Broken sliding joint on 2.0 HDI 407 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-11, 01:22 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Broken sliding joint on 2.0 HDI 407

Hi all, being that im new here, my name is Iva, im 22 and i own this nice gray 407 that i love with all my heart. Now i got a problem with it, car is 2004 2.0 HDI.

What happened is, I turned the steering wheel full left and I accelerated from standstill to get out of gas station before the oncoming car was too close.

By no means did i floor it or anything like that, just gave it a bit of power to get going. Then i heard a loud knock and the car started... well imagine being in a boat going over small waves. So figuring something got broken i checked the wheels and figured its good to drive to my friends house to park it as its closer than my house.

There after her dad came out so we can figure if its CV (homokinetic) joint or maybe servo we tried again full left turn with bit of acc. when an even louder whack happened and car was blocked uphill, couldnt go forward, couldnt go reverse. Steering wheel was also blocked. After a bit of struggling i managed to get the steering wheel straight to straighten the wheels out and with a bit of acc on reverse again the knock was heard and the car was free to move.

Now scared s***less i limped back to their house and parked it there for the night.

In the morning mechanic came and we saw some oil next to the engine, its right side when you are looking at the engine, or should i say, next to cars left front wheel. Mechanic said it might be a "left joint at gearbox", now i searched some books and only other better name i could find was "gliding joint" or "sliding joint". We checked homokinetic joint and everything else we could get our hands on and it was all ok.

Any ideas what this could be, and does anyone know better name for it, or even better a part number? Its obviously something thats impacted by both steering and power transmission, but is not CV.

Anyone else had this happen on their car?

Regards,
Iva
battlestar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-07-11, 01:37 PM   #2
Inactive User

Broken driveshaft?
sebasteeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-11, 02:19 PM   #3
Inactive User

If it was driveshaft, would it be able to run at all. The car still goes kinda ok, but only if wheels are straight, if i make the full turn the same happens again.

Old 24-07-11, 10:08 PM   #4
davidireland

Is the track rod bent? ie the shaft coming out of the steering rack?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-07-11, 10:18 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidireland View Post
Is the track rod bent? ie the shaft coming out of the steering rack?
Im sorry, im not really sure what that is, but searching the google images and looking at this image below i would say that it is not bent, tho i am not 100% sure.

Also, what would you call that part circled in black and red. From what the guy told me, i figure he meant the thing in black? Would that breaking cause it to block both wheel and steering?
Attached Thumbnails
what.jpg  
Old 25-07-11, 10:40 AM   #6
Inactive User

By looking at the Peugeot's service box: Peugeot Service Box 3 32E21A&idFct=FCT0019

I figure it is the driveshaft thingy at number 1. But what do you call that part, and is it separate from driveshaft or?
Old 25-07-11, 07:53 PM   #7
Inactive User

Allrighty, so turns out in fact it is the cylindrical thingy on left driveshaft.

Does anyone know name of it, and can it be bought separate or only with driveshaft?

Cheers
Old 14-08-11, 09:59 PM   #8
Inactive User

Just a small update for future reference in case anyone ever happens to be in same situation. I got the left driveshaft replaced, as the joint on the right side of it (opposite of CV joint) was completely broken. Cost me 150EUR at the scrapyard.

One unfortunate result from this was that the broken driveshaft hit the gearbox cover and made a hole in it thru which the oil leaked out, had that fixed with liquid metal thingy, all is good now, now im a happy camper.

The end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in