First Drive... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-13, 07:57 PM   #1

Default First Drive...

So I took my car down to the bodyshop who'll be doing the lions share of the work repairing the 407sw and it was the first time I'd driven it - must say, generally speaking that it was a very pleasant experience overall.

It did seem a little noisier than I expected, but then I was driving with no front bumper fitted which I imagine will put a little dent in the aerodynamics heh - bit extra wind noise!!!

So I have a couple minor questions after the drive so here goes....

1. The handbrake. I noticed every time I put the handbrake on or off I rubbed the hell out of my knuckles on the passenger seat - is it supposed to be that far over or do I need to make an "adjustment" (big hammer, and bend it over)? EDIT: Apparently this is a left-over from the conversion from a left hand drive - they just haven't moved it so I guess it's normal - might have to look into a careful bend or something heh...

2. Drivers mirror - it wobbles - I know this isn't a design thing but I wondered if this had happened to anyone else - I REALLY hope it can be tightened up as it's all electric with power fold which makes it nearly a 200 part to replace (probably more from the dealer)

3. Clutch - how high is the clutch "normally" - it seems I barely have to touch it and it's already doing it's thing - I've always been one of those guys who rests his left foot on the clutch while driving but it seems like it'll be too sensitive for that.

4. Brake - seems really soft - quite a bit of travel before any real effect but it does then seem to become effective quickly. Again, is this "normal" or do I have to go messing with fluids/disks/pads?

I've always driven fairly mechanical cars in the past and this one seems to have power assisted every-bloody-thing heh so I know it'll take a little getting used to...

Last edited by BigSlavey; 26-03-13 at 08:02 PM.
BigSlavey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-03-13, 08:01 PM   #2

Clutch on mine is a little bit like that, just assumed it was normal.
The brakes on mine were like that but changing the discs and pads sorted it.
Handbrake sounds like it might need a 'gentle adjustment' though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 26-03-13, 09:10 PM   #3
COLINELLIS

OK Mr Slavey

1. Yep if you have big hands you will scrape you knuckles as the handbrake is biased to the LHD

2. Both my mirrors wobble a bit when driving. I keep meaning to take it apart and attempt to fix them but never get time ( Wife & Kids ) I have noticed that they are on ebay for around 60

3. My clutch is very high also but that seems to be the norm

4. Again my brakes are a bit spongy I want to change the Brake Fluid but i'm a little bit scared to do this as Ill need to send the wife out shopping with the girls so I have a day free and she knows the Pin to my Cards

5. Why do I feel like a Yes man? as i'm agreeing with everything you say

If you get the mirrors dismantled before me and there is something we can do to fix it post some Pics etc as Ill do the same when I eventually get around to doing mine
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-03-13, 09:16 PM   #4

My brakes take a good jab, My dads car though his brakes are great.
I might do the discs and pads on mine once I've got the miss fire sorted!
It's still perilously close to becoming a Mondeo, Insignia or something else. Next Wednesday at the local Pug dealer is do or die day, it gets sorted or it'll be getting chopped in pronto.

Last edited by xlineiain; 26-03-13 at 09:19 PM.
xlineiain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-03-13, 09:19 PM   #5
COLINELLIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlineiain View Post
I might do the discs and pads on mine once I've got the miss fire sorted!
It's still perilously close to becoming a Mondeo, Insignia or something else. .

Can a Misfire do that?
reliable406 likes this.
Old 26-03-13, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLINELLIS View Post
Can a Misfire do that?
It can, when the misfire becomes irritating enough
Old 26-03-13, 10:27 PM   #7

It's kinda odd really - every day I drive a selection of cars ranging from the brand new Caddy 2.0 Tdi C20 to top of the range Range Rovers, Ford Ka's, Passats, literally right across the board, old, new, etc but I never really pay attention to HOW they drive because I know I'll be out of the car within 10 mins so *shrug*. Tonight just paying attention to the 407 made me realise how big a step it is technologically - last car was a 306 1.9D, and a car before that was a 106 1.5D - both pretty physical things to drive - you really feel everything thru the controls - now I have this big vague wooley thing heh (well in comparison)

I'll get used to it I spose (I have to - 3 year bank loan to pay for the damned thing!)
Old 27-03-13, 07:31 AM   #8

Regarding the brakes, can you check if they will bite sooner if you first give them a very small and quick touch, let go and apply force again?

Mine do this, and I don't understand why. My dad's 407 seem to have a bit firmer and more "responsive" brake pedal feeling. I've tried bleeding them several times, including activating the bleeding of the ABS pump, but to no luck, pedal feeling is still the same, and pedal will take further out if I give it a quick touch before I brake properly.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-03-13, 08:19 AM   #9
Inactive User

my drivers side mirror wobbles like that, a little irritating but I put up with it

same with the clutch and the brakes here too so I'm guessing it's normal - tbh it felt horrible getting back into the 407 after having a brand new Astra as a courtesy car a while back, the Astra was a lot more responsive with the brakes, clutch and steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ack__Mi16 View Post
Regarding the brakes, can you check if they will bite sooner if you first give them a very small and quick touch, let go and apply force again?

Mine do this, and I don't understand why. My dad's 407 seem to have a bit firmer and more "responsive" brake pedal feeling. I've tried bleeding them several times, including activating the bleeding of the ABS pump, but to no luck, pedal feeling is still the same, and pedal will take further out if I give it a quick touch before I brake properly.
yeah I've noticed that too about the harder bite if you tap it twice
Old 27-03-13, 08:19 AM   #10
davidireland

What brand pads have you fitted?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in