Getting false trouble codes after a visit to dealership for mechanical checks?? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-02-17, 09:47 PM   #1
Inactive User

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. It's just that I bought a 2009 407, 2.0 hdi (manual transmission) about a month ago. Been driving well. I decided to have it checked by a mechanic last weak, because I thought I was hearing noises from under the car. They told me mechanically everything looked in good shape and that I had nothing to worry about. But when I got in the car to drive away, I noticed a strange message on the radio display (or the main display above the center console). The message said the following "Do you want to continue listening to traffic information from XXX radio channel?" I switched it off and continued driving. I thought may be the guy was playing with radio. Didn't think it was serious. But then after 10 kilometers, I got another fault code saying "Pollution system faulty" on the display and the big red STOP sign on the dash board. And this time the car went on limp mode. I cycled the ignition off and on, and it went away, I was able to drive home. Next day, I received "engine oil pressure " warning in a very similar manner. And the message on the radio about listening to traffic info will pop up every so often, absolutely randomly. This morning, I was about to start the car, I turned the ignition to ON position and the car went through the routine check sequence and registered the pollution code again. I cycled the power and it cleared itself. So I am now starting to think that all of these are false alarms and could have been caused by accidental damage when the mechanic was going around and moving things with a big pry bar. May be he accidentally damaged or shorted a cable. The place was an independent dealership and is called Auto Garant. I live in Czech Republic. I went back today and reported the problem. They insisted that either I was making things up or it was a coincidence. And basically I was told to leave. Tomorrow I am going to file a complain with the local office of business practices. Because I am really frustrated. But other than that, what do you think may have happened? The mechanic was mostly checking the moving parts under the car. And I saw him doing something under the hood also. How could a mechanical inspection trigger electrical issues? Anyone had similar issues? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Anar; 22-02-17 at 10:06 PM.
Anar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-17, 04:54 AM   #2
Inactive User

I think the traffic anoucnments on your radio is a setting you can switch off on the radio, I belief it comes on automaticly every now and then. I could be wrong. and sounds un related to your other problems.

As for the other problems.. You should find out what the error codes are saying with diag machine. The reason.. you just purchased the car and the rest may not be related the the garage you went to at all. So dont get mad with the garage or machanics untill you know 100% what the problem is.

Before you go to diagagnose the cars computer .. make sure you have all the fluids at the right levels in the car.

Especialy check the oil is ok since you said one of the lights was OIL. Your car is saying something is wrong
Also check the oil cap on the engine is secure.

worst case is a oil pressure switch or a blockage/loss in the oil, but you really need to find the error codes to know more.
How old is the oil and oil filter?

Last edited by PeugoetD; 23-02-17 at 05:06 AM.
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-02-17, 07:09 AM   #3

A common cause of random warning on Peugeots is low battery volts. If the car has been standing for a long time in a dealer, the battery can get "sulphated". This can sometimes be cured by putting the battery on charge with a good quality charger.

If that does not work, have the battery tested - it may need to be replaced.

Also get the alternator checked.

As said above, the radio message can be switched off. On my radio, it is the TA button.

Last edited by IanML; 23-02-17 at 07:12 AM.
IanML is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-02-17, 10:19 AM   #4

You need the car diagnosing on Peugeot Planet or Diagbox.

Even if you believe that it is an electrical fault or a "false alarm", you should try to find out what is happening.

The car goes in to limp mode because it is trying to protect the engine, turbo and other components - even if it is a little electrical fault. So, in order to prevent further damage, it needs diagnosing accurately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in