Has someone deliberately shorted my BSM? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-18, 01:59 PM   #1

Default Has someone deliberately shorted my BSM?

My dash brought up that I had an airbag fault as well as my air con fan not working. I have alos randomly been getting an ESP fault.20180227_162727_1519742988949.jpg So I decided to check the fuses, the ones in the passenger footwell were fine, then I checked under the bonnet and found the cable in the pics burnt and thoroughly corroded. It seems that the insulation on them has been stripped, they've been wrapped together and covered in electrical tape. Would I be right in thinking that a previous owner/mechanic has done this to short the BSM? Or is there another explanation? Could this be the reason I'm having these electrical faults? Also what does this particular plug do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180227_162727_1519742988949.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	73297
Attached Thumbnails
20180227_155126_1519743210797.jpg   20180227_162709_1519743424813.jpg  
Boshi1664 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-18, 02:49 PM   #2

Hi Boshy

I don't know what the wire is but I've seen something similar on a car that has had taxi meters and taxi signs connected to a constant live. If that is a constant or even a switched live that could be an explanation..

Grumpy
Old 27-02-18, 05:10 PM   #3

If I remember correctly, those wires come with insulation tape around it to simply hold the wires in place from the factory.

What looks like has happened, the insulation from the wires has cracked, leaving fresh copper exposed to the environment. This has reduced the amount of copper available to transmit power, increasing the resistance, which heats the wire up, causing the burns etc. - I've gotten to this theory by looking at the plug the wires go into - there's a section of insulation missing near the plug!

Trace the wires back, go to CPC Farnell, buy the correct diameter wire and replace all the damaged sections with good solder. You might be able to purchase the section of the loom separately though which might be cheaper / easier.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 27-02-18, 05:31 PM   #4

As above this is a failure not sabotage this is A main power feed both wires are indeed taped together originally if i remember correctly the wires go to the BSI and the cooling fan circuit
Old 27-02-18, 07:05 PM   #5

check your fan is free , if the fan has seized or is sticking that may be the cause as the extra load will cause resistance and over heating of the wires . also check the relays and wiring on the fan for the same fault
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-18, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
check your fan is free , if the fan has seized or is sticking that may be the cause as the extra load will cause resistance and over heating of the wires . also check the relays and wiring on the fan for the same fault
Nope, fuse would pop in that situation. Any half decent engineer would spec the fuse rating lower than the wire capability to avoid overheating and a potential engine fire.

But as the fan is easy to get to, go ahead an give it a spin... with a tool and not your fingers!
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-02-18, 07:59 PM   #7

It would be a 40 amp fuse possibly even more so it may not blow the fuse !

I dont think that wire is fused to be honest and if the current draw is high but not high enough to blow the fuse it can and will melt the wires we have all seen melted headlight bulb connections over the years same thing too much current but not enough to blow the fuse.
Haggis likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in