Have i bought a lemon? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-13, 01:57 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Have i bought a lemon?

I bought this 407 on a 54 plate 1.6 SW (86000 miles on the clock) 3 weeks ago (without guarantee) I was told that a new turbo had been fitted.

I have been having several problems ever since the 2nd week of driving it.

I have had it hooked up to planet and the diagnostic report is in the attached pictures. I also have fault code P0409 come up,
and as of yesterday, a new set of faults showed up on the lcd in the dash: ESP faulty and Depolution system faulty, and it also feels more sluggish since.
I had to change down to 2nd gear going up a hill which i normally did in 5th in my 1.8 petrol 406!

see attached pics and please someone tell me if this is repairable at a reasonable cost.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
dsc03677.jpg   dsc03678.jpg   ecu.jpg   ecu1.jpg   error.jpg  

Martin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-13, 02:28 PM   #2
Inactive User

In answer to your question; yes you have

Any car that has had its turbo done rings alarm bells for me as a buyer. I appreciate they go over time but if the car was well serviced and looked after not having the sh*t kicked out of it then there would be no excuse to a turbo longevity. This in turn tells me it is likely the owner did not look after this car and could be subject to further issues including yours.

In relation to your actual issues, depollution will be the particle filter / DPF or more likely related to your PP diagnostic relating to the engine ECU. This fault usually is generic for engine management faults but more than that I do not know.

The ESP / ASR fault, could be a few issues including the sensors or ECU but an expert maybe able to give your more information here on the forum. What does the diagnostic tell you as you havent posted it?

On a side note your VIN is displayed in those images, maybe worth blocking them out to the general public.
Johnt_21 likes this.

Last edited by matt002; 09-02-13 at 02:31 PM.
matt002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-13, 05:44 PM   #3

Most likely scenario is that the particulate filter is not being regenrated properly due to glowplug fault this in turn could lead to everything else except the abs esp fault which you would need to go into the abs ecu to read properly
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-13, 05:59 PM   #4

Agree, DPF will not regenerate due to the glow plugs not working properly.

But the EGR surely also can make things much worse if it is stuck in open position.
My car did actually drive quite ok even though my DPF was totally clogged up.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-13, 06:00 PM   #5
jmkent

The ESP/ASR fault can also be caused due to a faulty brake light switch - was the case in mine
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-13, 06:24 PM   #6
Inactive User

The wierd thing is that the ESP warning came on at the same time as the depollution warning, within 5 seconds of each other

and since then, the performance has been very poor

could these 2 warnings all boil down to one fault?
Martin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-13, 06:27 PM   #7
jmkent

I can't personally see how they can be related
Old 09-02-13, 06:43 PM   #8

Its possible that the underbonnet fusebox is causing the esp abs fault too but no point in guessing check what faults are stored in the abs unit

It could even be a bad earth causing everything as bad earths can do strange things my own car had a bad earth and sometimes it started sometimes it did not temp said overheating stop light on then it would go back to normal 5 mins later overheating again fuel level light on with half tank wipers wiping randomly etc etc
Old 09-02-13, 07:44 PM   #9
davidireland

Default Re: Have i bought a lemon?

There are no glowplug faults. The egr is sticking on programming as in that fault above. Airflow problems woll not alow regeneration.
Seeing as the car had a new turbo that would definitely set off alarm bells. It crys out of a car that was not minded. Turbos go for a reason on this engine the majority because of rubbish oil and filter change intervals.

Sent from my GT-S5690
Old 09-02-13, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
There are no glowplug faults.
Sent from my GT-S5690
pre/post heating relay spark plugs not supplied thats a glowplug fault
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in