Diesel Engine misfiring/power loss/stuttering/kangarooing - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-18, 10:25 AM   #1

Default Diesel Engine misfiring/power loss/stuttering/kangarooing

Hi,

I have a 1.6HDi engine. Can anyone shed some light on the possible cause of this problem, please?

Yesterday, whilst travelling on the motorway for about 20 minutes or so my car's engine started what can only be described as misfiring. My car has been off the road for about a month waiting for essential MOT repairs, but when I drove it for the first time afterwards everything was fine. It was only after about 30 miles of motorway driving that this problem began.

It would feel as if the engine was misfiring, but only quite intermittently, but after a while, it began doing it continually, sometimes really badly as if it were losing power. At one point, it lost power completely and I had to stop. I was able to start the engine again a few minutes later, but for a short while, it wouldn't start.

Going up a gradient was a real struggle.

I was driving with my accelerator in the same position and the car was stuttering continuously. Sometimes, I noticed that the rev counter would drop right down to about 1000 for a second then leap back up to 2000-3000.

I tried coasting down a slight gradient and the rev counter dropped to 0 and I felt the engine cut. I put it back into gear and the engine started again.

On occasion, I would get a decent run for about a minute without any symptoms.

I managed to limp home safely and am going to check my breakdown cover to see if it has home start, but in the meantime, I was hoping you guys could help narrow down, or suggest what the cause is.

Thanks.
Nobody Home is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-18, 06:45 PM   #2

This could be a fuel supply or electronic/electric fault. Impossible to narrow it down precisely. You really need to get it scanned using PP2000/Diagbox, concentrating on live readings while cranking. Check cam/crank sync, fuel pressures, injector corrections etc.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-18, 08:59 PM   #3

I've had diagnostics on the car and nothing showing.

The mechanic suggested that it could be the EGR valve that needs cleaning. Is there a guide on how to do this, please?
Nobody Home is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-18, 10:53 AM   #4

You could try either the Terra Clean or fortron injector clean to remove the deposits from the valve, If you chose this method, I would service the car with an engine flush afterwards as some of the detritus could wind up in the turbo, which happened to mine!

I've used the EGR cleaning sprays from Halfords in the past which weren't successful.

Before cleaning the valve I've heard the Wynns EGR cleaner that you add to the fuel will soften the deposits in the air intake, Euro car parts sometimes have the best deal on these.

You could also be looking at replacing the unit, again shop around for the best price
Dr Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in