Does the trip computer get better? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-18, 01:07 AM   #1

Default Does the trip computer get better?

I bought my 407 two weeks ago, I ran it a few days not thinking about the fuel economy until I filled up out of my own pocket.

55L of Mobils finest diesel went in, trip computer said 520km to empty. I thought that was odd, based on my recent driving that was fairly economical being mainly rural. In contrast my Passat 3.2 would register 700kms odd after a fill up. It never got that mind you, more like 500-550 depending on how close I wanted to take it.

But the Pug did actually go up to 560kms after 60kms of driving, and seemed slow to drop, which was great, it was looking like the fuel economy was going to be better than the passat after all, phew.

Maybe not, it seems to be dropping rapidly now, currently at 190kms to empty, with only 420kms being driven so far, and allowing for some fuel left in the tank, even if I get another 100kms, that is only 520kms, so the computer is actually accurage, hmm, so perhaps its not the computer that is wrong, the car is not as fuel efficient as I'd hoped.

Bugger, I wrote with the intention of learning about the trip computer only to conclude my car is thirsty. I can only assume something is wrong, I better check the basics this weekend to make sure its not being starved of fuel or a vacuum leak or something.
boflit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-18, 09:20 AM   #2

That sounds about right to me.
The tank on a 407 holds 67 litres.
If you run the car until the miles to empty stops registering (it will go to a series of dashes) then refill the tank you will only get 60 litres in.
There is an inbuilt safety margin.
This means your miles to empty is actually calculated on 60 litres not a full tank.
It's highly dependent on the type of driving.
Cruising long distance I can get over 800mls on a tank full but around 600mls pottering about.
(2.0 HDi)

Last edited by ashdav; 06-12-18 at 09:25 AM.
ashdav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-18, 06:25 PM   #3

Yeah, I realized as I posted it that the computer is probably pretty accurate, the concern now is more that my 2.7hdi is less economical than my 3.2 petrol, which negates the point of buying the 407.

Tho I did suspect I might have sticking vanes, as I don't get any noticeable boost below 2000rpm, it all comes in around 2400. I'll have a poke around the vacuum lines and air box this weekend.

Old 07-12-18, 07:01 PM   #4
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

I find that the computer consistently under-reads by about 4mpg compared to brim-to-brim calculation.

I would say that the computer seems to estimate on the low side after refilling. Mine would estimate in the 800s miles after filling up having done over 1000 miles.

For me the fuel light usually comes on when the computer says about 100 miles remaining. I normally get to the petrol station within about 30 miles of this and put in about 62 litres.
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-18, 07:02 PM   #5
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Stats: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/605277.html
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-18, 09:39 PM   #6

You have literally given us NO information whatsoever and even worse, just confused your ownself.

It doesn't matter that your pissrat said it has 500 miles in the tank.... it depends on what the car thinks a tank of fuel constitutes as. The same goes for the 407.

Then add in the fact that both cars have different sized fuel tanks. It would be like me saying my Kia Picanto is bad on fuel because it only gets 250 miles to a tank Except a kia picanto only holds 30 litres of fuel.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-01-19, 10:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
You have literally given us NO information whatsoever and even worse, just confused your ownself.

It doesn't matter that your pissrat said it has 500 miles in the tank.... it depends on what the car thinks a tank of fuel constitutes as. The same goes for the 407.

Then add in the fact that both cars have different sized fuel tanks. It would be like me saying my Kia Picanto is bad on fuel because it only gets 250 miles to a tank Except a kia picanto only holds 30 litres of fuel.
thats not strictly true. The Passat has a 70litre tank, the Pug 67, so the 3 litres difference was negligible. My point was that I would expect a diesel to be calculating a much higher DTE, especially when the trip computer was sitting at 9l/100km anyway, and the passat, which couldn't do math, was also at just over 9l/100km with a more accurate consumption of 11.2l/100km.

However, now I know the Pug calculates it on 60l and not 67 that makes sense, and it turns out is more accurate anyway. My computer reads about 9.2-9.5 per tank, but actual calculations say it is consistently 9.8l/100km. The Passat however was consistently 11.2, +/- a point or two, so having a computer that is only a few points vs 2l/100km, is very good.

Its still about 1l/100km more than I had hoped before I bought her, but my commute is very hilly and my foot made of lead.
Old 10-02-19, 04:47 PM   #8

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boflit View Post
I bought my 407 two weeks ago, I ran it a few days not thinking about the fuel economy until I filled up out of my own pocket.

55L of Mobils finest diesel went in, trip computer said 520km to empty. I thought that was odd, based on my recent driving that was fairly economical being mainly rural. In contrast my Passat 3.2 would register 700kms odd after a fill up. It never got that mind you, more like 500-550 depending on how close I wanted to take it.

But the Pug did actually go up to 560kms after 60kms of driving, and seemed slow to drop, which was great, it was looking like the fuel economy was going to be better than the passat after all, phew.

Maybe not, it seems to be dropping rapidly now, currently at 190kms to empty, with only 420kms being driven so far, and allowing for some fuel left in the tank, even if I get another 100kms, that is only 520kms, so the computer is actually accurage, hmm, so perhaps its not the computer that is wrong, the car is not as fuel efficient as I'd hoped.

Bugger, I wrote with the intention of learning about the trip computer only to conclude my car is thirsty. I can only assume something is wrong, I better check the basics this weekend to make sure its not being starved of fuel or a vacuum leak or something.
As far as my knowledge, trip computer forecasts mileage to empty based on last trip. You have two counters and which ever you reset before filling may take in to account. If you could drive the car as to show 12.5 Kmpl or above you will gain around 800Km of mileage of forecast in next filling.
You can just check this by resetting your trip computer before about 20 - 30 Km before filling and drive to filling station carefully. ( carefully means drive without rapid acceleration and maintain constant speed as far as possible) Hope you may got 14-16 Kmpl.

Then fill the tank and Let us know what happened.
ipubudu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in