DPF Common issues??? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By rwb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-16, 08:31 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default DPF Common issues???

Sorry if this has been posted before but I cant seem to find an answer to my issue. I have a 2008 2.0 Hdi (136), the ? I have is what are the common issues if you have a partially blocked DPF, and if the car ever goes into regen mode what would I experience whilst driving, do you get any sort of warning/code/flashing lights, cheers.
Mrmojorisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-02-16, 09:03 AM   #2
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

There is a tank of additive.
Every time you remove the fuel cap the fuel tank is dosed with a fixed amount of additive.
The computer calculates the amount of additive remaining (there is no level sensor) and when it's run out you get a warning message.

The additive builds up in the particle filter where it acts as a catalyst to reduce the temperature at which the soot can be burned to 'only' 400 degrees.

The computer calculates the amount of sood accumulated in the particle filter, and when it reaches a certain threshold triggers a regen.

During a regen the exhaust temperature must be raised to over 400 degrees. This does not happen during normal operation; it is not true that the soot naturally burns off during motorway driving.

To increase the exhaust temperature the car chanages the injection timing and places additional load on the engine by activating the glow plugs and the heated rear screen.

When the heated rear screen is on so are the heated mirrors. If you put an LED across the mirror heating terminals then you effectively create a warning lamp for when a regen is in progress.

During a regen you will notice the engine note change to become more raspy, the car will feel down on power, and the fuel efficiency will plummet.

The regen does not burn off the additive that is in the filter, therefore over time the filter becomes blocked with additive. This is also calculated by the computer.

The differential pressure sensor across the particle filter is there to detect puncture rather than blockage, and acts only as an emergency override to the computer's calculations.

You can measure in PP2k the amount of additive remaining and the amount of additive in the particle filter. Becuase I run the tank empty then fill it full I am using the least possible amount of additive, and I have enough left for 200 fills which should cover about 120k miles. I have 94g in my filter and I've seen a 607 at 136g without problem, but I do not know what the limit is (plus, different cars have different size filters which presumably have different thresholds).
Gibbo, neecola and TWRC like this.
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-18, 10:48 PM   #3

That's the most comprehensive and useful description of the topic I have so far seen 😎
Ian432 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in