FAP Additive Level too low - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jmkent
  • 1 Post By bettyswollocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-11, 06:17 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default FAP Additive Level too low

Hi,
I just bought a 2005 407 HDI Executive Auto from a private seller. The car has done 107K miles and drives and looks good. Whenever I start the Car I get a message FAP Additive level too low and it stays on multi function display for about half a minute. This message doesn't come back again as long as I continue driving.

I went to the Peugeot dealer and got diagnostics done. The dealer came with recommendation to do:
a) Refill Eloys Fluid and replace CAP Sensor - cost about 460
b) In case the warning light comes back on again then replace the DPF - cost around 830.
c) A few other smaller improvements but the total bill reachign close to 1800.

I just spent 3850 on this and faced with this dilemma what to do. I have tried to serach net for similar problem but I haven't been able to find many like this. I understand that Peugeot only have this fluid and can do this job but does this mean I need to replace DPF etc. Any advice in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
PEUGEOT407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-07-11, 06:27 PM   #2
jmkent

Not sure where you are, but see my post in this thread https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-please-16311/

Your dealer is another that is taking the Michael.... find another garage is my advice!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-07-11, 06:33 PM   #3
Inactive User

I am in Harrow, UK area - I have been two Peugeot Dealers and they all seem to be indicating similar solution though the price varies a little bit.

I also checked with other garages - they don't seem to have the fluid and some haven't even heard of it.

DE-FAP - is this something worth trying but where?

Old 26-07-11, 06:38 PM   #4
jmkent

I believe they are correct that the fluid can only be bought from Peugeot, but many other mechanics, and DIY-ers, have topped up the tank. Then you just need someone with Planet to connect in and reset the counters, and you're done - fault gone.

This additive normally lasts approx 80k miles, so if yours has done 107k then you've done rather well. The cap sensor will be needed, assuming its not working, to prevent the DPF from blocking as a faulty cap sensor will fail to put any additive into the diesel.

DE-FAP is a bit more to it, and needs to be treated with caution. This will require physical removal of the DPF, and then a re-configuration of the ECU program to tell the car the DPF doesn't exist. You will need to clear all existing faults first though.
PEUGEOT407 likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-07-11, 06:42 PM   #5

But some Eloys of ebay , stick it in , then check Diagnostic owners in my map below to reset counters , all in less than 100.
PEUGEOT407 likes this.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26-07-11, 06:49 PM   #6
Inactive User

Thanks both - here is what I understood:
a) buy eloys from e-bay
b) find the nearest person with diagnostic software to reset the counters
c) if cap sensor is faulty (it seems per Peugeot report) then replace it - presumably it can be done local garage?

Another question is about DPF itself - does this ever need changing as Peugeot guys are aksing me to replace it. I am not able to find a solution to this as they say Peugeot recommends to replace this after 80K miles, thoughts?
Old 26-07-11, 06:55 PM   #7
Inactive User

Sounds like you need to get a new dealer as they are clearly trying to rip you off.

Not having a go but i never understand why people take five year old cars to the dealer anyway who are obviously gonna charge a fortune as thats what they do. My advice is find a Pug indy who would probably do it for half the cost.
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-11, 07:37 AM   #8
Inactive User

Hi,
I finally managed to get this warning disappear by Peugeot dealer. I went to Edgware Robin & Day to discuss this and luckily managed to see the service engineer after he suggested not to fill the additive but change the filler neck sensor. The service coordinator quoted 206 for the Addititive but when the technician saw that the additive was still available little less than half the tank; he suggested that the problem was somewhere else.

I am glad that I went ahead with his advice and with overall cost of 126 the error disappeared. Needless to say that that labour cost in above amount is significant but I don't mind as it was Peugeot and I also got an idea what else might needs doing. The engineer was very kind, friendly and didn't just want to make money. Obviously this was the case in other two peugeot dealers who were giving me big estimates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in