Exhaust Leak around Turbo - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-04-13, 10:30 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Exhaust Leak around Turbo

Hi all,

I thought the exhaust clamp was the cause of an exhaust leak next to the turbo heading to the DPF on my 407 1.6HDI so got a new clamp installed. Unfortunately the leak is still there with a load of soot between the heat sheild and clamp area and also on the turbo itself. I see a load of sooty exhaust come up from the opening of the heatshield at the front of the engine to the point where it is entering the cabin when fresh air vent is on. The guy that fitted the clamp seems to think that the turbo is at fault.

What I would like to know is whether it's likely for a turbo to go by leaking exhaust fumes between it's constituent parts, or is it more to be simply a seal issue on the turbo? The turbo itself works fine with very little lag on acceleration. The car has done 167K miles.

Thanks.
tecas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-04-13, 10:35 PM   #2
davidireland

Its leaking because whoever removed the particle filter previous didn't it correctly. The particle filter lower mounting nuts are to be loosened off to tighten the top clamp up correctly. Now whoever fitted the new clamp fitted it incorectly again because of laziness.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-04-13, 10:41 PM   #3
Inactive User

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Its leaking because whoever removed the particle filter previous didn't it correctly. The particle filter lower mounting nuts are to be loosened off to tighten the top clamp up correctly.
The lower mounting bolt is attached to a large clamp that wraps around the DPF, is this the one you mean? It doesn't look like that was touched when fitting the small clamp up at the top (from turbo to DPF pipe).

I can see some white residue around the clamp that was fitted, is this like a mastic sealant that is fitted as a matter of course when a clamp is installed?

Thanks.

Old 19-04-13, 10:45 PM   #4
davidireland

Nope the mounting bolts are at each side of the particle filter about half way up it. There are two 13mm nuts holding it to the block.

Old 19-04-13, 10:48 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Nope the mounting bolts are at each side of the particle filter about half way up it. There are two 13mm nuts holding it to the block.
Oh OK, don't recall seeing them, will need to have another check. I need someone like you in the North West of England!

Thanks.
Old 19-04-13, 10:51 PM   #6
davidireland

Sure you have come away with a few answers anyway. It'll work out fine loosening off the two nuts.

Old 19-04-13, 11:07 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Sure you have come away with a few answers anyway. It'll work out fine loosening off the two nuts.
I sure have. Going to check that clamp again soon, after loosening those 2 13mm nuts halfway up the DPF. Just don't recall seeing them last time.. I have to get to the bottom of this. I guess it doesn't help with the EGR Valve not working either (according to planet).
Old 20-04-13, 09:18 AM   #8
davidireland

What was the fault for the egr valve?

Old 20-04-13, 10:03 AM   #9
Inactive User

Is was something like 'EGR stuck open - actual value not same as reference value'.

Had a go at trying to remove the EGR valve yesterday down at the back of the engine. Ended up stripping the torx screw on the valve itself, light was fading so gave up for the day. Looks like I chose the wrong screw anyway but couldn't see the bolts that hold it to the engine it's that restricted. Will try again next week...

Old 20-04-13, 01:17 PM   #10
davidireland

You'll remove it about five minutes with an 8mm ratchet spanner. There are two studs holding it to the head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in