ESP/ASR Fault **SOLVED** - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nickspug407

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-16, 07:02 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default ESP/ASR Fault **SOLVED**

Hi,

I'm Nick im new to the Peugeot forum. I just thought I'd share with you a fault that I had on my Peugeot 407 shortly after buying it last month.

Intermittently when I broke a warning would come on the dash saying ESP/ASR fault along with a triangle on the instrument panel with a swerving car with a cross through it.

Quite an annoying fault as it was happening more and more often. I gathered it was a fault with one or several of the ABS sensors as that is what most if not all the searches come up with on Google. This fault arising also meant I could not use cruise control because of a speed control fault or something like that.

One of my friends at the weekend followed me as we were on a trip out. When we arrived he said my brake lights weren't always coming on and when they did they were flashing. So I went down to euro car parts and for 19 picked up a brake light sensor which is oddly fitted on the passenger side of the car. I put it on and hey presto TOUCH WOOD!!! all faults have now gone. So PLEASE guys if you have this issue try the brake light switch/ sensor first as this is a vastly cheaper repair than replacing ABS sensors which potentially are not the cause of the issue.

Thanks
neecola likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-16, 07:21 AM   #2

Welcome aboard. We'd normally recommend a Planet diagnostic, which would bring up the fault code for a faulty brake switch.

The same problem also plagues the Citroen C4:

FAQ : 205 : C4 Brake Switch causing ESP/ABS fault or Speed limit error message, Switch replacement guide. - C4 - DS4 Owners

A faulty switch can also bring up a cruise control fault, as it did on my 307 and 407.

Its interesting how parts you wouldn't think interconnect would cause a fault, but this is why we always stress a diagnostic check.
Old 03-03-16, 01:52 PM   #3
Inactive User

I had the same problem but this happened after I had an aftermarket egr value replaced. The garage had to replace it for a genuine part, and the fault never returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickspug407 View Post
Hi,

I'm Nick im new to the Peugeot forum. I just thought I'd share with you a fault that I had on my Peugeot 407 shortly after buying it last month.

Intermittently when I broke a warning would come on the dash saying ESP/ASR fault along with a triangle on the instrument panel with a swerving car with a cross through it.

Quite an annoying fault as it was happening more and more often. I gathered it was a fault with one or several of the ABS sensors as that is what most if not all the searches come up with on Google. This fault arising also meant I could not use cruise control because of a speed control fault or something like that.

One of my friends at the weekend followed me as we were on a trip out. When we arrived he said my brake lights weren't always coming on and when they did they were flashing. So I went down to euro car parts and for 19 picked up a brake light sensor which is oddly fitted on the passenger side of the car. I put it on and hey presto TOUCH WOOD!!! all faults have now gone. So PLEASE guys if you have this issue try the brake light switch/ sensor first as this is a vastly cheaper repair than replacing ABS sensors which potentially are not the cause of the issue.

Thanks
pantsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in