and the obd cable is a VCI+A-BIT.
I haven't tried yet.
I am familiar with Volvo Vida (my other car).

When i was driving it went to limp mode. Then on the gps screen (that was another of my questions is about my lcd panel in the cluster is not working) appeared something like regenerating system faulty (i guess it was that) ....and the check engine light

Then i have noticed i was low on fuel. I menage to get to a gas station ( Shell) Put half tank and when i started the car the the message was gone, and no more engine light....
i dont know if there were any on the the lcd ( not working, i wonder how can i fix it).I dont want to replace anything the cluster i just want to fix the lcd..preferably not changing anything....So if i buy a new one.....it will say 000000 miles?

Then the car made more 74 miles and i got home. The only thing was between 1800 and 2000 rpm it kind of fail like a shutter.
And vibrating on first gear.

I checked my turbo and the shaft is ok, it doesn't smoke, and i if i press hard it will kick , i didn't because i was afraid it would get into limp mode.
But is a new system so i have a lot to learn , all help is appreciated.I really like this car

Last edited by P407sw16; 25-07-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 25-07-19, 08:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by P407sw16 View Post
Hello and thanks you for the reply....
I have Diagbox and the obd cable is a VCI+A-BIT.
I haven't tried yet.
I am familiar with Volvo Vida (my other car).

When i was driving it went to limp mode. Then on the gps screen (that was another of my questions is about my lcd panel in the cluster is not working) appeared something like regenerating system faulty (i guess it was that) ....and the check engine light

Then i have noticed i was low on fuel. I menage to get to a gas station ( Shell) Put half tank and when i started the car the the message was gone, and no more engine light....
i dont know if there were any on the the lcd ( not working, i wonder how can i fix it).I dont want to replace anything the cluster i just want to fix the lcd..preferably not changing anything....So if i buy a new one.....it will say 000000 miles?

Then the car made more 74 miles and i got home. The only thing was between 1800 and 2000 rpm it kind of fail like a shutter.
And vibrating on first gear.

I checked my turbo and the shaft is ok, it doesn't smoke, and i if i press hard it will kick , i didn't because i was afraid it would get into limp mode.
But is a new system so i have a lot to learn , all help is appreciated.I really like this car
I don't know much about the VCI+A-BIT, but from what I remember hearing others saying, you need the Lexia3 version of the cable for Peugeots and Citroens. Of course generic scan tools will work too, but I don't know how accurate they are. The Lexia is handy though, because it's made especially for these cars. Maybe someone knows a bit more detail on this?

A quick way to check if the EGR is stuck open and causing the stuttering, is to remove the EGR intake pipe, where it connects to the air intake manifold and temporarily plug the hole in the manifold to stop the recycled exhaust fumes getting back in.

It's at the rear left of the air intake manifold, and it's a hard silver corrugated pipe, just behind the fuel lines. You can just tape or screw a piece of plastic or cardboard over the hole in the manifold and see if the car runs better.
If so then just permanently block the EGR there, or at the EGR itself with a blanking plate.
Old 25-07-19, 08:39 PM   #7

Many Thanks.
But will the car fail on MOT if the egr is blank?

Why when on take of first gear there is a vibration? IS that engine mount, clutch??

Any ideas on the lcd?

Last edited by P407sw16; 25-07-19 at 08:45 PM.
Old 25-07-19, 08:52 PM   #8

Car won't fail mot with egr blanked, mine havnt in last 12 years, which I've screen ?? The radio mfd or the mileage Mrs ??

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-07-19, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by P407sw16 View Post
Many Thanks.
But will the car fail on MOT if the egr is blank?

Why when on take of first gear there is a vibration? IS that engine mount, clutch??

Any ideas on the lcd?
I don't think the blanking should affect the MOT, or give any warning lights, but stories from different people, and at different times, vary wildly on this.

For example, my egr is not working at the moment, and I had a check engine light on for weeks because of it, but I cleared the errors a few days ago and the check engine light is now gone, but I'm still getting a "risk of filter blocking" warning on the dash.

These warning lights seem to have a mind of their own.

What may, give a check engine light though, is if the egr is reporting that it's sticking. In my case, previously, my abs/esp stopped working because the egr was sticking, and the car couldn't calculate a torque reading for the esp system, so I always had an abs light on.

I think the general idea is to give the egr a clean, then blank it, if it's giving any trouble.

Which LCD do you have? is it the orange display, or the coloured one?
The orange ones are notorious for going dark when they get hot. Hot days, or heating on.
Usually in the evenings, or morning, they'll work, or if you're running cold air con for a while.
You can get replacements on eBay.
I wired a little fan in the back of mine last year, but results were not very noticable.

If you have the coloured LCD then I have no idea.. Maybe just broken.
Old 26-07-19, 07:12 PM   #10

Thank you for all your input.

I will clean the egr , since im cleaning the DPF. Do i need any special clamps or brackets? I sk because i saw the video of removing the egr from a Berlingo and it had clamps like the ones used on exhaust????

How to take the vacuum cable from the vacuum pump?

The lcd i dont know what kind it is...my car has NAV i dont know if that helps, is there any way for me to get that info for you guys?
If i buy a new one it will read the miles from the car right???

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in