Failed emissions test. Any tips? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-19, 04:32 AM   #1

Default Failed emissions test. Any tips?

So I failed the NCT a few days ago on a bunch of stull (F*&kers hit me really hard this year for some reason), but it's mostly small stuff that I can fix easily enough.

I'm at a bit of a loss with the emissions though. I mean, if I do some stuff, engine cleaner or whatever, I still don't know if it will have improved the emissions enough to pass.

The fail limit for emissions is 3.00 /m and mine was 6.90 /m. My engine oil temp was 83c, the engine was nice and warm. No mad visible smoke coming out of it or anything.

My EGR is blanked off, so I'll probably take it out, unblank it, and give it a good clean anyway. But does anyone have any other tips, things to look out for, things to check, etc?
Is there anything in Peugeot planet that will give me an indication of what the problem is, and what levels and limits to check? eg airflow, injector levels, etc?
Advertisement

Old 01-07-19, 09:51 AM   #2

When you say emissions, are you talking about the smoke density? If so, you might have a partially cracked DPF. I had a partially cracked DPF, no lights or codes etc, it would still even regenerate but a chunk of the monolith had broken away.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-19, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
When you say emissions, are you talking about the smoke density? If so, you might have a partially cracked DPF. I had a partially cracked DPF, no lights or codes etc, it would still even regenerate but a chunk of the monolith had broken away.
Yea, I think so, it sakd "smoke" on the fault anyway.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I've had the dpf and the egr turned off since I got the car, but I reflashed the original ecu again yesterday, and I'll remove the blanking plate from the egr there in a while.

I passed the emissions test, no problem, for the last few years so something has obviously changed this year. It does get quite smoky when I rev it up to 3,000-3,500 rpm though.

Since I've had the dpf turned off, I've been pretty much ignoring it, and everything to do with it, so it might be worth the while investigating it!

They really did try to screw me this year in the NCT though, rear seatbelt not visible, bottom of the bumper not secured (I don't even know if it's meant to be secured), wiper blades leaving a smudge on the window, and a few more stupid things!

Old 01-07-19, 10:59 AM   #4

Its most likely not enough air getting in i doubt the EGR blank being removed will help in all honesty might make it worse.

I would concentrate on getting as much air in as possible as the test is measuring the overall opacity or in other words how thick the smoke is more air = less smoke.

unblanking the EGR could just add more smoke into intake !

Air filter make sure turbo is boosting properly no boost leaks etc check airflow readings
Old 01-07-19, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Its most likely not enough air getting in i doubt the EGR blank being removed will help in all honesty might make it worse.

I would concentrate on getting as much air in as possible as the test is measuring the overall opacity or in other words how thick the smoke is more air = less smoke.

unblanking the EGR could just add more smoke into intake !

Air filter make sure turbo is boosting properly no boost leaks etc check airflow readings
I just unblocked the EGR a few minutes ago, and funnily enough it seems to be a bit better! Albeit I did have the air filter off when I tested it up the road for a quick spin.
I took a few quick readings, just to make sure the EGR was actually working again, and it seems to be fine, but my boost readings seem to be quite low compared to the reference. Whether it's a sensor fault, or a vacuum leak, I'm not sure.

It seems that my turbo pressure readings sometimes go below atmospheric pressure too (weird?) when they should be going up. Almost as if the pressure is getting sucked backwards for a second. Not sure if that makes sense.

I might have a look at the tube going to the solenoid when I get a chance, and maybe see if I can figure out if the solenoid itself is leaking.

Old 01-07-19, 09:42 PM   #6

So I finally got my ass in gear and checked the vacuum pipe and found a crack in it. Fixed it and put it back on, and the car wouldn't start.
It was weird, it was barely turning over, but after a few seconds it seemed to speed up. I knew my ac bearing was a bit noisy recently, so I took off the belt and it started fine. Obviously with no power steering or alternator.

So I took off the ac clutch and there was bearings, and shit, all over the place. Took off the pulley and saw that the electromagnet cover was all busted up! FFS, it's one bloody thing after another with this car! But it's my own fault for not fixing the ac bearing sooner, even though I have one in the post since friday! You'd think it would have lasted another day or two for me like.

So, just now, I picked up a secondhand compressor on eBay for 11, which was pretty sweet. I might just swap over the parts on it, without removing the old one and having to refill the ac, not sure yet.

I swear I'll be a qualified mechanic if I hold on to this car much longer.
Old 01-07-19, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe50000 View Post
So I took off the ac clutch and there was bearings, and shit, all over the place. Took off the pulley and saw that the electromagnet cover was all busted up! FFS, it's one bloody thing after another with this car! But it's my own fault for not fixing the ac bearing sooner, even though I have one in the post since friday! You'd think it would have lasted another day or two for me like.

This could be it, a partially seized AC clutch would cause unnecessary drag and increased fuel consumption - leading to higher emissions.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-19, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
This could be it, a partially seized AC clutch would cause unnecessary drag and increased fuel consumption - leading to higher emissions.
Ah yes. I didn't even consider that! Doh.

But yea, by the state of the bearings, and all the crap inside the clutch, it must have been bad for a while. Maybe the vacuum leak in the turbo didn't help either, as reliable406 mentioned above.
I only ran the car briefly, with the belt off and the vacuum leak fixed, just to get it back up the driveway, but it did seem to be quite a bit better.
I've got a new intake manifold on the way too, as the old one is cracked around the back, so that's probably leaking a bit of air too!

It'll be flying it in a week or two!
And then something else will probably break..
Old 24-07-19, 04:50 PM   #9

So, I passed the emissions in the NCT today with flying colours.
In the initial test it was 6.90 /m
Fail is over 3.00 /m
Today mine was 0.88 /m

Things that may have contributed to the lower emissions, that I changed, were:
  • Replaced the aircon bearing.
  • Fixed a turbo vacuum leak.
  • Car was in limp mode when I brought it in for the retest.

I really didn't think it would even pass the NCT in limp mode, I have a "risk of filter blocking" warning on the dash, most likely related to the DPF, which I think the previous owner either turned off and/or drilled out. But there was no actual "check engine light" on the dash.
The NCT usually fail you for any check engine lights, but they seem to ignore other warnings. They're a weird bunch; last time, one of my fails was because the rear seat belt was "not visible" as it was partly snagged behind the rear seat!

I've had a check engine light on the dash for the last few months, relating to the EGR/DPF so I wasn't even going to bother going for the NCT today, but then this morning it mysteriously disappeared, so I decided to take a chance with the test.

I think the light disappeared because I used PP2000 this morning to clear the errors. I have two hard drives for my laptop and I swap between them, one with PP2000 on Windows XP, and the other with Diagbox on Windows 10. I think that maybe Diagbox is a bit weird with clearing errors, and for some reason Peugeot Planet is better at it.

I just thought I'd leave this final bit of info on this thread in case it helps anybody in the future..
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in