Glow plugs - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-13, 05:15 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Glow plugs

Hi.Can anyone tell me what sort of a job it is to replace the glow plugs on my 407. It is a 2.0 Hdi. 2005. Cheers Steve.
407spm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-13, 07:13 PM   #2

It's a bit tight, remove the EGR valve, EGR cooler and Elbow down on the manifold (this one might be a problem if bolts shear off, I had to take the engine out to fix it).

Then you get access to the plugs, but you have to work a bit in the blind as it's hard to see anything back there. (between engine and bulkhead).

Not sure if the elbow onto the manifold need to be removed, but sadly I think it must. Guess someone else can confirm or unconfirm it...
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-13, 08:27 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ack__Mi16 View Post
It's a bit tight, remove the EGR valve, EGR cooler and Elbow down on the manifold (this one might be a problem if bolts shear off, I had to take the engine out to fix it).

Then you get access to the plugs, but you have to work a bit in the blind as it's hard to see anything back there. (between engine and bulkhead).

Not sure if the elbow onto the manifold need to be removed, but sadly I think it must. Guess someone else can confirm or unconfirm it...
Thanks for the reply. Not a 10min job then

Old 02-03-13, 08:25 AM   #4

They're a git. I paid my mechanic to do mine. I did the relay though...ahem.
Old 02-03-13, 08:34 AM   #5

But after doing it the first time, and as long as the elbow to manifold is not stuck, it is an easy job

Last time I did it it was so easy.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-13, 09:51 AM   #6
Inactive User

I am thinking this could be the relay and not the plugs. When you switch the ign on. The pre heat light only stays on fo a couple of seconds and then goes out. When you start it the pre heat light comes back on just for a couple of seconds. The car has done 57000 miles. It always starts though, but i feel the light should stay on a little longer than it does. Cheers Steve.
Old 03-03-13, 04:17 PM   #7
Inactive User

The glow plugs will just need to warm to temperature so this process might vary slightly depending on temperature around car. Are there any other symptoms other than what you describe in your last post?
nandiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-13, 04:22 PM   #8
davidireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407spm View Post
I am thinking this could be the relay and not the plugs. When you switch the ign on. The pre heat light only stays on fo a couple of seconds and then goes out. When you start it the pre heat light comes back on just for a couple of seconds. The car has done 57000 miles. It always starts though, but i feel the light should stay on a little longer than it does. Cheers Steve.
The Hdi engine only pretty much needs the heater plugs for regenerating the DPF more than starting. Although they are on maybe for five minutes after startup but you don't know. The light not coming on doesn't mean they're not working.
Get a diagnostic check done, if fault code P1351 is present then you need heater plugs. If not then you don't.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-13, 08:58 PM   #9
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies. The light only stays on for a couple of seconds no matter what the temp is. When it was really cold/freezing. It still started but was maybe a little lumpy for a very very short time. A fault code did come up on the engine when i was trying to get my bluetooth working. Something about pre heat/relay. But i didnt take much notice of it at the time. cant remember what code it came up with. Cheers Steve.
Old 03-03-13, 09:01 PM   #10
davidireland

If it has that fault description then you need glow plugs.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in