Dangerous braking issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-13, 08:30 PM   #1

Default Dangerous braking issues

I'm starting to get more than upset by all the problems with this car now.

Changed the brake servo not long ago and managed to get the turbo solenoid working good.

But now, just about 2 weeks later things are happening.

Suddenly when standing still at red light with my foot on the brake pedal, the pedal suddenly comes out, just like the brake servo decided not to help me anymore.

It feels like it has gotten worse lately, and now it is not very much help in it at all. Need to keep revs at 1500-2000rpm to get a bit of assistance.

I thought the problem could be that the new servo didn't have a one way valve, but after fitting the valve from the old servo it was just the same.

Do I really need to change the brake servo again? How the hell can this happen? It's really dangerous to drive now...
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
B1ack__Mi16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-13, 08:52 PM   #2
davidireland

Default Re: Dangerous braking issues

You are describing a problem that actually doesn't happen to the 407. Thats why its a strange one. Is your car 2.0hdi?

Sent from my GT-S5690
  Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-13, 08:56 PM   #3

It is a 2.0 HDi yes. I will try to measure the vacum in the system again next time I'm in the garage, but I really believe that is good, because the turbo works as it is supposed to now.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9

Old 11-02-13, 09:17 PM   #4
davidireland

Pm me your last eight of chassis. I'll check for info on the problem.

Sent from my GT-S5690
Old 12-02-13, 06:09 AM   #5

Good morning

The chassinumber is: VF36DRHRH21041219

It seem to have evolved a bit as it started slowly in the weekend, but now it seem to be more severe. Everytime I come to a stop the pedal goes rock hard, and just pushes my foot out.

When braking I need to "emergency" brake every time, as after 3 secs the amount of servo power is more or less gone.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Old 12-02-13, 07:39 AM   #6
davidireland

Ok theres no recalls or info on your problem relating to your chassis number.
I would however replace the little one way valve on the vacuum pump. The pipe that goes to the servo is going onto it. Its a little aluminium valve that can be screwed off the vac pump.

Sent from my GT-S5690
Old 13-02-13, 12:54 PM   #7

Ok. Well it seem like I'll be putting the old brake servo back onto the car, I guess it's the new servo that is faulty, even though it beeing a brand new ATE item. (same as the old).

It must be something related to the valve on the brake pedal side I think, as it do seem to hold the braking force if I just push the pedal, and keep it at one constant position. As soon as I start to "adjust" the pedal force after the initial push it goes hard and comes out.
205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Old 13-02-13, 08:54 PM   #8

Hooked up the vac. gauge today.

Look what happens to the vacum when the brake pedal is tapped only for a slight amount of time. It just disappears...

I did hook up the old servo too, and blocked the hole where the MC is supposed to be bolted to it. When pushing the actuator rod on that one, the pressure would only fall from 0.9 to 0.75 for small movements, and maybe down to 0.65bar for a short time when I more or less bottomed it out in a very short time.

The new one just seem to be leaking bigtime from somewhere at the pedal-side I guess.

205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Old 14-02-13, 09:49 PM   #9

My brand new brake servo, took it off today...
Well, it's completely full of oil! It seem to be engine oil... and about 1-2 decilitres.

So this must have gotten in there when there was no one-way-valve connected to the servo. The old one had a one way valve built into the nipple, but the new didn't, so I drove quite some time without a valve, but things seemed to work, until it started acting wierd.

I took out the nipple on the vacum pump, it had a small "piston" springloaded with a very soft spring, so seem like the valve there is intact.

But I must say I'm a bit sceptical now, does this mean also the other vacum lines can posssibly get filled with oil under certain circumstances?

205 GTi 2.3/1.9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in