Different Tyre sizes on my 407 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-10, 09:47 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Different Tyre sizes on my 407

Hi all. I have just bought a 407 on ebay, knowing in advance it was needing new tyres. I was looking at the tyres this morning and realised tat here is a different size of tyre on the front and the rear.

Rear tyres are 215/55 R17 Rear Front tyres are 215/50 R17.

I am looking for advice about this before I order the tyres (I am going to use BlackCircles for local fitting). Should I kee the car like this, ordering the 2 different sizes? Or is this a mistake? And, if so, which one is the CORRECT size (I can't find anything about this mentioned in the manual.)??

The car is a 407 2.2 SE 4d.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Stuart
skyegospel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-10, 10:52 PM   #2
chopper1192

It should have 215/55 17s all round. Some people fit 50's cos they're cheaper, but it ruins the ride and makes the grip a little unpredictable on the limit.

It's a sign of a car maintained on a shoestring, when a complex car like this needs top notch care to stay in trim. It doesn't bode well for a car that's been loved and cherished I'm afraid.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-10, 08:32 AM   #3
Inactive User

Default THanks...

Thanks for your help Chopper - Doesn't sound so good. I actually know the guy I bought it off but the tyres hadn't been changed in his time. I am loving the car (only had it 3 days) but had one wee concern last night... I floored it in second going up a very steep wee hill and it lost power for a while. Was fine in other gears but same thing happened again in 2nd a wee while later. Any thoughts (hopefully to put my mind at ease )?

Thanks again Chopper

Stuart

Old 12-08-10, 10:00 AM   #4
chopper1192

What engine, mileage and service history does it have my friend?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-08-10, 10:21 PM   #5
Inactive User

Sorry for not getting back to you - have been out of contact with computers. It is the 2.2 petrol with 68000 miles on the clock (55 reg). There is some service history but not all there. Also, cylinder head went on last owner as he drove it home. The seller went halfers on repair costs which were 1000 (I have the receipts) and also an injector was replaced.

One (probably daft) question I have about the 407 - There is a noise when I remove the key or go back to the car after being away a while... almost as if, like on a Citroen C5, there is some automatic raising or lowering of the suspension when the car is stopped. Nothing is moving that I can see. What is this noise about??

Thanks again,

Stuart
Old 21-08-10, 07:23 PM   #6
Inactive User

Send a message via ICQ to Newspaperman Send a message via MSN to Newspaperman

I can concur with Chopper on this 215/55/17's Ive just replaced all 4 tyres on my 407. The fronts were running on 215/45/17's the rear were 215/55/17's as they should be. My 407 still had all 4 pressure valves and they still worked however the nearside front the outer stem of the valve had corroded and chipped away thus meaning i could not top up any air thought i would leave it till i changed that tyre. However when the tyre shop started changing the 2tyres I was buying they called me over when he started to remove the inner brass valve the outer had seized to it and it sheared the outer stem. I called it a day on the remote pressure valves all tyres off and new standard rubber valves were fitted. Ive just come back from Peugeot who have disabled my monitoring system using Planet Software. At least I have no worries there now. I believe if you have the remote sensing valves you MUST lubricate the outer stem of the valve. Due to the material that the valve stem is made of it corrodes quite badly unless lubricated regularly it will cause a problem corroding and breaking away. Hope this helps
ben407 likes this.
Newspaperman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-08-10, 09:16 PM   #7
Inactive User

I am really daft - the loss of power I mentioned turns out to be the ESP kicking in when I was beginning to slide a little!! I just didn't know what ESP did. Reminds me of my first experience of ABS - I was convinced there was a huge problem when the brakes began to stutter!!
Old 21-08-10, 09:18 PM   #8
Inactive User

THanks Andy - that is helpful. I have one sensor gone at the moment so am planning on just having them dissabled. One question though. I guess it costs at least 20 or something like that to have the sensors dissabled by someone with this Parot diagnostics machine? Well, I see them on ebay for around 80 and was wondering if it might be worth buying one and then selling it on again once I'm done? Any thoughts?

THanks again,

Stuart
Old 21-08-10, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegospel
THanks Andy - that is helpful. I have one sensor gone at the moment so am planning on just having them dissabled. One question though. I guess it costs at least 20 or something like that to have the sensors dissabled by someone with this Parot diagnostics machine? Well, I see them on ebay for around 80 and was wondering if it might be worth buying one and then selling it on again once I'm done? Any thoughts?

THanks again,

Stuart
Or buy it and advertise in your local area and make some money off it first.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-08-10, 08:37 AM   #10
Inactive User

Send a message via ICQ to Newspaperman Send a message via MSN to Newspaperman

Buying Planet would be a good idea I actually looked into this and have a copy of the Software not the latest version but Planet all the same. When I look to install onto lappy this was not a problem but the cable you need to interface with car was off the clock. Fleabay wanted in excess of 400 just for the interface lead. I agree with Bettyswollox if you can buy Planet for 80 its worth it if the lead comes supplied and possibly earn a bit on the side to pay for it. We dont have a list on this site of members with Planet that would be good if they did and people could conatct each other to borrow use it for a minimal fee mmm.................. still Im not paying 400 for the lead though.

I can help you on the disabling thing. I went to my local Stealer last week and enquired about having the Tyre system disabled they said it would cost 40 and would take 45 minutes. Fortunately for me 1 of my suppliers at work his son works at Peugeot as a mechanic. He put me in touch with him and I went to the garage last Thursday he disabled it as a foreigner for 20 and it took less than 2 minutes. He also put my car on the Ramps and I found a few things that I had to do to the car to get it through its MOT flaming Balljoints.

Last edited by Newspaperman; 22-08-10 at 08:41 AM.
Newspaperman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in