Choose the right oil issue, high mileage - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rwb
  • 1 Post By rwb
  • 1 Post By reliable406
  • 1 Post By trem1
  • 1 Post By BiGK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-18, 10:16 PM   #1

Default Choose the right oil issue, high mileage

Hello all,

I have to change the oil of my car these days and I need some help. I know this subject is very controversial, but this caused me to be more confused. So, to begin with some details, my car has approx. 300 K kilometers, most of them traveled on the highways. The engine is a 1.6 HDI, 109 HP version. The climate in my country in a year is 50/50 - a half of the year cold, another half hot (from -20 degrees to 38 degrees).
My previous car owner has used Total Quartz 9000 (5W40), which is mentioned in the service manual as well. Now, the issue is that the car has a particulate filter (DPF). On the official description of the Total 9000, it's specified very clearly that it is not intended for a car with DPF. Most of the people recommends to use Total Ineo ECS (5W30 - viscosity recommended by the manufacturer). I had a look also on a maintenance book (from Haynes) and here the recommended oils are between 5W30 and 10W40 for this car, especially the Total 9000. Do you think it is ok to use a 5W30 at this mileage? Or it is ok to use a thicker oil but which is not destinated for DPF health? A thicker oil could be a problem for the turbo? Please let me know

Last edited by ctele; 15-10-18 at 05:58 AM.
ctele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-10-18, 07:35 PM   #2
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

You must use a low SAPS oil because otherwise ash produced by combustion will block the DPF.

As you say the handbook recommends Total Quartz Ineo ECS which meets specification ACEA C2; any other oil that meets ACEA C2 can be substituted.

I can't see a compelling reason to change the viscosity unless your climate is either very hot or very cold.

The other suggestion I've heard if your oil is very mucky (e.g., it's been having 20k changes) is to use a lorry oil because they have better detergents.
ctele likes this.
rwb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-10-18, 07:39 PM   #3
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

And 300km = 186k miles which is nowt. (Same as my 407 actaully, and that gets only Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5w30. Had been doing it at 6k (10k km) but since I blanked the EGR it's started staying a bit cleaner so I've gone up to 10k (16k km)).

Isn't 1,000km a megametre?
Shaln't be having any of that come next March.
ctele likes this.
rwb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 19-10-18, 07:40 PM   #4

I agree use the correct oil and your engine is easily capable of 600k km !
ctele likes this.
Old 19-10-18, 08:37 PM   #5

Thank you all for the replies. I've considered the 5W-40 just because on the summer days the oil tends to become very thin. I'm thinking that a thin layer of oil in combination with a worn engine could cause more "free" room between the engine components and could cause premature damage. A thicker oil could fill those gaps, but could cause problems to lubricate the cam shafts, turbine and other upper components.
Old 20-10-18, 07:37 AM   #6

We have a 2.2 hdi 407 in our family at 250k miles (400k km) running on standard oil and that engine is still sweet. Uses no oil etc and pulls like a train

Sent from my Lenovo TB-7304F using Tapatalk
ctele likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 21-10-18, 11:57 PM   #7

"from -20 degrees to 38 degrees"

That is a big difference in temperature!! How many days or weeks are you driving around in 38degree weather though? Could you possibly not stress the engine out as much when its above 35c?

Ideal oil would be Total Ineo ECS 5W30.... but if driving in prolonged and sustained 38c weather, then you would be better off with a 5W40 engine oil... but it would have to be C2 level. That oil is more expensive though.
ctele likes this.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 22-10-18, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
"from -20 degrees to 38 degrees"

That is a big difference in temperature!! How many days or weeks are you driving around in 38degree weather though? Could you possibly not stress the engine out as much when its above 35c?

Ideal oil would be Total Ineo ECS 5W30.... but if driving in prolonged and sustained 38c weather, then you would be better off with a 5W40 engine oil... but it would have to be C2 level. That oil is more expensive though.
Of course, what I've described here was the extreme temperatures. Usually, I don't like to stress the engine in very hot days. Mostly, in the summer days I drive the car below 35 degrees Celsius. In the winter, I had some days where I used to drive it at -20 or -18 degrees, but just a few days.
Old 22-10-18, 11:17 AM   #9

Total Ineo ECS 5W30 will be just fine in that case There's a temperature oil gauge, outside temperature doesn't matter much because the car is able to cool the oil down somewhat. If you see the oil temp climbing up, that's when you need to be concerned.

Last edited by BiGK; 22-10-18 at 11:20 AM.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in