Clutch slip - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-11, 11:26 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Clutch slip

407SW 2.0HDi 05 plate 90,000 miles. Strange thing Ive done a couple of long motorway runs recently and set the cruise control. Once or twice, well into the run and when I have switched off the CC, the car has given every indication that the clutch is slipping on acceleration the revs quickly rise faster than the speed. The problem goes away after about mile. I have tried to reproduce this on shorter runs but nothing unusual happens.

Any ideas? Does the CC need resetting and/or is my clutch on the way out?
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-05-11, 06:41 AM   #2
Inactive User

My guess would be after 90,000 miles that the clutch is on its way out. Try accelerating from low speed in a high gear. See what happens. I am guessing the car has a manual gearbox
chrissy_406c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-05-11, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive User

Hi,

Quick way of checking the clutch, pull the handbrake up as far as possible, put in first gear and release the clutch. Car should stall basically immediately. If not, and it gradually die, then you have a clutch problem. (Thats also presuming it is a manual)

Old 24-05-11, 09:39 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy_406c View Post
My guess would be after 90,000 miles that the clutch is on its way out. Try accelerating from low speed in a high gear. See what happens. I am guessing the car has a manual gearbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
Hi,

Quick way of checking the clutch, pull the handbrake up as far as possible, put in first gear and release the clutch. Car should stall basically immediately. If not, and it gradually die, then you have a clutch problem. (Thats also presuming it is a manual)
In both cases, the car stalls. It will accelerate violently in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In 4th 5th and 6th after a run and at speeds over approx 65mph the revs mount.

It may be that the clutch is near the end of it's adjustment and the combination of the huge torque and a good run heats it up and it slips.

I think I'm looking at a new clutch - I'm off to other posts to look at the possibility of converting from Dual Mass Flywheel at the same time.

It's manual - AFAIK automatics don't have clutches.
Old 24-05-11, 10:57 PM   #5
Inactive User

I got told to do this test:

Stop the vehicle, pull away in 1st (good), pull away in 2nd (good), pull away in 3rd (bad) and so on.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 25-05-11, 07:01 AM   #6
Inactive User

PureJoe, all cars have clutches, auto. manual, semi or dsg's. They just operate on a different level. DMF convertion, will that not be mega expensive?
Old 25-05-11, 11:28 PM   #7
Inactive User

You may be right on the clutches in the broad sense of the term; I remember the Volvo S80 auto I had had a sort of viscous drive thing that never goes wrong or wears out.

Don't know about the expense - Someone was commenting that the 307 kit costs around 160 +c. 260 labour (IIRC). Surely there's one for the 407 at a similar price? Or am I being over optimistic?

Is a clutch on a 407 that much more expensive?
Old 26-05-11, 11:04 AM   #8
Inactive User

In South Africa a complete clutch replacement/overhaul will cost you in the region of R7, 000.00. Don't know about England.
Old 26-05-11, 03:47 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
In South Africa a complete clutch replacement/overhaul will cost you in the region of R7, 000.00. Don't know about England.
That's 612, plus the cost of driving to Beitbridge at 42mpg / 6.73l/100k

Thanks, at least it gives me an idea of the price, I suspect it will be about the same here.
Old 26-05-11, 04:28 PM   #10
jmkent

Make sure you're sitting down before opening the attachment.... and I had already got a 20% discount on parts
Attached Thumbnails
img003.jpg  
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in