Front Hub Carrier Bush Replacement - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-09-13, 03:34 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Front Hub Carrier Bush Replacement

Hi all,

I am looking at changing the 2 front hub carrier bushes (that fit at bottom with a bolt through on to wishbone) on my Peugeot 497 myself. I am wondering whether anyone has essentially cut/knocked the old ones out with the wheel hub in situ? Then perhaps use a vice or c clamp to stick the new one on. Seems feasible I think. To reinforce my idea an eBay seller of these aftermarket bushes says its possible too. But I would prefer a how to guide or at least some pics of it being done so I don't screw it up.

Anyone done it this way? Would save a lot of bother of taking off the hub then finding someone with a press.

Thanks.
tecas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-09-13, 10:27 AM   #2
Inactive User

I just did it on my car Brought the bush on ebay, since Peugeot don`t sell/have them. I guess you can manage get them without removing the hub, but its not easy. I removed the whole hub from the car and used a 10 tonn hydraulic press that I have, the bush let go from the hub with around 2,5t pressure.
So, I guess it all depends on your tools..Under is a pic from the work

keet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-09-13, 10:50 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keet View Post
I just did it on my car Brought the bush on ebay, since Peugeot don`t sell/have them. I guess you can manage get them without removing the hub, but its not easy. I removed the whole hub from the car and used a 10 tonn hydraulic press that I have, the bush let go from the hub with around 2,5t pressure.
So, I guess it all depends on your tools..Under is a pic from the work

Hi Keet,

Great work. Did you follow any specific step by step guide? What would you consider to be the difficulty level in doing this? Was the pressure around the same 2.5t putting the new bush in? If so , probably changing the bush with the hub in situ wouldn't be feasible...

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old 26-09-13, 01:25 PM   #4
Inactive User

I did not follow any specific guide, removal of the hub pretty straight forward
The hardest part was actually to reassemble the stabiliser-link, as it holds the shock absorber in place. If you have a little more then average mechanical skills, you would do just fine The pressure was the same to put it in, but i guess this can vary from bush to bush. A alternative could be to take the whole hub to a workshop that has a press, and have them to do the press job?

Anyway there are some tools required that can stand out from the standard home garage selection:

- Inverted torx socket to remove the bolt on the upper control-arm and the bolt that runs trough hub carrier bush.
- Torx pipe to remove the brake caliper and brake disc.
- Balljoint tool to release the tie rod end.
- 36mm socket for the driveshaft
Old 27-09-13, 12:18 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
I did not follow any specific guide, removal of the hub pretty straight forward
The hardest part was actually to reassemble the stabiliser-link, as it holds the shock absorber in place. If you have a little more then average mechanical skills, you would do just fine
I think that's my worry, taking it all apart and not being able to put it back together again Hopefully someone will do a step by step pictorial guide on how to take it apart, then I'll probably attempt it...

Quote:
The pressure was the same to put it in, but i guess this can vary from bush to bush. A alternative could be to take the whole hub to a workshop that has a press, and have them to do the press job?
Yes was thinking that, it's just getting the carrier hub on without too much trouble. If only it was relatively easy to have a press fit somehow with the carrier hub in situ, after simply removing the lower wishbone...

Quote:
Anyway there are some tools required that can stand out from the standard home garage selection:

- Inverted torx socket to remove the bolt on the upper control-arm and the bolt that runs trough hub carrier bush.
- Torx pipe to remove the brake caliper and brake disc.
- Balljoint tool to release the tie rod end.
- 36mm socket for the driveshaft
Thanks for the info'

Last edited by tecas; 27-09-13 at 12:22 AM.
Old 27-09-13, 08:29 AM   #6
Inactive User

the inverted torx are called E bits, just for info
407XJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-09-13, 08:59 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407XJR View Post
the inverted torx are called E bits, just for info
Noted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in