Bought a 407 2.7hdi Coupe yesterday, depollution fault now! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > 407
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-13, 10:55 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Bought a 407 2.7hdi Coupe yesterday, depollution fault now!

Hello All,

I searched and searched for quite a while looking for the right 407 Coupe that I wanted, finally decided one in Leeds was the one for me and took a drive up there (From Watford, 170 odd miles) yesterday to give it a test drive. It drove beautifully around town and when I got back from my test drive I decided I was going to buy it. The car had very low fuel and so I stopped at the first petrol station(BP) I could find and filled it with diesel, I continued then on my way home, about 100 miles into my journey I stopped on the motorway at the services and when I got back in the car and started it up I got an error message on the screen stating there was a fault with the depollution system and an engine management light appeared on the dash. The car drove perfectly fine the rest of the way home and the only sign of any problems is the little warning on the dash.

I've read lots of posts on Google about this fault with different people saying different things, I've seen a lot of mentions of the type of diesel put into the car causing the fault. Could it be I filled up with bad diesel from the BP garage? I've seen lots of mentions of different sensors too and DPF replacements, with some scary prices mentioned.

Is it worth me running this diesel down, filling up with some decent diesel and resetting the ECU or should I be making that 170 mile trip back to the garage that sold it to me and demanding a refund?

Thanks for any help,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-13, 10:59 AM   #2

I doubt the diesel is the issue to be honest depolution faults are usually particulate filter related it really needs plugged in to planet to see what the issue really is could be glowplugs not working could be something more serious

Glowplugs are needed for filter regeneration on these its not really anything to do with starting
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-13, 11:16 AM   #3
Inactive User

OK thanks reliable, I imagine I'm going to have to take it back to the garage where I purchased it and see what they can do, which is a massive 178 mile pain but I'm not really willing to fork out any cash for a diagnosis and then possibly a repair the day after I buy a car and I don't have access to the planet software.

Old 10-03-13, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulus View Post
Hello All,

I searched and searched for quite a while looking for the right 407 Coupe that I wanted, finally decided one in Leeds was the one for me and took a drive up there (From Watford, 170 odd miles) yesterday to give it a test drive. It drove beautifully around town and when I got back from my test drive I decided I was going to buy it. The car had very low fuel and so I stopped at the first petrol station(BP) I could find and filled it with diesel, I continued then on my way home, about 100 miles into my journey I stopped on the motorway at the services and when I got back in the car and started it up I got an error message on the screen stating there was a fault with the depollution system and an engine management light appeared on the dash. The car drove perfectly fine the rest of the way home and the only sign of any problems is the little warning on the dash.

I've read lots of posts on Google about this fault with different people saying different things, I've seen a lot of mentions of the type of diesel put into the car causing the fault. Could it be I filled up with bad diesel from the BP garage? I've seen lots of mentions of different sensors too and DPF replacements, with some scary prices mentioned.

Is it worth me running this diesel down, filling up with some decent diesel and resetting the ECU or should I be making that 170 mile trip back to the garage that sold it to me and demanding a refund?

Thanks for any help,

Paul
no good now i know but you should have rung the garage when you was at the service station only 100 mile back trip. get it touch with the garage that sold it they may say take to your local peugeot dealer.
100brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-13, 11:53 AM   #5
davidireland

Default Re: Bought a 407 2.7hdi Coupe yesterday, depollution fault now!

The curse of Ford is on you. get a diagnostic check done. Post up faults.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-13, 12:26 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100brian View Post
no good now i know but you should have rung the garage when you was at the service station only 100 mile back trip. get it touch with the garage that sold it they may say take to your local peugeot dealer.
They had already shut unfortunately otherwise I would have done that I've called the garage now but the guy who sold it to me isn't in and the other salesman "wasn't able to help..." so I will call back in the morning and see what solution they can offer me.

Quote:
The curse of Ford is on you. get a diagnostic check done. Post up faults.
My surname ends in ford aswell, it is a curse!
Old 10-03-13, 01:36 PM   #7
Inactive User

Hi there

Sorry, to hear you new car has an issue!!! Not nice.

But, don't despair yet!!!

First - age and mileage of car? It sounds like the DPF system needs a service. When it does, a warning will come up on dash board - like the one you've got.

Are you able to check the eloys fluid level?

Also, after you've got this issue sorted, do an oil change!! Start your own OCI. I recommend Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 for this car. Good cleaning properties but change regularly. I'll be doing 5k oil changes.

The previous owner of my car did every 2 years. Or every 3k!!! Should be at least once a year.

I have the same car. Red with white leather. Only 35k on clock. Had it for three weeks.
savs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-13, 02:11 PM   #8
CAB

Default Re: Bought a 407 2.7hdi Coupe yesterday, depollution fault now!

As David has already said diagnostic is needed to find the fault, depollution system fault is a generic term, it could be anything so don't just jump to the conclusion it's the dpf like most do. Faulty egr will flag up the same warning. Plus low additive in tank would give a different warning.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-13, 02:29 PM   #9
Inactive User

@ CAB - good advice. I agree, get fault codes read. I didn't know EGR fault will throw that warning. Still learning!!! Just thinking check eloys fluid as he can do that before taking to garage.

@ OP, If you intend keeping this car, you should get Peugeot Planet? I'm getting it as I think it will be needed!
savs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-13, 08:25 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by savs View Post
@ CAB - good advice. I agree, get fault codes read. I didn't know EGR fault will throw that warning. Still learning!!! Just thinking check eloys fluid as he can do that before taking to garage.

@ OP, If you intend keeping this car, you should get Peugeot Planet? I'm getting it as I think it will be needed!
Injector seals caused depollution system faulty message for me. Injector #1 was making a chuffing noise, noticable mostly on a cold start.

I tightened up the little allen key bolt below the injector by 1/4 turn and depollution is now off and car is running better too.

I'd say it's worth taking the rocker cover off and seeing if you can feel any air escaping around the injectors, the seals are quite a common issue on this engine.
cgarr04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in