Buy a used RT3 or an Android stereo? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-19, 09:24 PM   #1

Default Buy a used RT3 or an Android stereo?

So, I'm thinking of upgrading the radio in my 407sw. It just has the basic RD4 factory fitted radio with the orange screen that goes black as soon as the heating goes on.

I'm wondering, if I buy one of the Android touchscreen radios:
Will I lose the functions on the original radio, like setting the time, air conditioning display and options like single\dual control etc? Or can I control them from an Android stereo?

And other things like auto-headlights, temperature, and other various options on the RD4?

I assume I'll also have to get an adapter cable.

Bonus questions:
Will I be needing some sort of bracket for an exact fit?
Isn't it kind of silly having the old radio still sitting in there if it's no longer being used?

Or would I be better off getting a used RT3 with all the bells and whistles?

It's 2006 so I'm also thinking about how long before it goes to the scrapyard..

Has anybody installed an aftermarket Android stereo? Or one of those cheap mirror-link ones?
Advertisement

Old 07-01-19, 12:38 AM   #2

I wouldn't bother with an RT3 unit. You won't be gaining much functionality. The maps runs off a disc making it slow.

RT4/5 would be better due to the much better looking screen and hard drive based maps along with speed cameras, however with the age of these, both the RT3/4/5 only have maps until Q4 2015.

Both of these options will be a pain in the ass for you. You will need to figure out the GPS sensor location and wiring etc

I am currently looking to either upgrade my RT4 to an android chinese headunit or hopefully get the small screen and vehicle functionality working with an adaptor and a Alpine/Sony etc headunit.
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-19, 01:00 AM   #3

Nice one.

Yea, I was thinking I'd have more flexibility with the Android, so I got one on eBay about an hour ago. It was only £60 so even if it's crap I'll get an idea about how it works and the limitations of it, etc.
I'll probably have to make some sort of frame for it too as I think it's a few mm too small.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-7-inc...wAAOSwIddcI0yj

Old 07-01-19, 11:31 AM   #4

With a generic android headunit, you will lose ALL vehicle controls (HVAC, Parking assist, Headlamp control etc).

You would need a custom Android headunit made for a 407 which is largely plug and play to retain some of these functions....however it can be hit or miss and I haven't found one that looks OEM and integrates all OEM functions perfectly.
Old 07-01-19, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGK View Post
With a generic android headunit, you will lose ALL vehicle controls (HVAC, Parking assist, Headlamp control etc).

You would need a custom Android headunit made for a 407 which is largely plug and play to retain some of these functions....however it can be hit or miss and I haven't found one that looks OEM and integrates all OEM functions perfectly.

Do you know if you can get any of these functions back using a bluetooth OBD tool, and torque, or some other app? I know you can get some info to the display, like revs, speed, etc.
Depending on how it goes I might try and cut up the old frame to fit the Android into it, or get one 3D printed to fit. Or, hell, I might just buy a 3D printer. Been meaning to for a while anyway.

Last edited by noddy-hol; 07-01-19 at 02:42 PM.
gijoe50000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-19, 03:16 PM   #6

OBD is only for diagnostics and that's a definite no go.

You could use this:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/inst...everse-adaptor

But you would have to replace that orange screen anyway as this needs it to work.
Old 07-01-19, 07:51 PM   #7
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

The factory systems are old now, and for some maps have now been discontinued.

Off-the-shelf I'd be looking at something like this
CES AUTOS Limited. Peugeot 407 Android 8.0 V5588

For a DIY-tablet job I reckon you'd need to:
* be an Android developer
* reverse engineer Peugeot's CAN bus commands and responses.
(I am working on these.)
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-19, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post

(I am working on these.)
Maps have been discontinued on all the factory systems for 407. RNEG is the only one you can get 2016 maps for but that's it, no further.

How far have you gotten on your journey? I would be interested in a custom system too.
Old 11-01-19, 12:54 AM   #9

If you look at Aliexpress and specify peugeot 407 there are android units to fit the 407 specifically with the can bus interface supporting aircon and other controls etc.

You may have to play with the built in equaliser to make the sound output equivalent. It might sound a little empty otherwise as manufacturers spend time and money making the stereo output good for vehicles these days.
chipboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-01-19, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb View Post

Off-the-shelf I'd be looking at something like this
CES AUTOS Limited. Peugeot 407 Android 8.0 V5588

(I am working on these.)
So the stereo I ordered (link above) arrived a few days ago. And I half installed it but I still have some issues to sort out:
  • Need to get a fascia for it, or cut up the factory one to fit the screen in.
  • Need to get a radio antenna adapter. Think they're called Fakras
  • Need to get the steering controls working

I tried connecting the "keys" wire from the stereo to one of the can buses on the radio harness, and the car started doing really weird stuff. The rev counter and fuel gauge started jumping around the place, there some was beeping noises, and general mayhem.

I know there's can bus adapters available alright. Might pick one up in the future, maybe. I'd be interested to know how you're working on the can signals? Hardware? Software?

My initial thoughts were that something like this should be easy to integrate into an Android app. Just record each signal, and then map it to a function in the app. But I assume there's more to it than that, or someone would have done it already!

Besides these issues it's all working fine, gps navigation, music etc. The unit also boots up relatively quickly (10-20s) and is quite quick and responsive. It also includes a reverse camera. Not bad for £60.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in