Couple of serious issues in Peugeot 407 2.0HDI 16V, Gearbox AL4 Auto - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-11-16, 04:04 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Couple of serious issues in Peugeot 407 2.0HDI 16V, Gearbox AL4 Auto

Hi all,

First of all, I say hi to all as a new member and an owner of beautiful 407 SW Sport Swiss Pack Fully loaded, year 2005.

I have couple of issues as follows below;

-----------------------
ABS/ESP/STEERING ANGLE SENSOR/SPEED OF ROTATION ISSUES;

1. I had ABS and ESP/ASR fault coming on display always. I hooked up PP2000 and found these codes:

C1135 steering Wheel angle sensor signal
C1388 Steering wheel angle sensor signal
C1330 Front RH wheel speed sensor signal
P0606 Control Unit

Answer: When I've seen the fault sensor, I went and I purchased genuine one from Peugeot dealer and I've installed same day. When I started the vehicle ABS Light went OFF and the ABS was working very good but now its coming again ESP/ASR fault only. I have done as well the new grounding for both tail lights and it's okay there is no issue with ground there.

I connected again to PP2000 and the three codes still there in exception of C1330 Front RH sensor was gone.

Then, I drove 50-100 meters straight and wanted to do a calibration of Steering Angle Sensor but more than 10 times it didn't accept says it failed to proceed calibration. Tried to delete codes still coming up. Checked the brake lights both working working well, tested Cruise Control as well working well (due to brake switch issues I've heard).

Then I connected again PP2000 and went to Steering. I found another code;

U1205 Speed of rotation of the steering wheel information fault

My question to this is: What it can be this issue while ABS now is working and ESP/ASR not. What are the codes found related to? What is the steering fault U1205 is it different with angle sensor? Where to look and how to fix these issues? I am just lost... COM2000 is working properly, no Airbag fault, horn is working, stalks working.

----------------------------

AL4 4 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ISSUES;

My transmission "problem" started about a couple of weeks ago
when my A4 gearshifts started to behave abnormally.

1. In 'D' mode, it shifted late from 2nd to 3rd gear holding the rpms
to over 4000 before it decides to upshift with a slight jerk. I call
it a sticky 2nd gear. This doesn't happen in tiptronic mode. I can
manually shift from 2nd to 3rd at any rpm. Moreover, when I am driving even straight or climbing hills at 60-70 Km/h and keeps the pedal strictly to that position the RPM it moves from 2.5 to 2.9 again back and forth and you can feel the car is moving shaking like you press and depress the gas pedal non-stop and I think this time changing gear non-stop from 3 to 2 then back again 3 to 2 continuously. When I press fully the gas pedal it takes time to switch back to 2 like 3-5 seconds then it doesn't have that power to jump and move faster and it shakes juddering the whole car. In gear 4 it works well.

2. A vibration could be felt on the steering column when
the above happened especially climbing.

3. Sometimes in tiptronic mode, when I manually shift from 2nd to 3rd,
it would immediately drop back to 2nd automatically with a rise in
rpm.

4. Once only it happened, it lost the letter D and showing "-" sign. When I put in tiptronic it showed 2 gear and then went back to normal.

5. Occasionally there will be a slight shudder whenever I coast to
a stop at traffic lights and it's lazy moving at 1st gear until it reaches 2.5-3 Rpms then it kicks in then moves faster but it doesn't smoke at all, starts very well, RPM is stable while staying in traffic lights waiting or in Parking.

I have connected my PP2000 diagnostic (latest version) and it doesn't have any trouble code in Gearbox.

My question; What it can be the issue? I haven't changed the oil yet for 40.000 Kilometers now. I haven't changed any solenoid valve yet. I have ordered ESSO LT71141 oil (4 liters) preparing to change and ordered 2x new solenoid valves 2574.16 but would like to hear from you if this issue it relates to these two oil and valves or it needs whole rebuilding. I've read in one forum the guy had similar issue and he replaced MAP Sensor and everything went back to normal but in PP2000 or DiagBox doesn't show any issue related to Engine, I've measured injectors all are at -98 100 at idle. Particular filter is at 52% still OK.

----------------------------

REMOTE CONTROLS ISSUES (BOTH KEYS);

1. Before, both remotes were working well, unlocking and locking doors.
2. Now, I left a car for a month in a garage because I had to travel to Dubai and then I came back. When I came back, I went in garage and tried to unlock and it DIDN'T. I asked my wife to give me the 2nd remote and that one too didn't respond when I pressed any button.
3. When I put my key in door handle It unlocks, then I started the car and the car started in a second without hesitation.
4. After, I turned OFF and got out of the car then I've tried the remote and it works well, both of them. Strange!
5. After 4 weeks I had again to travel in Europe and left a car for 2 weeks only. I came back and guess what again the same issues happened, both remotes doesn't unlock only after I go in and start the car then both working.

My question: What this issue can be? It is really strange. If I keep using the car everyday, this issue is not happening. When I leave for a period of time, this issue comes back.

----------------------------------

BOTH FRONT FOG LIGHTS NOT WORKING;

My fog lights were working well and one day Right hand Fog Light Bulb was burnt. I replaced and it didn't work. I then took other side one and still didn't. I purchased two brand new ones replaced both and now both not working... even If i bring back the left one to it's place. All are genuine bulbs (around 30 Euro's both H11). Anyway, my rear fog lights are working in exception of front.

I connected PP2000 Diagnostic and went through BSI Menu and these codes;

1. F98F Engine fuse box Front left fog lamp fault
2. F990 Engine fuse box Front right fog lamp fault

My answer; I've tried all fuses and checked all are okay. Where is the relay of Fog Lights? I've checked all connectors in fuse boxes (engine compartment, inside interior and at the back too) all looks perfectly.

Question: Where is this issue related to? How to fix it?

-----------------------------

ENGINE ISSUES:

I've diagnosed and found two codes;

1. P1598 Cooling Circuit bypass valve
2. Pre/Post heating relay circuit. Relay not controlled and spark plugs supplied, permanent

Answer; Measured all glow plugs and found out one is burnt. going to replace but the Cooling circuit bypass valve what it is for? What do I check or change? Is this the sensor to the thermostat housing? or else...

AIR CONDITION ISSUES:

Diagnosed and found this code only;

1. Passenger Compartment humidity sensor, not recognized, permanent.

Answer and question; Everything works fine in Aircon. No issues so far. What it the issue with it?

These are all I found. I know that it took to much to write for me and you to read and I really ask for your apologize first then for your professional help anyone who is good on Pug's and who can sort these out for me. I am living in Eastern Europe, Kosovo and here there are not much France cars and mechanics or authorized workshops to help me. I know about cars and my hobby is electronics, mechanics and computers (graduated in IT) so I am familiar to repair anything but with the help of you of course to source an exact part or place to look for.

Regards,
Kassi
kastroboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-11-16, 07:18 AM   #2

The AL4 gearbox in one of my previous 406's did all sorts of things like you describe. Changing the 2 solenoids and fresh oil sorted it's problems.

Cant help with the rest of your issues as my 407 has been reliable except for a failed tyre pressure sensor and occasionally telling me a foglight bulb has blown but all are working...

Last edited by WillNZ; 24-11-16 at 07:20 AM.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-11-16, 08:12 AM   #3
Inactive User

Thank you for your reply!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 24-11-16, 04:05 PM   #4

Lots of Kosovans were here in N. London working their nuts off on building sites - its a hard life.
Fuse 6 in the engine fuse box supplies the front fog lamps from relay 1. This relay is built in to the engine fuse box, BM 34. Relay coil has a permanent live and is activated from the BSI by a switched earth via the CAN network I think. Sounds more like a wiring problem (earth?) between fuse box and fog lamps.
Wiring diagrams available from Peugeot Service Box for a few euros.
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-11-16, 09:42 AM   #5
Inactive User

Thank you for your help. I think it should be Earth E15 as I've read in some posts. Its somewehere beside headlights.

That's true that some Kosovans living and working there and for sure its tough and a hard life. The economy here is not improved much i mean in economic terms and we have to work abdroad to make life easier.
Old 26-11-16, 03:22 PM   #6
Inactive User

So, no peugeot expert here to help me?
Old 26-11-16, 05:27 PM   #7

According to the wiring diagram the relay for the fog lights is in the engine bay fuse box, relay 05, and lamps are supplied via fuse 13.
Old 26-11-16, 05:43 PM   #8

Regarding your fault P1598, wiring diagram shows a solenoid valve (component 1293) on the water outlet housing. I assume this is the "bypass valve" the fault code refers to. Check the connection to it, clean and retest for fault.

If the engine is getting up to operating temp within a short period of time and staying there, I would think the valve is operating correctly and the fault is possibly intermittent being caused by bad plug connection on the valve ..??
Old 26-11-16, 08:03 PM   #9

Just clear the faults, and make sure your battery is fully charged at all times. You should be good to go. Modern cars do not like to loose power. The fog light issue I dont know, have never heard about it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
barbaren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-11-16, 04:51 PM   #10
Inactive User

Thank you sir!

I think that's the one but I've heard that PUG had changed that thermostat body to modified one and they have eliminated this solenoid valve at all. But I have no idea do we need to code in Diagbox to completely eliminate this valve? As well, I have tried finding to purchase in ebay and other stores this solenoid valve it's impossible to find it. Even I've tried whole thermostat body to find the same and all of them in ebay are without this valve. Strange...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in