Clutch/DMF gone! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-10-11, 01:54 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Clutch/DMF gone!

Been having a clutch problem for 20k+ miles where by when i pull off in first gear it judders till the clutch pedal is fully released but ive just lived with it anyway this morning i think its gone completely. The clutch biting point has gone much lower, im getting a burning smell and there is a like a fan belt screaming sound whenever the clutch is depressed though the car is still driving. The cars done 145k now and i have nothing in the history to show its had a clutch or dmf replaced recently.

What does this sound like to you guys?
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-10-11, 04:03 PM   #2

Not sure if the 1.6 has a DMF tbh. someone will be along soon with more knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-10-11, 04:49 PM   #3
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by trem1 View Post
Not sure if the 1.6 has a DMF tbh. someone will be along soon with more knowledge
Pretty sure they do.... think its just the older 90s that didn't

BTW, if the DMF has gone, it will rattle like a bag of bolts.... mine did
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 31-10-11, 04:54 PM   #4
Inactive User

Biting point is almost on the floor now with bad smell of burning so not driving it and just hired a c-max to keep me earning.

The thing is do i sell it as is and add a grand and buy a 2.0 HDi or do i fix it at a cost of 600-1000? Im undecided
Old 31-10-11, 04:55 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasteeno View Post
Been having a clutch problem for 20k+ miles where by when i pull off in first gear it judders till the clutch pedal is fully released but ive just lived with it anyway this morning i think its gone completely. The clutch biting point has gone much lower, im getting a burning smell and there is a like a fan belt screaming sound whenever the clutch is depressed though the car is still driving. The cars done 145k now and i have nothing in the history to show its had a clutch or dmf replaced recently.

What does this sound like to you guys?
It has a dmf and they are supposed to last 100k but mines possibly done 145k so not too bad.
Old 31-10-11, 04:57 PM   #6
jmkent

Depends on what else may be wrong with the car... at 145k miles, you've done well. It isn't going to be worth a great deal at this age and mileage, so if the car other than this drives ok, it may be worthwhile getting it done.... buy parts online cheaply yourself and find someone to fit them
Old 31-10-11, 05:27 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
Depends on what else may be wrong with the car... at 145k miles, you've done well. It isn't going to be worth a great deal at this age and mileage, so if the car other than this drives ok, it may be worthwhile getting it done.... buy parts online cheaply yourself and find someone to fit them
Still 400 for the bits though before any work is done. The thing is once it goes in, it gets fixed, the question is do i put it in or sell as is and buy the 2.0 that i really want for towing my caravan. Im confused
Old 31-10-11, 05:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebasteeno View Post
Still 400 for the bits though before any work is done. The thing is once it goes in, it gets fixed, the question is do i put it in or sell as is and buy the 2.0 that i really want for towing my caravan. Im confused
How much is the car worth with a knackered DMF ??

How much is the car worth with a REPLACED DMF ???

How much will a replacement car cost, which may have issues, knackered DMF that you dont notice,

will you be planning a remap/dpf removal again on a 2.0 ??

Yours is remapped to about the same figures as a 2.0 and if you do replace the DMF you know you should be good for another 100k.

Thats my first questions that need an answer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-10-11, 06:39 PM   #9
Inactive User

And i agree with what your trying to say Trem. My only issue is that i was planning on replacing the car in six months anyway when it will likely have 160k on so im reluctant to plough 800 into a car that would be gone soon and wont be worth much with that mileage on anyway. It'll more than likely get fixed but it seems false economy when i reckon i can get 1500 for it now then add what i would pay for a new dmf and id be in a 2.0 that would pull the van better
Old 31-10-11, 07:36 PM   #10
jmkent

You think its worth 1500 in its present state??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in