Peugeot Forums banner

Driveshaft question

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  battlestar 
#1 ·
Just had a steering rod end replaced and was told that the driveshaft on the drivers side is getting worn and would need replacing soonish. There's a bit of steering wheel wobble when I put the boot down si I was expecting something like this.

Does anyone know how much this part should cost (approx) and if it's a big job to replace? Has anyone had it done recently?

My mechanic is reasonable so I'm expecting the parts to be the big spend.
Also, is it advisable to get a breakers/refurb one or to get a new one?

#3 ·
I got mine from breakers for 150 Eur. You might save few bucks if possibe by reusing the cv joint.

If its the inner side joint on drivershaft closer to the gearbox getting overly worn, its worth checking the left engine carrier, or what you call it. It's the aluminium/rubber part where engine is connected to chassis on its left side. Under the fusebox. Sometimes that rubbery part becomes weak or breaks and engine tilts a bit in that direction causing larger strain on gearshaft on same side. :)

#4 ·
Is there any other Pug or citron model that uses the same drive? I can find a few drives for the 2.0 L model for decent money.
It's the wheel side thats knackered.
I got a quote of 260 euro for a new one from Topparts.

#5 ·
If its the wheel side thats knackered, then thats just the CV joint, no?? :confused:

I have my old one in garage, would even give it to you, but postage would be more than its worth lol. You can find the repair kits on ebay and cheap! If thats what it really is. Im not completely sure, but its probable that you could get it from Citroen C5, they share lots of parts, but check first to make sure it is that way really.

PEUGEOT 407 1.6 TURBO DIESEL HDi CV JOINT & BOOT KIT (BRAND NEW) 04>ONWARDS | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.