BVA AM6B auto box - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-16, 05:21 PM   #1

Default BVA AM6B auto box

I had the box in my 407HDI S/W skip into neutral and then thump into gear yesterday, probably between 2nd-3rd. This is the first time I have had any issues with the box, no previous noises, grinding etc... One of my previous 406HDI with the AL4 box did this (among other things) and replacing the 2 solenoid valves fixed it.

Research on this box suggests the valve body is a definite weakness. However, it only seems to be available as a complete unit, and I would shudder to think what the local stealer would want for one over here. Has anyone tried to service the valve body? i.e. replace O-rings etc..

I am going to check/replace the oil today to see if it makes any difference (with the correct tranny fluid, of course). Also check for filings/burned fluid...

Anyone have any hints/advice/experience in getting this sorted?
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-16, 02:39 AM   #2

Ok, have done a partial 3L transmission oil change, will do another one tomorrow (thurs) and one on friday. If the fluid looks clean enough then, will leave it there, but may do another on sat.

For those who struggle through Diagbox, I traced the path through it to reset the gearbox oil counter for my particular vehicle (2008 407 HDi S/W). I have not reset it yet, will do that when I do the final partial oil change.

So, steps to reset the counter in diagbox V7.57..
1. Select REPAIR on the top tab.
2. Let it inspect all available modules, when it is finished, select the gearbox (AM6B in my case) for a single diagnosis.
3. Select PACK REPAIR.
4. Select REPLACEMENT PARTS.
5. Select REPLACEMENT OF PARTS.
6. Select REPLACEMENT OF GEARBOX OIL.
This will then allow you to reset the counter to Zero. Mine is currently on 4784712... No wonder it is spitting its dummy!
Old 07-12-16, 07:22 AM   #3
Inactive User

WillNZ, have you fixed this problem yet?
Addison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-16, 04:50 PM   #4

Not sure, have only started doing an tranny oil change which will take a few days to complete as you can only extract 3L at a time. Once complete, hopefully it will improve matters.

In saying that, my car has only done this once, with no errors displayed on the dash nor in a Diagbox scan, so is in its very early days of 'failure'.

Research now tells me that the only certain way of correcting the issue is by replacing the valve body. I might have found an overhaul kit but am weighing it up as it is not a simple swap old valve for new valve job (like in the AL4 box), but appears to involve some machining. Still digging for proper answers...
Old 21-02-17, 05:34 PM   #5

Update on this..

I carried out 4 partial flushes [3 litres each time] over about a week, then did a wear counter reset with Diagbox. It definitely changed the way the box shifts [much better/more positive] and have not had any flaring in about 6000kms of driving.

Here's hoping..
Old 08-08-17, 08:45 PM   #6

Went through your thread, and its quite illuminating.

Please, how do you gauge the AM6 gearbox in making sure the gear oil is at the level it is meant to be seeing that there is no dipstick for that purpose.

This is something that has bothered me for a while moreso that in this part of the world, getting service centres is almost an impossible venture.
Dapromz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-17, 10:45 PM   #7

Fill it till oil comes from the drain plug? Not sure to be honest.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-17, 12:24 AM   #8

Firstly you need Diagbox/PP2000 to get live readings from the auto box. Start engine and work the auto box through all gears. Do this till gearbox oil temp reaches 60C, put gearbox in park with engine idling, then remove the small torx plug from the centre of the large drain plug. If oil comes out of the plug, let it drain till it stops, replace the torx plug and level is ok.

If you dont get any oil out of the drain, stop the motor, add 500ml oil through the filling plug on top of the gearbox [large torx head bolt partly obscured under the battery tray], restart engine, and repeat procedure above.

IMPORTANT.. Getting the oil temp up to 60C is critical. More or less and the level will not be correct.

You must make sure you use the correct grade oil as the AM6 box uses different oils depending on what it is fitted to. The incorrect oil will not make for a happy gearbox....
Old 09-08-17, 08:28 PM   #9

Thanks WilliNZ and Xlineiain.

Very helpful lead .

Meanwhile WilliNZ, when I am working the box through all the gears, will I do that with the car at standstill or I drive around,?

I am using Toyota type T iv. That seems to be the recommended for my AM6 mated to a ES V6 engine.
Dapromz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-17, 08:37 PM   #10

While stationary, foot on brake, work through all gears one at a time.

Servicebox has the following regarding oils...

EURO 5 engine : AW-1 oil
EURO 4 engine : JWS 3309 ESSO oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in